ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #15031
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,071
So on my last trip I got the dreaded 'won't idle' condition after riding in some very dusty conditions. I managed with it though but as winter is here, I figure time to do some maintenance and I have a few questions...

1. stock air filter looks toast - that said, can I blow it out and re-use it ? I am going to fit my Uni pre-filter this time round.

2. I have what appears to be a breather pipe left over from somewhere It's near the front on the right as you sit on the bike - it's not one of the 2 that go into the tank at the back - is it a crank breather maybe ?

3. I cleaned the stepper motor etc. - where are folks putting the grease - just under the rubber boot or basically all over the shaft etc. ?

Cheers
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #15032
RichardU
Let's Ride
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Right on the dash. Use the wireless controller from Warm n Safe. No wires, no fuss. The beauty of this is that it moves from bike to bike by using a simple RAM mount.
+1 on the Warm 'n Safe wireless controller. Put some industrial velcro on the top or side of your brake fluid boxes and you can move the controller from bike to bike using nothing.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #15033
Rob Dirt
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So on my last trip I got the dreaded 'won't idle'

3. I cleaned the stepper motor etc. - where are folks putting the grease - just under the rubber boot or basically all over the shaft etc. ?

Cheers
You should use some all purpose spray lube that does not attract dust as bad as grease. Lube the stepper arm & the throttle roller. The throttle roller is located where the stepper motor arm is going.




I would replace the air filter.
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #15034
briansoren
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Oddometer: 15
Finally completed the Tiger...I think.

Just wanted to show the old girl off! Finally think I have all the additions complete.

Happy Trails 9" Teton Cliff cut. 24"rack width, 39" with panniers. Great Kit and service!!!!





Mega tool tube to fill the left side space





Tour tech Radiator guard,OEM engine guards, & SW-Motech crash guard

Kriega fork guards and tourtech fender extender


Also, OEM adjustable windscreen with Laminar Lip, Barkbusters, and K60 Scouts.

OEM pannier kit for sale on flea market if interested. Or PM me.
briansoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #15035
jmcg
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansoren View Post
Just wanted to show the old girl off! Finally think I have all the additions complete.
Very nice.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 AM   #15036
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So on my last trip I got the dreaded 'won't idle' condition after riding in some very dusty conditions. I managed with it though but as winter is here, I figure time to do some maintenance and I have a few questions...

1. stock air filter looks toast - that said, can I blow it out and re-use it ? I am going to fit my Uni pre-filter this time round.

2. I have what appears to be a breather pipe left over from somewhere It's near the front on the right as you sit on the bike - it's not one of the 2 that go into the tank at the back - is it a crank breather maybe ?

3. I cleaned the stepper motor etc. - where are folks putting the grease - just under the rubber boot or basically all over the shaft etc. ?

Cheers
1. I would do what I've done and fit a DNA or K&N filter because, with the pre-filter you don't need the full filtration of a stock filter. This is mine after 6K behind the pre-filter


The pre-filter does most of the work...


I don't think I'll ever need to get into the airbox ever again.

2. Don't know.

3. Refer to what Rob Dirt wrote.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #15037
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!
 
Mr_Chris's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansoren View Post
Just wanted to show the old girl off! Finally think I have all the additions complete.
Very nice. Now please go out into the hills and smash it into the ground a few times so it looks decent.
__________________
Lusting for: Currently Sated with the new XCx
Current: 2012 Berg FE570, 2010 Street Triple R (wifey), 2015 Tiger 800 XCx -- O YEA!
Sold: 1975 CT90, 2008 XVS650, 2007 Rocket III Classic, 2010 Rocket III Roadster, 2011 800 XC
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #15038
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!
 
Mr_Chris's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So on my last trip I got the dreaded 'won't idle' condition after riding in some very dusty conditions. I managed with it though but as winter is here, I figure time to do some maintenance and I have a few questions...

1. stock air filter looks toast - that said, can I blow it out and re-use it ? I am going to fit my Uni pre-filter this time round.

2. I have what appears to be a breather pipe left over from somewhere It's near the front on the right as you sit on the bike - it's not one of the 2 that go into the tank at the back - is it a crank breather maybe ?

3. I cleaned the stepper motor etc. - where are folks putting the grease - just under the rubber boot or basically all over the shaft etc. ?

Cheers

1. You've taken it all apart. Don't save a few bucks now, do it right. Put on a good / pre-filter not required filter. Sure you can run with less, but a pre-filter is extra, not replacement filtration. It is also exposed and could be torn or pinched over time (as unlikely as it may seem at the moment) and you don't want to find out you've been running dirty air at the point you discover the tear.

