Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #15091
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansoren View Post
Just wanted to show the old girl off! Finally think I have all the additions complete.
Very nice. Now please go out into the hills and smash it into the ground a few times so it looks decent.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #15092
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So on my last trip I got the dreaded 'won't idle' condition after riding in some very dusty conditions. I managed with it though but as winter is here, I figure time to do some maintenance and I have a few questions...

1. stock air filter looks toast - that said, can I blow it out and re-use it ? I am going to fit my Uni pre-filter this time round.

2. I have what appears to be a breather pipe left over from somewhere It's near the front on the right as you sit on the bike - it's not one of the 2 that go into the tank at the back - is it a crank breather maybe ?

3. I cleaned the stepper motor etc. - where are folks putting the grease - just under the rubber boot or basically all over the shaft etc. ?

Cheers

1. You've taken it all apart. Don't save a few bucks now, do it right. Put on a good / pre-filter not required filter. Sure you can run with less, but a pre-filter is extra, not replacement filtration. It is also exposed and could be torn or pinched over time (as unlikely as it may seem at the moment) and you don't want to find out you've been running dirty air at the point you discover the tear.

2. Sorry I can't help you there.

3. Take the shaft and bushing off and clean them with solvent etc. Then (clean finger) put some decent waterproof grease on the shaft all round, then mount the bushing with a tiny bead of grease over the ends of the bushing. So put a bit on each end, then slide it over, and the grease seals out the dust from getting in. It makes no difference if anything sticks to the grease, the problem is the grit getting INSIDE the bushing. The grease on the shaft lubes it and fills the gap, and the buildup on the ends seal out the dust. Then just have 'em do it once a year or whenever you have some reason to take the air box off IMO.

Last ride I saw 3 tigers (out of 20) pull up with the idle problem during 2 days offroad. They all said, I never thought it would happen to me. If you're down under you got it worse apparently, and if you're like me and can't keep up with the Gods at the front, you'll end up riding in some dust sometimes. Nice fine Aussie dust rawr! I was so happy I had mine all lubed up!

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #15093
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post

3. Take the shaft and bushing off and clean them with solvent etc. Then (clean finger) put some decent waterproof grease on the shaft all round, then mount the bushing with a tiny bead of grease over the ends of the bushing. So put a bit on each end, then slide it over, and the grease seals out the dust from getting in. It makes no difference if anything sticks to the grease, the problem is the grit getting INSIDE the bushing. The grease on the shaft lubes it and fills the gap, and the buildup on the ends seal out the dust. Then just have 'em do it once a year or whenever you have some reason to take the air box off IMO.

I've been doing the roadside WD-40 dance lately. This seems like a fix, and I can't help but wonder why the fudge Triumph hasn't issued a recall on this issue. There are some folks out there that are swearing off Triumph because they aren't mechanically inclined enough to take care of this, or don't do the internet. As of last week, my local dealer still claims to not have ever heard of this problem
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #15094
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
That looks great!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #15095
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Must say, although I have the Triumph gel seat, I always carry that same Airhawk with me for long trips. Also, fashioned a wooden beaded seat pad from a car type that works great for long jumps.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #15096
briansoren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Very nice. Now please go out into the hills and smash it into the ground a few times so it looks decent.
It has been in many hills. I just didn't show everyone the other side.

Thanks jmcg and ducnut!
briansoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #15097
ravlin
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
n00b checking in, Hi everyone.
Being the newest n00b here, I will go ahead and take the above advice as well, sans compliment as I am still figuring out this whole forum thing (posting anyways, been a creep for a couple years) and you all know what a stock black XC looks like anyway.
Given the 1000+ pages of glory here, I am sure it will be a while before I can find something worth saying... so beware the sarcasm
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #15098
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
You should use some all purpose spray lube that does not attract dust as bad as grease. Lube the stepper arm & the throttle roller. The throttle roller is located where the stepper motor arm is going.

I would replace the air filter.
Thanks Rob
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #15099
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
1. I would do what I've done and fit a DNA or K&N filter because, with the pre-filter you don't need the full filtration of a stock filter. This is mine after 6K behind the pre-filter

The pre-filter does most of the work...

I don't think I'll ever need to get into the airbox ever again.

2. Don't know.

3. Refer to what Rob Dirt wrote.
Quote:
1. You've taken it all apart. Don't save a few bucks now, do it right. Put on a good / pre-filter not required filter. Sure you can run with less, but a pre-filter is extra, not replacement filtration. It is also exposed and could be torn or pinched over time (as unlikely as it may seem at the moment) and you don't want to find out you've been running dirty air at the point you discover the tear.

2. Sorry I can't help you there.

Last ride I saw 3 tigers (out of 20) pull up with the idle problem during 2 days offroad. They all said, I never thought it would happen to me. If you're down under you got it worse apparently, and if you're like me and can't keep up with the Gods at the front, you'll end up riding in some dust sometimes. Nice fine Aussie dust rawr! I was so happy I had mine all lubed up!

Chris
Thanks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #15100
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

This is the hose that I mentioned in my previous posts:

And my air filter (approx 10K miles):

I have to say, I did like the fact that Triumph put in semi-captive screws etc. where there is a possibility that said screw might fall in the throttle bodies. Nice touch.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #15101
briansoren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
This is the hose that I mentioned in my previous posts:

And my air filter (approx 10K miles):

I have to say, I did like the fact that Triumph put in semi-captive screws etc. where there is a possibility that said screw might fall in the throttle bodies. Nice touch.
Is that with or without a pre-filter?
briansoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #15102
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Is that with or without a pre-filter?
Without - I have a pre-filter that I plan on fitting once I get a new air filter. BTW, the other side of the filter was spotless so it was clearly doing it's job.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #15103
OneWheelDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Onewheeldrive.net is testing the Tiger800XC right now and i'm following their posts on facebook.
Hey thanks for the post, we've finished the video review of the bike:

Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #15104
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelDrive View Post
Hey thanks for the post, we've finished the video review of the bike:
Hmmm...the back and forth was just a little distracting. "Motorcycle journalist" is a real job?

"Irregardless" is not a real word.

Glad you mentioned the Explorer being updated to more XC function. Still, it's a hundred pounds more than the 800 which is already too heavy for real offroad going. Funny, the terrain is always pretty darn flat. Try 3' sand whoops, or a field of baby-head boulders.

Anyhoo, I do like mine, wouldn't trade it for anything else....yet.

Nice scenery, great place to ride, eh? No, I didn't hear enough 'eh's' and there was no 'aboot'.
I think I'll ride mine up there next summer. Back to my birthplace.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #15105
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,442
Quote:
Without - I have a pre-filter that I plan on fitting once I get a new air filter. BTW, the other side of the filter was spotless so it was clearly doing it's job.
I should emphasize that my photo, quoted by you above, shows the dirty side of the DNA filter. So, as I wrote, the pre-filter does most of the filtering.
It makes me wonder if we need to fit a filter inside the airbox at all when we're using the pre-filter.

Oh, and, I found an easy way to remove the pre-filter from the airbox. The rubber is flexible enough that you can just insert a flat blade screw driver in the middle at the top, and push it right through, and it'll lever out nicely.

blacktiger screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 05:43 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote