ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #15196
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Are the OEM heated grips any good? I got my bike with the heated grips installed and now I regret wasting money on it. It is useless for all practical reasons, at 50-60F I feel some warmth but not enough to be comfortable. In the 40's they are practically useless. Can't believe Triumph charges so much for a piece of S**t. Did I get a lemon, or is the the heated grip really that bad?

Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to uninstall it?
You do realise that there are TWO settings???????

The other thing is that you should get rid of those stock hand guards and get something decent with more coverage.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #15197
TekurRides
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 67
Blacktiger and Bross, point taken. I have plans to get heated gear and better guards. But what I wanted to find out is how hot do the heated grips get? I have never had them, so this is my first experience. If this is how hot it gets, triumph offered to take it back, so I might as well return them and then use the money to get something else. But if they are lemons, I want to get them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I am aware of the fact that this might still not be enough to keep we comfortably warm but at the same time I don't want to be paying $250 + $100(labor) for a lemon.
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #15198
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Blacktiger and Bross, point taken. I have plans to get heated gear and better guards. But what I wanted to find out is how hot do the heated grips get? I have never had them, so this is my first experience. If this is how hot it gets, triumph offered to take it back, so I might as well return them and then use the money to get something else. But if they are lemons, I want to get them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I am aware of the fact that this might still not be enough to keep we comfortably warm but at the same time I don't want to be paying $250 + $100(labor) for a lemon.
Yowzer, 350 bucks for heated grips

It does sound like you have faulty grips - on high you should NOT be able to hold them with a naked hand for long.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #15199
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Blacktiger and Bross, point taken. I have plans to get heated gear and better guards. But what I wanted to find out is how hot do the heated grips get? I have never had them, so this is my first experience. If this is how hot it gets, triumph offered to take it back, so I might as well return them and then use the money to get something else. But if they are lemons, I want to get them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I am aware of the fact that this might still not be enough to keep we comfortably warm but at the same time I don't want to be paying $250 + $100(labor) for a lemon.
I'd investigate having your OEM grips replaced with another set of them. There has to be something wrong with them. I have the Triumph heated grips on my 1050. They're hot enough to be uncomfortable, on low setting, and bare hands. On high, I can't even hold onto them, with bare hands. I only ever continuously run them on low, with gloves on.

I'd look into some kind of handguard extensions. Palmer Products make the ones I have on my 1050. They're nothing more than a flexible, plastic material. I'd think you could fabricate something to work on the 800's handguards, too. As a last resort, you could put 1050 guards on your 800 and add the PP extensions.

I, too, have heated gear. There's definitely nothing like heated gloves, as they keep the backsides of your hands warm, as well. I only use the heated grips when my hands get chilled. Otherwise, for cold weather riding, I automatically grab my heated gloves. I think once you try heated gear, you'll never ride any other way.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #15200
motonut
Old Guy
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Deep Woods
Oddometer: 62
Your heated grips need a warranty fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
I think they are lemons based on what you said. I can grab mine easily when they are set on high with bare hands. And even then they are like warm, not hot. Can the others also confirm that their heated grips are so hot that it is uncomfortable to hold them with bare hand?
I installed the OEM accessory heated grips kit and am more than pleased with them.
Even at 60mph in the upper thirties to low forties I cannot leave them on high. I do have the OEM handguards which are good, in my opinion, not great. I find them too-hot-on-high whether I am wearing winter gloves of just elkskin gloves. We are all assuming that you have ridden a long enough distance with them on high to get them warmed up... that is to say, in the cold, you should start to feel some heat in five to ten minutes and (with handguards) after a quarter to half hour usually find them too warm to stay on high. The variables are wind protection, glove choice, ambient temperature and speed. With my Triumph set, the first hit turns the red light "on" and that is your "high" temperature choice. Another tap and the green light yields "low."

In my history with BMW sickles furnished with heated grips I would say all were equal with one another and with the Tiger 800 units.

That's all I know...
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #15201
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ducken's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Oddometer: 107
OEM Heated Grips

Likewise, with the Triumph heated grips, I only use high to speed the initial warm up, them switch to low. Eventually my thumbs get nippy when temps are in the upper 30's. No fault of the heated grips, the tips of my thumbs don't touch the grips. Initial cost is high, but I'm hoping that OEM quality will mean long life. I'm very happy with the Triumph heated grips and recommend them. Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #15202
OmenF1
wannabe explorer
 
OmenF1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 69
heated grips

I have the heated grips otion and they warm up very good.

BUT : I have the feeling my throttle handle is harder to turn when the heat in on..... Somebody also experience this ;.?

br

Omen
OmenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #15203
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ducken's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmenF1 View Post
I have the heated grips otion and they warm up very good.

