User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 AM   #1
dthogey OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
New Tires for the Tiger $$$$$$$

I decided to get some new tires for my Tiger 800. I thought I would throw my local power sport dealer some business.

We looked thru the catalog together and I decided to try the Perelli rally tires, I did not ask for any prices at all, when the tires came in I just dropped the bike off for the tires to be installed.

They called when the tires were on and went up to pay the bill.......what a shock......the rear tire cost around $230, the front tire was around $200 and installation was $230 or so......the total bill for 2 new tires was $669.

I was shocked.........so much for doing business locally and not asking for prices.

He insists that he is right in line price wise and admits that I could have bought the tires online for the same price that he did. I know that there is a convenience factor there but that seems steep to me.

Am I out of line????

Kalkaska MI
2009 BMW K1200LT
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
dthogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
HighRiver
taking the checkered

Oddometer: 110

Sounds like you paid full MSRP plus 2-1/2hrs shop labour. I'd ask for the labour costs back or tell them you'll post their name everywhere online about them taking advantage of you.
You still should've asked though.....
I paid full MSRP for 1 tyre once but I was in the middle of a trip and hit the shop at close. I had no choice.
Motomarathon, CO. 2010 ASMA #309
IBA#34978~ SS1000~ 10.11.08
B2B Insanity~ BB1500~ 10.17.10
Alaska Blog-http://3umphak.wordpress.com/
HighRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Air_Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=265_346_951

Are these the tires? This is where I buy tires. Usually the best deal I can find.
'08 Triumph Sprint ST
'03 Suzuki DL1000, '03 Triumph Sprint ST
Air_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Bring your new tires to me next time. I'll mount them for $200.

Like they say,"Sorry about your luck!"
Old 05-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
dthogey OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Bob View Post
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=265_346_951

Are these the tires? This is where I buy tires. Usually the best deal I can find.
That is them, WOW I'm even more angry now

Kalkaska MI
2009 BMW K1200LT
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
dthogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
I just put on a set of Pilot road trail 4's from my dealer and the bill including installation was $470. I usually research prices from online stores and he has always matched them. Labor to install is $35 per tire.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,746
Never go to a dealership for tire changes. Their prices are always insane. It's important to keep in mind that since they buy tires in small numbers, their costs are usually the same as what you can find online (sometimes even higher since they go through certain distributors), and then they add their own markup AND labor.

I long ago learned how to change tires myself. I buy online, have them shipped to my door, and do the change whenever is convenient. Having a dealer change the tires for me, I'd still need to pull the wheels off the bike (dealerships charge hefty shop time if you bring them the whole bike), then drive the wheels over, drop them off, go pick them up again the next day or whenever they're ready, drive them back home, and remount them. Or I can save the inconvenience, time, and cost -- it takes me about 15 minutes to remove the old tire from a wheel and mount the new one (and that's with a tube -- tubeless is much quicker -- and using tire irons, not a changing machine). Balancing used to take another 5 minutes or so, but now takes no time at all because I use dynabeads.

Dealer tire changes are such a scam.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
Black Rhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
You got ripped. Pity dealers treat their customers like that. Look up the tires you purchased on line (for price comparison) , and sit down with the store GM and ask him if he feels like you got treated fairly. I have always carried just my wheels to my dealer , so I can't speak to the cost of doing the job start to finish , but I've pulled my wheels twice in 8K miles.......start to finish in my garage at my lazy pace is probably a solid hour to remove and install.

I just purchased everything needed to start doing my own tires. Did my own dirt tires for years , time to get back to it.
Black Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I buy tires on line usually (local dealer doesn't mind, he makes no money on them anyway...). He installs them for $18 each, off the bike. I just take him the wheel and the new tire.... I know he would charge more if he had to take the wheel on and off the bike, but it wouldn't be $200!!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
The problem is that we as consumers tolerate this treatment. An educated consumer base (like we are) can help bring retailers around so that they don't mistreat us without consequence. Once we figure out who the poor and greedy retailers are (yes, I know they have over head but there is a limit to taking advantage of someone) we can take action to not use them as our source of parts and support for our recreation of choice.

Power to the MOTO people!
BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
2006 Buell Ulysses
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #11
skipn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
I buy tires on line usually (local dealer doesn't mind, he makes no money on them anyway...). He installs them for $18 each, off the bike. I just take him the wheel and the new tire.... I know he would charge more if he had to take the wheel on and off the bike, but it wouldn't be $200!!!
Same here. Including tire disposal. Most dealers around won't do tires unless you buy from them for big bucks. He's an indy shop, and I always throw a few dollars more his way than charged--you make a little, I save a little. And I have him do mechanical stuff that doesn't require dealer support just to help keep him in business. Dealer gets whatever I or he can't manage.

If I hadn't had dealers screw me on tire replacement, maybe they'd get all my business.
skipn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
NOTAGAIN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Dealer installed

Bought on line (TKC 70's) and Triumph dealer in Beaverton, OR mounted, balanced, lubed chain, and did ride check of bike including disposal fee for $89.00 Seems fair to me. He offered to meet on line price on next set of tires.
NOTAGAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:57 AM   #13
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey View Post

Am I out of line????

Not at all. Just nutz.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:22 PM   #14
TriTi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
dang... you just got owned...

I have never paid more than $65 for a mount and balance of a tire, and when I paid that I was shocked at how steep it was. I'm a cheap arse though and always do my research before pulling the trigger to make sure that I'm getting at least a deal, preferably a great deal.

What is the name of the shop so I know to never go near them?