Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #1516
LngRidr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind
IMHO, picking up any 500lb bike 2-3-4-5 times a day will take the fight right out of most of us..

Isn't the 21"f / 17"r wheel combo kind of strange?
HEY! The KLR uses the 21/17 tire combo. Who you calling strange....
IBA# 24562
LngRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #1517
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
This is well-put.
I would only add that at least the old Tiger had the rake angle that allowed it to step over SOME of the obstacles one runs into in the roughs. What the new one is shouting is that Triumph spent their effort on window dressing - probably trying to cosmetize some of the complaints about the Tiger 1050 being a pure road bike. BMW F8 remains unchallenged IMHO, with the one exception of the twin Katoom.
The new Tiger is just a road bike in drag. It will be skewered and grilled in any mixed-surface ride reviews against the good bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Ahem, having owned (and still own) a 2007 RXV550 for 8000 miles and well over 200hrs, the rebuild every 40hrs is old rumors that refuse to die and BS. Also the RXV has a very sturdy frame/subframe that runs steel tubes all the way to the tailight, capable of carrying luggage and I have done that with it. Mine has looped and crashed and cartwheeled more times than I remember and except for scuffed plastics, still fine, well OK blinkers break off. I also weighed it recently, wet, full 20liter tank, 304 lbs. SXV is a Supermoto bike.

Having said that, the Aprilia is no Adventure touring bike like the old Tigers or my current KTM990S (199.0 kg/438.7 pounds dry). As for what one poster a bit ago wondered where I was coming from whining about the weight.. I'm coming from having owned 3 Tigers over 10 years, and all that time wishing it was 100 lbs lighter so I could enjoy the dirt and gravel roads more. I know for a fact there were many on the original Tiger list who felt that way, and probably still do. I had lots of fun on the old Tigers, but the weight was always an issue for where I like to ride. To see the 675 pork out into an 800 that is possibly 40lbs lighter than my original '95 Tiger is far short of the mark. Maybe I'm just dreaming and will keep dreaming of a light triple.

I already have a heavy Adventure bike that is extremely capable onroad and offroad, so I guess I'll stick with that and read what the reviewers have to say about the real weight, performance, serviceability of the XC.

Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #1518
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
Now, can someone tell me, what makes this bike better than a V/wee strom? Please don't tell me it's better off road.
Come one now... what multi-cylinder adventure bike would not be better than a V/W strom? By the default, the Tiger 800 is already better.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #1519
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
This is well-put.
I would only add that at least the old Tiger had the rake angle that allowed it to step over SOME of the obstacles one runs into in the roughs. What the new one is shouting is that Triumph spent their effort on window dressing - probably trying to cosmetize some of the complaints about the Tiger 1050 being a pure road bike. BMW F8 remains unchallenged IMHO, with the one exception of the twin Katoom.
The new Tiger is just a road bike in drag. It will be skewered and grilled in any mixed-surface ride reviews against the good bikes
I agree. That's my guess as well. If I buy the Tiger (in either form) it will be to take it on more road oriented "adventures" (paved or gravel roads). And I will only buy it if it passes the long distance paved road test. For the dirt I will keep my other bikes.
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #1520
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
This is well-put.

Why someone doesn't put you in charge of a motorcycle company is beyond me.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #1521
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by LngRidr
HEY! The KLR uses the 21/17 tire combo. Who you calling strange....
zigactly, it's been happenin' for years - my '91 super tenere has a 21/17 combo...
Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #1522
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange
zigactly, it's been happenin' for years - my '91 super tenere has a 21/17 combo...
My Dakar has the 21/17 as well. So does the F800GS.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #1523
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
Now, can someone tell me, what makes this bike better than a V/wee strom?
That's a good question.

What makes a KTM 950 Super Enduro better offroad than an F800GS (besides suspension -- we have to remove that variable for now because none of us have any idea of the XC's suspension quality)? Most of their specs are very similar, but I've never heard anyone say that the BMW is the KTM's equal in the dirt, even with upgraded suspension. So what makes the difference? Mass centralization? Some other aspect of the bike's geometry? What?

I don't think we can judge the XC's offroad prowess by reading a spec sheet. Triumph have proven that they build good bikes that handle well. They're not stupid; if they've designed the XC with offroad capability in mind as they say they have, I tend to believe they've probably made it work pretty well. Test rides will tell us a lot more than specs.

Will it be as good as a Wee-Strom? It shouldn't be too hard to match that milestone. Will it be as good as an F800GS? Remains to be seen. Will it be as good as a 950 Super Enduro? Well... probably not. I may still decide to buy a used 950SE if the XC turns out to get shitty gas mileage and handle poorly off pavement. But I'll be making my decision based on what actual riders have to say about their experiences riding the bike (and my own test ride, of course), not what the numbers on the spec sheet happen to say.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #1524
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

not wanting to upset the "experts", but looking into this whole rake issue, the xc's rake and trail is 23.1deg/91mm, and the f800 is (apparently) 26.0deg/115mm.... so there is a difference of 2.9deg/24mm.... those lucky enough to be able to use a protractor and metric ruler should have a look and see how small a difference that actually is... is it really going to mean that the log/rock/rut the f800 rides over with ease will cause the xc to hit like a brick wall, stopping instantly and sending it's poor rider flying over the handlebars??

discuss....
Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #1525
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange
discuss....

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #1526
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
but I've never heard anyone say that the BMW is the KTM's equal in the dirt, even with upgraded suspension.--mark
Your not listening then.
I own both, or have. Without question, the F8 feels lighter and more compact then my 950. I take both bikes in the shit and the F8 will go further into it. The 950 feels much bigger to handle. Not that it isnt great, it is, but the F800 is more compact and easier to manuever.
Now a Super Enduro, thats a different story.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #1527
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Come one now... what multi-cylinder adventure bike would not be better than a V/W strom? By the default, the Tiger 800 is already better.
that depends on how you are going to use it. My use is primarily commuting on paved roads, although some stretches I like are strewn with potholes. I want to take a road trip at least once a year. I'm the road captain for my Faith Riders chapter (mostly Harleys) so I do parade duty occasionally. When I can, I sneak off and do a little apex strafing. And occasionally I ride a bit of gravel road. For me, the V-Strom is pretty hard to beat. I still want to reserve judgement of all the new bikes until I have seen them in the metal, but so far it looks like the V-Strom will continue to occupy my garage for the foreseeable future. For my purposes, it's hard to see any bike of any genre (available in the US) that would be better than a V-Strom.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #1528
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
hmmmm..... photographic self portrait???
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #1529
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Your not listening then.
I own both, or have. Without question, the F8 feels lighter and more compact then my 950. I take both bikes in the shit and the F8 will go further into it. The 950 feels much bigger to handle. Not that it isnt great, it is, but the F800 is more compact and easier to manuever.
Now a Super Enduro, thats a different story.
The Super Enduro is what I was talking about -- "What makes a KTM 950 Super Enduro better offroad than an F800GS...?"

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #1530
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Na, that was a joke. Saturday Night Live skit. She would always say "discuss amongst yourselves"

Nothing against you my friend, just a joke. I guess you had to see it.