BUT : I have the feeling my throttle handle is harder to turn when the heat in on..... Somebody also experience this ;.?

br

Omen

I have custom bar ends in place, with a Cat O-ring cruise / throttle lock for an interference fit between the grip and the bar end. I cut the fit a little too tight, and when the grip got hot enough it began to drag on the bar end / throttle lock assembly. Had to loosen the throttle housing and slide it slightly medial, or to the left. Problem solved. Didn't take much movement, maybe 0.015 to 0.020 inches. Try that. Or see if you have longitudinal play in the throttle sleeve, that goes away when the grip is hot. Should still have some play even when hot. (The throttle grip grows slightly in length when heated, if that wasn't clearly stated.) Ken

Ducken screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 01:51 AM Reason: Second shot at clarity
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #15204
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Blacktiger and Bross, point taken. I have plans to get heated gear and better guards. But what I wanted to find out is how hot do the heated grips get? I have never had them, so this is my first experience. If this is how hot it gets, triumph offered to take it back, so I might as well return them and then use the money to get something else. But if they are lemons, I want to get them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I am aware of the fact that this might still not be enough to keep we comfortably warm but at the same time I don't want to be paying $250 + $100(labor) for a lemon.
I understand and sorry if you were aware but it's amazing how many people don't know how things work and then complain.
Anyway, I've had the Triumph grips on my Tig955 for 10 years and they're still OK. Just OK heat wise you understand. I discovered that Oxford Hotgrips http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3...t&id=137&pid=0 get much hotter. Have never needed them on 100%. Don't know if you can get them in the US but they're 1/4 the price of the Triumph ones. I have them on my XC and have plugged them into the connector for the Triumph grips under the tank. Superb. Although I did notice on their site there that they've changed the controller design. Mine has an On/Off button the new ones don't so I don't know how you're supposed to turn them on & off now.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #15205
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Lagunatic Beach
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducken View Post
I have custom bar ends in place, with a Cat O-ring cruise / throttle lock for an interference fit between the grip and the bar end. I cut the fit a little too tight, and when the grip got hot enough it began to drag on the bar end / throttle lock assembly. Had to loosen the throttle housing and slide it slightly medial, or to the left. Problem solved. Didn't take much movement, maybe 0.015 to 0.020 inches. Try that. Or see if you have longitudinal play in the throttle sleeve, that goes away when the grip is hot. Should still have some play even when hot. (The throttle grip grows slightly in length when heated, if that wasn't clearly stated.) Ken
I wonder if the cat o-ring work with the stock bar ends. I use them on my ST1300, but they went between the grip and the perch
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #15206
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I understand and sorry if you were aware but it's amazing how many people don't know how things work and then complain.
Anyway, I've had the Triumph grips on my Tig955 for 10 years and they're still OK. Just OK heat wise you understand. I discovered that Oxford Hotgrips http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3...t&id=137&pid=0 get much hotter. Have never needed them on 100%. Don't know if you can get them in the US but they're 1/4 the price of the Triumph ones. I have them on my XC and have plugged them into the connector for the Triumph grips under the tank. Superb. Although I did notice on their site there that they've changed the controller design. Mine has an On/Off button the new ones don't so I don't know how you're supposed to turn them on & off now.
Found this, on their site.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #15207
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs
 
Dirtysouth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30120
Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Yowzer, 350 bucks for heated grips

Yeah that's a little extreme, but I suspect most of the guys had them financed in with the bike. Having owned heated grips on most of my bikes, I'd rather spend my cash on heated gloves, which IMHO are way better for cold weather riding.
__________________
"...When your time comes to die, do not be like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
So that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #15208
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mint julep's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
Yeah that's a little extreme, but I suspect most of the guys had them financed in with the bike. Having owned heated grips on most of my bikes, I'd rather spend my cash on heated gloves, which IMHO are way better for cold weather riding.
Although I have the Oxford grips and they get hot, I'm looking at getting some heated liner or gloves cause its still damn cold up here in Canada.

Or, there is also them hippohands thingy that should cover the elements and keep you dry and warm.
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #15209
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
Yeah that's a little extreme, but I suspect most of the guys had them financed in with the bike. Having owned heated grips on most of my bikes, I'd rather spend my cash on heated gloves, which IMHO are way better for cold weather riding.
Yeah but do you carry your heated gloves with you on *every* ride? I use my heated grips most in the spring and fall when the weather turns or you get caught in the rain without your rain gear. Even though you only have summer gloves on, the heated grips turn a miserable ride into one that's tolerable or even still enjoyable.

I have both heated grips and gloves and I use my heated grips way more than the gloves. Both are good to have.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #15210
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs
 
Dirtysouth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30120
Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Yeah but do you carry your heated gloves with you on *every* ride? I use my heated grips most in the spring and fall when the weather turns or you get caught in the rain without your rain gear. Even though you only have summer gloves on, the heated grips turn a miserable ride into one that's tolerable or even still enjoyable.

I have both heated grips and gloves and I use my heated grips way more than the gloves. Both are good to have.


Yes I can easily carry more than one pair of gloves with me. I understand where you are coming from though and agree that heated grips have their place. For me, they are great for cool mornings, or even when you get up in Elevation on warmer days, where the temps are always cooler. I was saying or meant to say, that for "cold weather" riding, heated grips don't come close to providing the comfort that gloves do. For $300-$350, you can get a pair of oxford heated grips and Gerbing heated gloves, that way you have options.
__________________
"...When your time comes to die, do not be like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
So that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh

Dirtysouth screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 05:21 AM
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014