2. Sorry I can't help you there.

3. Take the shaft and bushing off and clean them with solvent etc. Then (clean finger) put some decent waterproof grease on the shaft all round, then mount the bushing with a tiny bead of grease over the ends of the bushing. So put a bit on each end, then slide it over, and the grease seals out the dust from getting in. It makes no difference if anything sticks to the grease, the problem is the grit getting INSIDE the bushing. The grease on the shaft lubes it and fills the gap, and the buildup on the ends seal out the dust. Then just have 'em do it once a year or whenever you have some reason to take the air box off IMO.


Last ride I saw 3 tigers (out of 20) pull up with the idle problem during 2 days offroad. They all said, I never thought it would happen to me. If you're down under you got it worse apparently, and if you're like me and can't keep up with the Gods at the front, you'll end up riding in some dust sometimes. Nice fine Aussie dust rawr! I was so happy I had mine all lubed up!

Chris
__________________
Lusting for: Currently Sated with the new XCx
Current: 2012 Berg FE570, 2010 Street Triple R (wifey), 2015 Tiger 800 XCx -- O YEA!
Sold: 1975 CT90, 2008 XVS650, 2007 Rocket III Classic, 2010 Rocket III Roadster, 2011 800 XC
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #15039
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post

3. Take the shaft and bushing off and clean them with solvent etc. Then (clean finger) put some decent waterproof grease on the shaft all round, then mount the bushing with a tiny bead of grease over the ends of the bushing. So put a bit on each end, then slide it over, and the grease seals out the dust from getting in. It makes no difference if anything sticks to the grease, the problem is the grit getting INSIDE the bushing. The grease on the shaft lubes it and fills the gap, and the buildup on the ends seal out the dust. Then just have 'em do it once a year or whenever you have some reason to take the air box off IMO.

I've been doing the roadside WD-40 dance lately. This seems like a fix, and I can't help but wonder why the fudge Triumph hasn't issued a recall on this issue. There are some folks out there that are swearing off Triumph because they aren't mechanically inclined enough to take care of this, or don't do the internet. As of last week, my local dealer still claims to not have ever heard of this problem
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #15040
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansoren View Post
That looks great!
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #15041
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,394
Must say, although I have the Triumph gel seat, I always carry that same Airhawk with me for long trips. Also, fashioned a wooden beaded seat pad from a car type that works great for long jumps.
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #15042
briansoren
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Very nice. Now please go out into the hills and smash it into the ground a few times so it looks decent.
It has been in many hills. I just didn't show everyone the other side.

Thanks jmcg and ducnut!
briansoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #15043
ravlin
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sacto, CA
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Very nice. Now please go out into the hills and smash it into the ground a few times so it looks decent.
n00b checking in, Hi everyone.
Being the newest n00b here, I will go ahead and take the above advice as well, sans compliment as I am still figuring out this whole forum thing (posting anyways, been a creep for a couple years) and you all know what a stock black XC looks like anyway.
Given the 1000+ pages of glory here, I am sure it will be a while before I can find something worth saying... so beware the sarcasm
__________________
Triumph Tiger 800 XC... Pastel Black and bone stock
ravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #15044
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
You should use some all purpose spray lube that does not attract dust as bad as grease. Lube the stepper arm & the throttle roller. The throttle roller is located where the stepper motor arm is going.




I would replace the air filter.
Thanks Rob
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #15045
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
1. I would do what I've done and fit a DNA or K&N filter because, with the pre-filter you don't need the full filtration of a stock filter. This is mine after 6K behind the pre-filter


The pre-filter does most of the work...


I don't think I'll ever need to get into the airbox ever again.

2. Don't know.

3. Refer to what Rob Dirt wrote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
1. You've taken it all apart. Don't save a few bucks now, do it right. Put on a good / pre-filter not required filter. Sure you can run with less, but a pre-filter is extra, not replacement filtration. It is also exposed and could be torn or pinched over time (as unlikely as it may seem at the moment) and you don't want to find out you've been running dirty air at the point you discover the tear.

2. Sorry I can't help you there.

3. Take the shaft and bushing off and clean them with solvent etc. Then (clean finger) put some decent waterproof grease on the shaft all round, then mount the bushing with a tiny bead of grease over the ends of the bushing. So put a bit on each end, then slide it over, and the grease seals out the dust from getting in. It makes no difference if anything sticks to the grease, the problem is the grit getting INSIDE the bushing. The grease on the shaft lubes it and fills the gap, and the buildup on the ends seal out the dust. Then just have 'em do it once a year or whenever you have some reason to take the air box off IMO.


Last ride I saw 3 tigers (out of 20) pull up with the idle problem during 2 days offroad. They all said, I never thought it would happen to me. If you're down under you got it worse apparently, and if you're like me and can't keep up with the Gods at the front, you'll end up riding in some dust sometimes. Nice fine Aussie dust rawr! I was so happy I had mine all lubed up!

Chris
Thanks
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014