Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #1486
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I prefer the looks to the F800GS, I just can't get into the asymmetrical headlights. As for the 'Stroms, too much plastic for a bike for dodgy surfaces, plus ugly in person. It's weird, the Stroms look really good in photos to me, blech in person.

I'm looking forward to more in depth info such as where the is fuel carried, maintenance intervals, ease of service, mileage, but so far, it's looking like a winner in my book.

Those panniers though, honkin' huge!
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #1487
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12
A Husqvarna TE610 / TE630 barely makes this weight. Wet they are 335 and 360 lbs. respectively. Yes, change the exhaust, etc. to loose a little.

The Aprilia twins won't make this weight if you upgrade them to ADV requirements, and then they are still race bikes. Even if you detune the cams.

If you are going to use a race bike as an example, pick a Rally bike. KTM, Yamaha, etc. Endurance based, some plastic, and adequate fuel, although not necessarily a steel subframe for gear. Still not 375 lbs. wet.

Come the other way and lighten an SV, Versys, or even a Ducati twin. Look on this site for those threads. Not even close to 375 lbs.

You just will not get a twin down to this weight range without hyper-exotic materials (think titanium, magnesium, ultra-high strength steel and carbon fiber) and then they will become cost prohibitive. The engines weigh more, the transmissions have to handle more power, the frames & suspensions have to handle both the power and the extra weight. There is no free lunch.

Sorry, but with today's technology, it's just a dream.

Now, I'm not against dreaming. Let's see what Husqvarna does with the F800 Rotax twin motor. My prediction: The Husky version will come in at 425 lbs. wet. I believe that the F800GS is about 460 lbs. wet, so that will be a reduction of about 35 lbs. assuming the same size fuel tank. Anyone care to make a different prediction?

[Better yet, give me a real ADV thumper with that mythical dual-range transmission.]
Spot on!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #1488
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan
The RXV does not require engine rebuilt every 40 hours, that's quite an exaggeration.

I have an 09 RXV 550 and yes it is a very nice bike but runs very hot and mileage is quite bad. I knew all that up front so no real complaint. Just keep an eye on the engine oil level, I add about 50 ml every hundred miles, and do oil changes every 1500 miles. Valve/compression check etc. every 6000 miles for non-racing use.

Any bike will require higher maintenance for racing and the RXV is no exception. If has a diff maintenance schedule for "Competition use", similar to other bikes in this class.

Once I install the 20lt IMS tank (sitting at home for an yr now), it will be my 2nd dual-sport bike. On long runs, mileage is not so bad, almost mid-30s.
Perhaps your '09 RXV is better. I've heard they are much improved reliability wise. But talk to owners/racers of '06 and '07 models.
Most who were racing did rebuild BEFORE 40 hours of racing. Road riding would go further of course. Sorry, I met RACE hours. My bad. Frickin' awesome bike!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #1489
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Thumb

...the xc 800 looks good to me!

bigger tank then the f800gs- a little more power- and a much more comfortable seat!!

maybe they (triumph) found the perfect middleclass adventure bike???

i will try it next spring (oh my god - minimum 4 months to wait) thats for sure!!

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 AM   #1490
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,631
There is no doubt I will be at the dealers in the spring when one arrives...who knows I may even take one home.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #1491
beep

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
Now, can someone tell me, what makes this bike better than a V/wee strom? Please don't tell me it's better off road.

Nice bike for sure but, not for me.
Been reading and contributing to this thread (and the "other" one) from the beginning. Have to say that now more details have been released, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the bikes. 215kg fueled for the XC - the non-ABS Wee weighs 217kg fueled and that holds 3 litres more fuel, so essentially exactly the same weight as the Wee.

Also not that impressed by the riding position I've seen so far - looks cramped. But I'll need a seat on one to confirm this.

But as someone mentioned it's got a lot more power. It's probably got better suspension too. I reckon it'll be more of a kick to ride on open roads.

Can't see me trading in my Wee for one it's just not a big enough improvment over the Wee to make it worth my while.

