Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
JukeBoxHero OP
Wasn't me, I swear.

Oddometer: 13
Question Fuzeblock FZ1 Switched Power Question

Hi Folks,

This is my first post here, been lurking for a good while before registering. If I've posted in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.

I have a 2010 Shadow RS, and I've installed Skene Design P3 brake lights with the IQ-160 controller, and have also installed small LED aux lights up front controlled by the Skene Design IQ-175 controller for conspicuity and visibility.

My wiring job is a mess, so I want to use the FZ1 to clean up the wiring, but instead of using switched power from the bike, I want a toggle switch on my handlebar to fire up the aux lights, P3's, and controllers. The only reason I want to do this is so I can have light and visibility without requiring the key to be switched on. ie. helping somebody at night without leaving the bike's key in the ignition. The low LED draw should allow me to use the lights for a good long time before I get worried about push starting.

I have a couple questions about this kind of setup:
1.) On the FZ1, does the switched power wire just close the onboard relay to route power to the switched side of board through the + and - battery connections?

2.) Assuming the answer to (1) is "yes", is it a really bad idea to run the switched wire from the FZ1 to the toggle, then to the + battery terminal? I'd be afraid of somehow grounding out the switch and having a shockingly fun experience. Would I instead need a relay to route the power to the switched wire? It seems strange to run a relay in front of a relay.... I just can't think of another way to have a keyless switched power firing up my aux lights and P3's.

3.) Am I overthinking this? I really like the idea of minimizing connections at the battery since I have so little room under the seat as it is, but I'm not sure how to do this plus have the utility of the FZ1 without putting a mile of extra wiring on the bike.

Any suggestions are welcome. Please be gentle - it's my first time.

J
JukeBoxHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #2
Toolferone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Okay, I just looked at the wiring diagram on their website. The switched power input looks to be just a trigger wire. It is only powering the relay. I don't see any problem running that through a toggle switch. Just some 18ga wire should handle it with no problem. As I'm sure yo know, if you leave it on by accident to long it will kill your battery.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
jasonmt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
The FZ-1 has two fuse positions for every circuit, in one position the circuit is switched on / off via the relay and trigger wire part of the FZ-1 and in the other fuse position the circuit is hooked directly to the battery. Changing a circuit in the FZ-1 is as easy as moving the fuse from on position to another.

IE in the picture below the 10 and 3 amp circuits are constant and the 5 and 2 amp circuits are switched.

So basically if you wanted "to have a keyless switched power firing up my aux lights and P3's" all you would need to do is wire up the Fuzeblock as per the instructions, hook up your aux lights and P3's with a circuit off of the Fuzeblock and put that circuits fuse in the bottom position (constant) instead of the top position (switched) like all of the fuses are in the picture below. If you want to change the circuit your aux lights and P3's are on to switched later all you have to do is pop off the cover on the fuzeblock and move the fuse position:

jasonmt screwed with this post 02-12-2015 at 12:01 PM Reason: Found a picture of my install
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
Dan Diego
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
The Fuzeblock FZ-1 is a fine piece of equipment.

1. Yes.

2. No, that's fine. Toggling your lights --or any other accessory from the FZ1-- is fine. It just comes down to if you want them to be switched or not. It's easy to swap them, either way.

3. You are seriously overthinking this.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
JukeBoxHero OP
Wasn't me, I swear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolferone View Post
Okay, I just looked at the wiring diagram on their website. The switched power input looks to be just a trigger wire. It is only powering the relay. I don't see any problem running that through a toggle switch. Just some 18ga wire should handle it with no problem. As I'm sure yo know, if you leave it on by accident to long it will kill your battery.
Thanks Toolferone - yup, running down the battery is a risk so I may just hide the switch somewhere out of sight, but convenient enough for me not to forget about it. The only time I'd really need to touch it is at the start or end of a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
The FZ-1 has two fuse positions for every circuit, in one position the circuit is switched on / off via the relay and trigger wire part of the FZ-1 and in the other fuse position the circuit is hooked directly to the battery. Changing a circuit in the FZ-1 is as easy as moving the fuse from on position to another.

IE in the picture below the 10 and 3 amp circuits are constant and the 5 and 2 amp circuits are switched.

So basically if you wanted "to have a keyless switched power firing up my aux lights and P3's" all you would need to do is wire up the Fuzeblock as per the instructions, hook up your aux lights and P3's with a circuit off of the Fuzeblock and put that circuits fuse in the bottom position (constant) instead of the top position (switched) like all of the fuses are in the picture below. If you want to change the circuit your aux lights and P3's are on to switched later all you have to do is pop off the cover on the fuzeblock and move the fuse position:
Thanks so much jasonmt. The pics help immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
The Fuzeblock FZ-1 is a fine piece of equipment.

1. Yes.

2. No, that's fine. Toggling your lights --or any other accessory from the FZ1-- is fine. It just comes down to if you want them to be switched or not. It's easy to swap them, either way.

3. You are seriously overthinking this.
Thanks Dan. On point 3, it's something I hear very rarely...

Thanks for your help everybody. Much appreciated!

J
Old 02-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
blrfjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
The FZ1 is awesome and very user friendly. You'll be happy with it.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
JukeBoxHero OP
Wasn't me, I swear.

FuzeBlock Installed

Alrighty - I ordered the FuzeBlock, then I needed to wait until it was warm enough that my hands wouldn't freeze to my tools. But, lo and behold, the FuzeBlock is finally installed on the bike.

It took a few test fits to find a suitable mounting spot on a naked bike since the unit was a little larger than I was envisioning (even with measurements in hand), but I ended up moving the two Skene controllers I had originally mounted under the left side cover and installed the FuzeBlock there instead.

Nice little unit, and it really cleaned up my wiring job. I installed the unit with the trigger wire going to a switched power source instead of a toggle as I was originally thinking in my first post. Just made things simpler and I wouldn't have to worry about somebody screwing with my bike and draining the battery on me. Next plan is to wire in a pigtail for my battery tender, but that'll be an easy job now.

Sorry for the thread revival, but I wanted to let folks know that the advice I received really helped.