User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #15601
jcshew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
19" Front on Tiger 800XC?

I’m going to go tubeless on my 2011 800XC. Since I have to ride on pavement for 100-150 miles before I reach any decent gravel/dirt roads and two track jeep trails, I was thinking of putting a 19” rim on the front to give it a little more highway bias. I don’t see myself using the bike for tight single track/dual sport rides (I have a street legal XR650R for that) so I won’t be sacrificing any real dirt worthiness for my use.

I was wondering if anyone here has used, or is using, a 19” on the front? Do any of you suspension savvy guys know if it would it upset the balance of the bike enough to make it less stable at highway speeds?

Thanks.
jcshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #15602
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcshew View Post
Im going to go tubeless on my 2011 800XC. Since I have to ride on pavement for 100-150 miles before I reach any decent gravel/dirt roads and two track jeep trails, I was thinking of putting a 19 rim on the front to give it a little more highway bias. I dont see myself using the bike for tight single track/dual sport rides (I have a street legal XR650R for that) so I wont be sacrificing any real dirt worthiness for my use.

I was wondering if anyone here has used, or is using, a 19 on the front? Do any of you suspension savvy guys know if it would it upset the balance of the bike enough to make it less stable at highway speeds?

Thanks.
Between the ABS & the geometry already at the edge of extreme, it's not recommended.
Personally, I would like to see somebody install the roadie wheels on an XC & see what happens.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #15603
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Maybe it's because I just came from a "cruiser," but my XC corners like a DREAM!! Way better than anything I've ever ridden!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #15604
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcshew View Post
Im going to go tubeless on my 2011 800XC. Since I have to ride on pavement for 100-150 miles before I reach any decent gravel/dirt roads and two track jeep trails, I was thinking of putting a 19 rim on the front to give it a little more highway bias. I dont see myself using the bike for tight single track/dual sport rides (I have a street legal XR650R for that) so I wont be sacrificing any real dirt worthiness for my use.

I was wondering if anyone here has used, or is using, a 19 on the front? Do any of you suspension savvy guys know if it would it upset the balance of the bike enough to make it less stable at highway speeds?

Thanks.
I put 8K miles on my Versys which is well known to be a great little canyon carver, and with 4K on the XC I think it's just as good if not faster due to a superior motor. What is it about the XC that you don't like on the road? So you have to give it a little more nudge of counter steer to lean it, but it handles like a dream.

If you are doing any dirt the 21 front is just way better. The GS guys are installing 21's on theirs.

I just don't get it.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #15605
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Been thinking about the same thing.
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #15606
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Gotta agree with The Browneye on this one. The XC is only limited by ground clearance of the foot pegs when riding hard in the twisty bits. However, there is a work around which I've used on every bike I have owned. It's called hanging off, which increases your available lean angle. Anybody who can hustle a sport bike at a good clip around a track (or the street) knows this. With the stock Battlewings or any street tire for that matter, the bike will have no problem hanging with full on sport bikes, but the rider better have the skill set to deal with it before coming here and bitching about the 21" front tire holding him back. That's just a sorry ass excuse for lack of riding skill. I'm very tempted to take my XC to a track day this year. Picking off novices in the beginner class would be huge fun.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #15607
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
No. I meant after market bits, like a set of Penske/Ohlins shocks and Traxxion AK20 cartridges.

One of the best things to do on a HD XR1200 is to replace the shocks with longer aftermarket models. That jacks up the rearend, which nets more travel and reduces rake.

I'm simply thinking aloud, here.
The shocks on mine were Hagon which worked OK but no-one makes anything with a longer stoke. The steering on the Scram is quite steep (steeper than a Bonnie) already so jacking up the rear even more could make it unstable. Harleys all have quite raked out front ends so I guess you can get away with that. Also, as I mentioned already, you increase shock length, you increase seat height to unmanageable levels.
Anyway, I made my choice and got the XC which, incidentally, has a similar seat height, more power, longer tank range and is lighter.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:32 AM   #15608
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
Maybe it's because I just came from a "cruiser," but my XC corners like a DREAM!! Way better than anything I've ever ridden!
It's not because you come from a cruiser. The XC corners at least, if not better than my Tiger955. The XC steering is lighter and it holds a line just as well. I do think ultimate grip at the front will be a little less with the 21"er but I haven't got to that level yet.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #15609
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 126
Winter blues stimulates bike sales

Just signed papers on the 800 XC in green Saturday. Its not due in till mid February. Something about bike shopping this time of year that helps me through the winter.

