Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #15241
arkline
Glorified AV Boy

Oddometer: 197
At what speeds do you ride with the heated grips? Above 50 mph or so nobody's heated grips make much difference, unless you have hand guards that move the breeze over and under your hands on the bars. If your hands are really cold, I'd recommend heated glove liners and a heated jacket liner. Keep your core warm and the peripherals will stay warmer...especially with heated glove liners.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
arkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #15242
rkclm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Are the OEM heated grips any good? I got my bike with the heated grips installed and now I regret wasting money on it. It is useless for all practical reasons, at 50-60F I feel some warmth but not enough to be comfortable. In the 40's they are practically useless. Can't believe Triumph charges so much for a piece of S**t. Did I get a lemon, or is the the heated grip really that bad?

Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to uninstall it?
I got the same installed when I bought the bike. I was ridding last week when it was 35 degrees. Hands were warm No problems--I also have good gloves.
rkclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #15243
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Are the OEM heated grips any good? I got my bike with the heated grips installed and now I regret wasting money on it. It is useless for all practical reasons, at 50-60F I feel some warmth but not enough to be comfortable. In the 40's they are practically useless. Can't believe Triumph charges so much for a piece of S**t. Did I get a lemon, or is the the heated grip really that bad?

Maybe a lemon. If they came installed on the bike, they will carry the same warranty as the bike. Get back to your dealer and insist on a set that get hot. Mine on high are plenty hot with leather gloves and I cannot even grab them without gloves on. Also remember, part of what you are paying for is the nice integration with the bike; no power wires off the battery or other places, fuse in the factory fuse block, nice places for the wires to run, harness connector and relay, etc. You can spend $35 for some Dual-Star grips or others and you will do a lot more work for not so nice a product.

There are many accessories from manufacturers that are not worth the money and some that are. Those decisions are left up to the individual purchaser and what is important to them. I don't like extra wires and haphazard switches, so the money for the Triumph grips and lights with their seamless integration was worth it. Other accessories, not so much, but like I said, personal preference prevails.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #15244
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,366
My factory ones work fine as well, as good as the dual stars I have installed on several other bikes. I'll second the opinion on additional protection, better gloves etc. I used to commute to work in -12C (10F) and heated grips do not even get warm. I had Gerbings heated gloves for those really cold commutes and they kept my hands toasty.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #15245
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
If your grips are only barely warm then there is a problem. Mine get proper hot within 10 mins, so much so I have to set it to the low setting.

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #15246
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:

Most likely your gloves are the problem. Ironically most winter gloves suck for use with heated gloves.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #15247
White Trash Woody
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Need a upgrade for tiger odometer!

I recently purchase a 2012 triumph Tiger 800! I have owned several motorcycles over the years and This 800 Tiger has to be my favorite! The only thing wrong with it is you cant view the odometer while going down the road. I called my dealer in Memphis, Tn. and he confirmed it was not just me and my lack of computer skills or user error, but in fact thats the way it was designed. I would be willing to pay for and upgraded odometer or a fix/repair for this. Does any one know of a solution? Besides just live with it. :(
White Trash Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #15248
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I think they are lemons based on what you said. I can grab mine easily when they are set on high with bare hands. And even then they are like warm, not hot. Can the others also confirm that their heated grips are so hot that it is uncomfortable to hold them with bare hand?

Also, I do use winter gloves, anything else would not keep the top of my hands warm, right? And I ride between 65-80mph. I have the stock handle guard, which probably covers between 50-75% of my hand.

The situation is so bad that my hands are numb by the time I reach home from work, a 40 min commute. I am planning to get gerbrings, but I would have thought that the OEM heated grips would at least keep me from getting numb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Mine on high are plenty hot with leather gloves and I cannot even grab them without gloves on.
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #15249
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,366
At those speeds and temperatures for that duration, there's no way heated grips will keep your hands warm. Even if they were burning hot, the backs of your hands would still freeze and you'd end up with frozen digits. Wind chill is a huge factor riding. The best thing you can do to keep your hands from freezing is to protect them from the wind. A pair of hippo hands aren't sexy but you'll at least be able to use your fingers when you get home. Or as I mentioned, I used to use a combination of heated grips(basically to just take the chill off the hand grips) and a pair of Gerbings heated gloves. The heated gloves heat the back of your hand so help keep them warm against the wind.

