Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #15061
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob highsmith View Post
Anybody got anything to say about reliability problems with tiger 800? I am about to buy a new bike and choice is tiger vs GS....kind of leaning Tiger, but have heard some grumbling about reliability issues with the triumph. Any feedback out there from Triumph owners?
thanks...
Another VERY satisfied owner of two Tigers here.
2002, 955Tiger 67000 miles and no issues at all except for things wearing out naturally.
2011, 800XC 17600 miles and no problems at all.
Both just pure reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The only ones grumbling are the BMW dealers.

Yes, it's the BMW dealers that are grumbling.
And the BMW owners.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #15062
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
It was X-Country Rider, from San Diego. Now? Persona no grata.
It's a pity that anyone can get banned. Perhaps he, like me, hates BMW in general when they blame a fault on their bikes on the owners. I got "user error" when drive shafts were wearing out too quickly on R100GSs. It was a known problem amongst owners but BMW wouldn't admit it. Some years later, they changed the material of the UJ grease seals (OE ones broke down in contact with gearbox oil!!) and solved the non existent problem. Bastards.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #15063
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
I think he made unwarranted personal attacks on Beemer owners, questioning their manhood and so forth. It was quite comical but the thread was exploded into oblivion and so was he. He may be here with another handle keeping a slightly lower profile.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #15064
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta1 View Post
I've been commuting all fall, temps down as low as 20F, with no heated gear. Doing so with heated grips has made me think how great heated gear would be, so I've just had delivered a heated jacket liner. Permanent mount controller. Looks all very simple to install - except where to mount the controller.

The obvious and easy location would be just below the seat, left side. Easy drill through plastic, can reach when riding. But, right next to the knob is a LED, which would be best placed in one's line of sight. Sure doesn't seem anywhere obvious up at the front of the bike for a mount. Experiences anyone? Otherwise out of sight it goes.
The LED is not crucial. Really, you wouldn't even need to drill the hole to mount it. You'd just have to remember to turn off your gear, when shutting off the bike. I don't really use my LED for anything other than to confirm I've turned on my gear. But, certainly, you'll feel immediate heat when you do turn on the switch.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #15065
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
I've been commuting all fall, temps down as low as 20F, with no heated gear. Doing so with heated grips has made me think how great heated gear would be, so I've just had delivered a heated jacket liner. Permanent mount controller. Looks all very simple to install - except where to mount the controller.

The obvious and easy location would be just below the seat, left side. Easy drill through plastic, can reach when riding. But, right next to the knob is a LED, which would be best placed in one's line of sight. Sure doesn't seem anywhere obvious up at the front of the bike for a mount. Experiences anyone? Otherwise out of sight it goes.
Right on the dash. Use the wireless controller from Warm n Safe. No wires, no fuss.

The beauty of this is that it moves from bike to bike by using a simple RAM mount.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #15066
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Lol Yes he was ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
I think he came back
You know him very well I believe
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #15067
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
The beauty of this is that it moves from bike to bike by using a simple RAM mount.
Me like!

I don't have any heated gear yet, and if we get some, it'll be the heated liner for my wife first before I'm allowed to buy heated gear for me ...

Was thinking about Warm & Safe, too, as they seem to have a pretty good reputation and seem to be nicely manufactured, while Gerbings has been getting some heat (pun intended) for outsourcing to China and manufacturing them as cheaply as possible, e.g. not having heating elements around the arm, only on top and so on. But I don't want to get this into a heated gear thread, just saying.

I really like the wireless controller, how does this work out for you? I'm thinking of heated glove liners (if it gets extremely cold) and a heated jacket. The Tiger should have enough juice to drive both without an issue I guess. Do you guys also use heated pant liners? For me, freezing always starts around the hands, shoulders, arms, chest area, then feet and way after that I feel the cold in the legs.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #15068
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Oh, and may I also ask how you like the Montana? I still have the GPSMap 60CSx, but the screen is really small and some of the navigation features are really, really sow. How's the Montana? I was always put of by how big and bulky it is ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #15069
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Oh, and may I also ask how you like the Montana? I still have the GPSMap 60CSx, but the screen is really small and some of the navigation features are really, really sow. How's the Montana? I was always put of by how big and bulky it is ...
I've got a 60CSx and the Montana and while the new interface is a bit quirky, the extra screen real estate is great. Hard to go back to the smaller screen. The Montana has a pretty fast processor, so updates, recalc's and such are pretty quick. No major complaints, but I haven't done a lot of complicated routing on it.
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #15070
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 593
I believe Gerbings are made in the USA now.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #15071
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
I believe Gerbings are made in the USA now.
True that. We went through this a few pages back.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #15072
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
I'm thinking of heated glove liners (if it gets extremely cold) and a heated jacket. The Tiger should have enough juice to drive both without an issue I guess. Do you guys also use heated pant liners? For me, freezing always starts around the hands, shoulders, arms, chest area, then feet and way after that I feel the cold in the legs.
She and I, both, have jackets, pants, socks, and gloves. The advantage to a full setup is that you can run the whole thing at a much a lower temp and stay warmer, overall. If you have a dual controller and are by yourself, you can run your upper and lower body at different temp levels. My 1050 will run both our setups, but, have never had both turned all the way up, at the same time. Not sure about the wattage difference between the 1050 and 800.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #15073
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Ducnut,

I believe the Tiger 800's max output is 645w and the 1050 is about 480w.

Someone had estimated the bikes use about 300w just going down the road.

Gerbing Wattage;
Pants=44w
Jacket=77w
Gloves or Liners=27w

Doubling these numbers for two fully heated riders would put the wattage needed at about 300w.

This could push the Tiger 1050 charging system beyond it's capacity.

Maybe somebody could check my numbers.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #15074
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:

Fit the accessory power socket under the saddle. Stick a DIN plug on your jacket wiring and stick the controller to the outside of the battery box with Velcro. You'll remember to turn everything off when you get snagged by the wiring when you try to walk away from the bike.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #15075
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Me like!

I don't have any heated gear yet, and if we get some, it'll be the heated liner for my wife first before I'm allowed to buy heated gear for me ...

Was thinking about Warm & Safe, too, as they seem to have a pretty good reputation and seem to be nicely manufactured, while Gerbings has been getting some heat (pun intended) for outsourcing to China and manufacturing them as cheaply as possible, e.g. not having heating elements around the arm, only on top and so on. But I don't want to get this into a heated gear thread, just saying.

I really like the wireless controller, how does this work out for you? I'm thinking of heated glove liners (if it gets extremely cold) and a heated jacket. The Tiger should have enough juice to drive both without an issue I guess. Do you guys also use heated pant liners? For me, freezing always starts around the hands, shoulders, arms, chest area, then feet and way after that I feel the cold in the legs.
I've run a full complement of gear (gloves+jacket+pants+socks) off the Tiger and have had no issues. It's probably about 240W worth of draw, but I can't say it's ever run at 100%, as that just gets too hot!

The dual channel is nice; I typically run gloves+jacket on channel 1 and pants+socks on channel 2. If I am running just gloves and jacket for the day, each go on their separate channel.

As for the Montana, I also have a 60cx. No comparison. The Montana is MUCH easier to read, and the only thing I miss about the 60cx is the dedicated "mark waypoint" button.