Star of the Milan show for me has to be the CBR600F - now that's a good looking bike - might even be enough to tempt me back to inline fours!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #1492
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,675
800 Tiger or the F800.
I think it will come down too how well is the stock suspension on the new Tiger or how well does it work compared to the stock F8 suspension.
Ill have an eye on the new Tiger for sure. But Ive already swapped out my F8 suspenders and its terrific now, at 16k miles, the bike has been absolutley bullet proof. But I still might be able to resist the jump. The tripple sounds like a F1 engine !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #1493
sailwa66
Captain Cheap A**

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter
It has a triple and remove the extra gallon of gas its weight is the same as the GS800. Thats not to bad if you ask me.
And if you ask me, they're both at least 60lbs too porky. A KTM 690E is almost 100lbs lighter than either.... dayum, those are some heavy pistons!!!!

Ducati Multistrada Adventure Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com
sailwa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #1494
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,675
True excpet for the weight of the trailer that 690 needs to get it anywhere and back.

Im kidding.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #1495
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwa66
And if you ask me, they're both at least 60lbs too porky. A KTM 690E is almost 100lbs lighter than either.... dayum, those are some heavy pistons!!!!
Apples to Oranges. That is a dirtbike no good for long distance riding. I'm sure some people do it, but the vast majority of us would not ride that on a long trip. 36"+ seat height, 3 gallons of gas.... its worthless to me.
If thats what you like cool, go buy one and be happy.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #1496
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter
Apples to Oranges. That is a dirtbike no good for long distance riding. I'm sure some people do it, but the vast majority of us would not ride that on a long trip. 36"+ seat height, 3 gallons of gas.... its worthless to me.
If thats what you like cool, go buy one and be happy.
Did a 500 mile day with someone riding a 690E. Lets just say he wasn't happy.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #1497
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Did a 500 mile day with someone riding a 690E. Lets just say he wasn't happy.
My @#$ hurts just thinking about that mileage on that thing!!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #1498
LngRidr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind
IMHO, picking up any 500lb bike 2-3-4-5 times a day will take the fight right out of most of us..

Isn't the 21"f / 17"r wheel combo kind of strange?
HEY! The KLR uses the 21/17 tire combo. Who you calling strange....
1980 Harley-Davidson FXEF
IBA# 24562
LngRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #1499
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,762
This is well-put.
I would only add that at least the old Tiger had the rake angle that allowed it to step over SOME of the obstacles one runs into in the roughs. What the new one is shouting is that Triumph spent their effort on window dressing - probably trying to cosmetize some of the complaints about the Tiger 1050 being a pure road bike. BMW F8 remains unchallenged IMHO, with the one exception of the twin Katoom.
The new Tiger is just a road bike in drag. It will be skewered and grilled in any mixed-surface ride reviews against the good bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Ahem, having owned (and still own) a 2007 RXV550 for 8000 miles and well over 200hrs, the rebuild every 40hrs is old rumors that refuse to die and BS. Also the RXV has a very sturdy frame/subframe that runs steel tubes all the way to the tailight, capable of carrying luggage and I have done that with it. Mine has looped and crashed and cartwheeled more times than I remember and except for scuffed plastics, still fine, well OK blinkers break off. I also weighed it recently, wet, full 20liter tank, 304 lbs. SXV is a Supermoto bike.

Having said that, the Aprilia is no Adventure touring bike like the old Tigers or my current KTM990S (199.0 kg/438.7 pounds dry). As for what one poster a bit ago wondered where I was coming from whining about the weight.. I'm coming from having owned 3 Tigers over 10 years, and all that time wishing it was 100 lbs lighter so I could enjoy the dirt and gravel roads more. I know for a fact there were many on the original Tiger list who felt that way, and probably still do. I had lots of fun on the old Tigers, but the weight was always an issue for where I like to ride. To see the 675 pork out into an 800 that is possibly 40lbs lighter than my original '95 Tiger is far short of the mark. Maybe I'm just dreaming and will keep dreaming of a light triple.

I already have a heavy Adventure bike that is extremely capable onroad and offroad, so I guess I'll stick with that and read what the reviewers have to say about the real weight, performance, serviceability of the XC.

Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #1500
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
Now, can someone tell me, what makes this bike better than a V/wee strom? Please don't tell me it's better off road.
Come one now... what multi-cylinder adventure bike would not be better than a V/W strom? By the default, the Tiger 800 is already better.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote