Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #1546
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Street Triple R MSRP UK = 7,199.00
Street Triple R MSRP USA = $9,599

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #1547
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 638
Okay well now after reading all the last posts (ahem last post?....) it's clear that the 800 is crap. I will therefore not order one, who wants to ride such a second grade bike.....so what do you all feel about the Dorso 1200
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #1548
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
This is well-put.
I would only add that at least the old Tiger had the rake angle that allowed it to step over SOME of the obstacles one runs into in the roughs. What the new one is shouting is that Triumph spent their effort on window dressing - probably trying to cosmetize some of the complaints about the Tiger 1050 being a pure road bike. BMW F8 remains unchallenged IMHO, with the one exception of the twin Katoom.
The new Tiger is just a road bike in drag. It will be skewered and grilled in any mixed-surface ride reviews against the good bikes
I thought you'd decided on an XT1200Z?

Hows that working out for ya?
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #1549
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
Maybe the good folks at BMW and Triumph, who spend millions of $$$ on R&D, actually know WTF they're doing and selected a target weight because it's what they discovered, through testing, to be the *right weight* for the intended use of the bike, both in terms of structural integrity and proper load balance.

-NoVector
Hasn't anyone informed you that the mfg's don't know anything? The real experts are here posting on ADV!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #1550
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
With all this talk about weight, I thought I'd throw this out there just for fun: As most of you know, certain motorcycles have a "designed in" weight. For example, a Harley Davidson touring bike *could* weigh less, and the MoCo certainly has the design chops to do so, but they don't because they actually WANT the weight to be where it is because of ride characteristics, user input (and expectations), etc. Could the same be true of these "middle-weight" adventure touring bikes?

Now, before you burn me at the stake, hear me out. I know many folks take 300'ish lb. dirt bikes and chuck tons of crappola on them and travel to far away places. They handle like shit (been there, did that). They wallow in the gnarly stuff, struggle in the rocky stuff, and are generally a handful to ride (and most break *something*...sub-frames, swing-arms, etc.). Why? Because they weren't *designed* for that. Take a nice, light, powerful off-road bike and pile 300+ lbs of rider, fuel, and "necessities" way up high, and you get a mess.

Maybe the good folks at BMW and Triumph, who spend millions of $$$ on R&D, actually know WTF they're doing and selected a target weight because it's what they discovered, through testing, to be the *right weight* for the intended use of the bike, both in terms of structural integrity and proper load balance.

As for me, I'll ride the new Tiger once it hits our shores, wait for the "early adopters" to report on any build issues (leaking this, failing that, blah blah blah) and then decide based on MY intended use.

Ride Safe.

-NoVector
Interesting point as weight has its advantages and disadvantages in some areas. I might even venture to say if you are more road biased(and most of us are % wise) that there are more advantages to to weight than disadvantages.
Smoother ride
Don't get blown around as much on road
Better in gravel IMO --would vary between bikes

Only when it comes to pickup the bike or slow going man handling of the bike do i really feel my bike is heavy.

My last bike was 100 lbs heavier than my current bike and it was WAY better on gravel!

Just depends on what your doing with it.

You don't see that many posts of the KTM 990 being talked about as being a super heavy pig and its roughly 500lbs wet.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #1551
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Extra reasoning for that choice is that I recently took my Scrambler into the great unknown in Spain a couple of weeks ago and it coped even with it's 205kgs dry weight and totally NO ground clearance....but because it was so low it was easy to foot through the awkward stuff.
I agree with that. Ground clearance is nice, but a bike that is manageable through rough spots is usually more important. My dirt bikes were always relatively low ground clearance and it was never an issue. Because they also had short suspension and I'd just bottom it.

It also seems to me that the sharper rake could have to with, uh, a somewhat higher Cg it needs to push over?
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #1552
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotson
TIGER 800
Price approx 7,000.00 GBP = 11,252.19 USD
ABS version +600.00 GBP = 964.255 USD
Are we also paying England's VAT?
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #1553
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
I totally agree with all you've written except that just about every BMW ride report I've read on a RTW trip has had to have its sub frame welded after a breakage. Hopefully Triumph will have done their sums and stress analysis better.
You bring up a REALLY good point. I was just looking at the "Payload" spec on the F800GS and it's over 500lbs!!!! Really!?!? So in theory this bike has been designed to be "Unstoppable" (i.e. go anywhere) with a 200lb rider and 300 LBS OF GEAR?? I smell .

I can see it now:

Marketing: It weighs how much?!?! You have to shave at least 50lbs off of that or we'll never sell any!!!!

Engineering: The only way to shave that much weight off is if we lower the payload specs by 200lbs!!!

Marketing (fingers crossed behind their backs): OK. Sure, we'll make that change before the specs get published.

So, I'll change my previous statement slightly and say that BMW and Triumph ENGINEERING likely know WTF they're doing, but MARKETING doesn't have a friggin' clue.

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #1554
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 718
Well, I'm getting one...an orange one. Getting it factory farkled as well. Everything except the panniers. I want to leave my options open in that department.

The way I see it, I'm not all that skilled an off-road rider. I do prefer my shoes to be knobbies though for the chance that I do venture off the beaten path. And, I do go "off road" probably a lot more than my skill level should allow for...especially with a big, heavy, expensive bike. I spent way too much time picking that 12GS up. So, I'm thinking that because I love my Street Triple's engine so much AND this Tiger is going to be that much lighter that the GS, it's a win win for me.

I don't know about all this rake and trail stuff. I have a feeling that I'll do just fine though. I did a lot of pondering this last summer about what I really wanted/needed in a dual sport bike. At one point, I was ready to plop down dough for a DRZ400. After a re-spring for my weight, I think that would be an awesome choice for 80%+ off road. My problem is, I have to ride lots of slab to get to the good stuff. I'm still not sure if the Tiger 800 is going to be 100% "it" for me but, I think it'll be a good enough compromise in the the areas that matter to me. I think just the fact that it's lighter that what I'm used to will inspire more confidence. I'm looking forward to this Spring.
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #1555
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze
well, I must say - I don't much care for the styling, and the left bag is having to share space with the muffler and since I am more interested in the road version, I'm not real happy about the 19" front wheel either...
Go buy a Speed Triple, 17" front wheel, equidistant mufflers both sides, syling that might suit. Then again, why not a Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade or or... a Yamaha TDM or even maybe the new Honda 800 "CrossDresser"!

Goodnight Irene, we are so spoiled for choice in this age that if you can't find something to suit that you cannot then modify and tweak to suit your precise requirements then you gotta problem!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #1556
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12
... Let's see what Husqvarna does with the F800 Rotax twin motor. My prediction: The Husky version will come in at 425 lbs. wet...
What?

What Husky version with the 800 Rotax?

Fact? Rumor? Source?

That's like, amazingly interesting!!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #1557
EDG1911
Banana Cream!

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak
What?

What Husky version with the 800 Rotax?

Fact? Rumor? Source?

That's like, amazingly interesting!!
thread here:
New Husqvarna 800 Twin coming
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628996
EDG1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #1558
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman
Are we also paying England's VAT?
It looks like a portion of the budget deficit too!

It's a strange thing how VAT works!

It started as a "luxury" tax......A luxury nowadays is heating electricity etc

If I sell to the US it's a 17.5% discount straight away...
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #1559
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67
At one point, I was ready to plop down dough for a DRZ400. .
Plop?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #1560
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Plop?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1288826255