I bought the heated gloves after I arrived at work with a pair of stumps, I had to pull the clutch in with my wrist as my hands were completely frozen and useless. Dangerous and bloody painful.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #15250
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:

You do realise that there are TWO settings???????

The other thing is that you should get rid of those stock hand guards and get something decent with more coverage.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #15251
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Blacktiger and Bross, point taken. I have plans to get heated gear and better guards. But what I wanted to find out is how hot do the heated grips get? I have never had them, so this is my first experience. If this is how hot it gets, triumph offered to take it back, so I might as well return them and then use the money to get something else. But if they are lemons, I want to get them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I am aware of the fact that this might still not be enough to keep we comfortably warm but at the same time I don't want to be paying $250 + $100(labor) for a lemon.
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #15252
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:
Blacktiger and Bross, point taken. I have plans to get heated gear and better guards. But what I wanted to find out is how hot do the heated grips get? I have never had them, so this is my first experience. If this is how hot it gets, triumph offered to take it back, so I might as well return them and then use the money to get something else. But if they are lemons, I want to get them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I am aware of the fact that this might still not be enough to keep we comfortably warm but at the same time I don't want to be paying $250 + $100(labor) for a lemon.
Yowzer, 350 bucks for heated grips

It does sound like you have faulty grips - on high you should NOT be able to hold them with a naked hand for long.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #15253
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:
I'd investigate having your OEM grips replaced with another set of them. There has to be something wrong with them. I have the Triumph heated grips on my 1050. They're hot enough to be uncomfortable, on low setting, and bare hands. On high, I can't even hold onto them, with bare hands. I only ever continuously run them on low, with gloves on.

I'd look into some kind of handguard extensions. Palmer Products make the ones I have on my 1050. They're nothing more than a flexible, plastic material. I'd think you could fabricate something to work on the 800's handguards, too. As a last resort, you could put 1050 guards on your 800 and add the PP extensions.

I, too, have heated gear. There's definitely nothing like heated gloves, as they keep the backsides of your hands warm, as well. I only use the heated grips when my hands get chilled. Otherwise, for cold weather riding, I automatically grab my heated gloves. I think once you try heated gear, you'll never ride any other way.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #15254
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
Your heated grips need a warranty fix.

Quote:
I think they are lemons based on what you said. I can grab mine easily when they are set on high with bare hands. And even then they are like warm, not hot. Can the others also confirm that their heated grips are so hot that it is uncomfortable to hold them with bare hand?
I installed the OEM accessory heated grips kit and am more than pleased with them.
Even at 60mph in the upper thirties to low forties I cannot leave them on high. I do have the OEM handguards which are good, in my opinion, not great. I find them too-hot-on-high whether I am wearing winter gloves of just elkskin gloves. We are all assuming that you have ridden a long enough distance with them on high to get them warmed up... that is to say, in the cold, you should start to feel some heat in five to ten minutes and (with handguards) after a quarter to half hour usually find them too warm to stay on high. The variables are wind protection, glove choice, ambient temperature and speed. With my Triumph set, the first hit turns the red light "on" and that is your "high" temperature choice. Another tap and the green light yields "low."

In my history with BMW sickles furnished with heated grips I would say all were equal with one another and with the Tiger 800 units.

That's all I know...
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #15255
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
OEM Heated Grips

Likewise, with the Triumph heated grips, I only use high to speed the initial warm up, them switch to low. Eventually my thumbs get nippy when temps are in the upper 30's. No fault of the heated grips, the tips of my thumbs don't touch the grips. Initial cost is high, but I'm hoping that OEM quality will mean long life. I'm very happy with the Triumph heated grips and recommend them. Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote