Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
AGrant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Considering a Tiger...Advice is Welcome!

So, I'm in between bikes right now and the Tiger 800XCx is on my radar along with some others. I'm trying to decide WHAT type riding I will mostly be doing. Any advice is welcome!

A little more on me. Grew up riding...too a long break, bought a KLX250s to get my feet wet again, got my endorsement, and enjoyed the heck out of it other than a few quirky things. Decided to sell it and here we are, looking for a new bike.

I love riding gravel roads and exploring. I'm considering another 250 (WR250R) but don't want to lock myself in just yet. I mostly leave the house, drive the pavement, mix in gravel roads, and not much single track. If I got the 250, I would do more single track. The reason I'm also considering the Tiger is that my wife could get on the back and we could take off for a few hour ride, stay at a bed and breakfast, then come home the next day. CANT do that on a 250. The 250 would be fun, but a different kind of fun.

If I got the Tiger, I could commute (including interstate travel), run gravel roads, take the wife on trips, and even drive the darn thing from Mississippi to pretty much anywhere.

But, if I got the 250, I could do all those things except take the wife, but I could add in single track.

I'm so darn confused! HA. But it fun ready everyone's opinions.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Texasclouds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
get the 250, roller skates, rope...then later maybe a lawyer...
Texasclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
TigerTanker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
The bike is heavy. It isn't going to do much more than bad gravel or dirt roads. I like the advice that if it is meant for an ATV, then you could probably run a Tiger on it.

I had a MC bike as a teen, a street bike as a 20 something, now late 40s and just bought the Tiger xcx and absolutely love the thing. Even as a teen, the dirt bike was mostly used for logging roads, exploring, etc. The bike is mucho powerful enough for a wife passenger. I get compliments on the bike everywhere I go, and the enthusiasts are well aware of the reputation of the bike.

I am going to do the opposite of you. I will probably get a slightly used 250 enduro/dirt bike to satisfy my darkest and dirtiest desires.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
TigerTanker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasclouds View Post
get the 250, roller skates, rope...then later maybe a lawyer...
lol!!
Old 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
I love my Tiger. Guilty of taking it where I should have taken the KLR. Is it a handful, yes, but it is a ton o fun. She is also a great sport touring motorcycle also. She has handled much more than a groomed gravel with grace and ease. When you start getting to baby heads and/or rock gardens then you feel all her weight.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
AGrant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Thanks so far. Let me clarify...the gravel roads I will be riding are for the most part pretty well groomed. They zig zag through back country areas, but people do live on them and drive them with cars if that helps. I will do the occasional trip through the National Forests but again, stay on service roads that are fairly well taken care of. Would not really intend to take this bike on demanding terrain...cause I'm just not capable of that kind of riding.

Now, long distance touring on backroads and gravel....YES!
Old 06-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 335
Greetings,

First you are going to drop it. Get over it.
I have its larger brother, the TEX. I have taken it places where there is NO way I should have been. I was over my skill but the bike was ok with that....till I dropped it in Colorado, and Utah, and well several times.
They are a bit heavy so be ut ready for that.
Treat the bike and the ride with respect and you will be fine. Load it like a pack mule and flog it like a rented mule. It will keep coming back for more.

You will LOVE that triple.

Da Monk
Old 06-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
Black Rhino
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
If you want a good do it all (well , it's not a cruiser , and it's not an MX'r ) bike , the Tiger line is hard to beat.
Black Rhino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
It's a Big Dirt Bike

Like others have said, you can take it on some fairly technical stuff and come out alive, but you will work harder than on a smaller bike and it's a beast to pick up.

If you stay on forest roads - no problems - you will love it. But don't underestimate it's abilities on more challenging terrain. It can do all the Back Country Discovery Route stuff because they planned those out for big bikes. I have done them on the XCX and will take it to Alaska next summer. I took my dirt bike for the TAT and will be for the CDT, just give up too much fun by taking the bigger bike.

It's great to have choices, keep the 250 and get the XCX.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Most of your riding is on paved roads or graveled roads, you want to commute and possibly take your wife way for the weekend. The XRx is a better choice than the XCx it will handle better on the road is capable of the dirt you will ride and has the same engine as the XCx.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
I recently sold my WR250R -- I was disappointed in it -- so gutless under 4k. I'm much happier with an XR250 or XR400 for the tight stuff. My Tiger XCX is the cat's meow for everything else. I've had about every other kind of dual sport from KLR 650, DR650, DL650, XR650R, Stelvio, KTM950, Tenere, etc. and, for me, the new Tiger really ticks all of the boxes. It's only draw back is not having a wide ratio transmission. If it weren't for the fact that the motor is extremely flexible, the tranny ratios would have been a real issue.

Take your wife along and share/build memories together.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
roll_it_on
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
You just described two bikes. If you don't need new then buy a used XC as there are lots of hardly used one available and then with what you save buy yourself a cheap plated dirt bike or other light weight dual sport for the technical stuff. I love both of my bikes for what they are - the right tool for the job
Old 06-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #13
TigerTanker
Gnarly Adventurer

Tat, cdt?
Old 06-26-2015, 03:36 AM   #14
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTanker View Post
Tat, cdt?

TAT

http://www.transamtrail.com/

CDT

http://www.continentaldividetrail.org/

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723916
Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #15
TigerTanker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Wow, thanks.

And to think I played the same F'n golf course for the last 8 yrs over and over....