I'm reading through this thread last night. I confess that I added all the Triumph options onto the bike. Bag's, center stand, skid plate... I'll be calling them on Tuesday to cancel most of that and keep the heated grips. I want to get something more robust as I plan on riding this on Dual Sport rides and lite off road trails. I have a KTM 350 EXC-F that is a brilliant off-road machine that is a from the factory street legal bike. I use it for Turkey Runs mostly and Enduro's when I feel up for some punishment. I wanted the Triumph to try some camping, dirt roads in VT/NH/Maine and to explore longer range than my play bikes I own.

Here's what I'm thinking for options

AltRider skid plate

VPS Barkbusters

Handlebar risers (Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200, '12-, Tiger 800 / 800XC, '11-) 20mm rise

SW-MOTECH Heel Guard Right Side (Triumph Tiger 800 & Tiger 800XC '11-)

SW-MOTECH Heel Guard Left Side (Triumph Tiger 800 & Tiger 800XC '11-)

Renthal # 289-525-15 drop the front sprocket one tooth

heidenau k60 tires

fork protectors made by Kreiga

Holan Bags with locks for my commuting duties

Thoughts?

-Tom
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #15610
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehusa View Post
984, hurry up and get one! This could be you soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6preGN0rM

Good luck with the purchase...Mike
Unless you live in western Colorado, like I do... In which case you are forced to torture yourself watching videos of OTHER people ride until the snow melts in 4 months!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #15611
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Yeah. It's killing me too. Time to move south. !! I wanna ride
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #15612
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
Unless you live in western Colorado, like I do... In which case you are forced to torture yourself watching videos of OTHER people ride until the snow melts in 4 months!
First winter in PA coming from AZ, winter is mild to what I remember growing up in NY but still a lot of days I have to park the bikes. I dont think I have ever watched so many riding videos at one time or spent so much time surfing this forum.

Ural two wheel drive hack and some good heated gear might ease the pain for next winter.
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #15613
jcshew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
19" Front on Tiger 800XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Gotta agree with The Browneye on this one. The XC is only limited by ground clearance of the foot pegs when riding hard in the twisty bits. However, there is a work around which I've used on every bike I have owned. It's called hanging off, which increases your available lean angle. Anybody who can hustle a sport bike at a good clip around a track (or the street) knows this. With the stock Battlewings or any street tire for that matter, the bike will have no problem hanging with full on sport bikes, but the rider better have the skill set to deal with it before coming here and bitching about the 21" front tire holding him back. That's just a sorry ass excuse for lack of riding skill. I'm very tempted to take my XC to a track day this year. Picking off novices in the beginner class would be huge fun.
Re: Rob Dirt
I was wondering about the ABS. I wasn’t sure how it might respond to a different tire diameter.

Re: browneye
I have to agree with you 100% about the motor and handling. I ride with a friend who has a Versys and is a very good rider. With a little more nudging, as you mentioned, I can keep up in the twisties of the Sierra Nevada and Stanislaus Mountain ranges, but once we get on anything considered off road, the 21 is a big advantage and he has a hard time keeping up. During the summer months I sometimes ride with a group that consists of 6-8 1200GS riders and maybe half a dozen or so ZX-GSR type bikes. We do mostly paved roads. But it’s the same scenario when we get off road, the 17’s suffer, the 19’s are better and the 21 is best.

I’ve been riding and racing road and off road bikes for more than 30 years and know the benefits of the larger diameter, narrower front tire for dirt use. As much as I enjoy the XC and plan to keep it for a long time, I don’t see myself using it for the black diamond trails or the Rubicon type roads I ride with my off road bikes. I’m seeing it more for getting me to lakes and campgrounds that are accessible by two track 4x4 -jeep trails. And since I’m going through the expense and exercise of putting on tubeless, I was wondering if having the smaller diameter and larger contact patch of the 19 would give it a smoother, more comfortable ride on the highways.

Thanks to Rob Dirt, browneye , KingofZRoad and HelmetHead Cycle, for your comments.

Re: fullmonte
I was talking to my friend, whom I mentioned, above about posting this question of ADV, and he warned me about having some know-it-all shmuck chime in with his ignorant tripe. And sure enough, there you are.

You make a lame statement about the bike and then go on the attack. I mentioned nothing about the 21 holding me back. That wasn’t the point. Of the 5 who replied, you are the only one that could read between the lines and find the bitching and sorry ass excuse.

I’ll fill you in on a few details: I don’t run the stock Battlewings or any other type of full street tire on my XC. I’ve heard of this thing called “hanging off”. I think I used it few times to win several races at Sears Point riding one of those sport bikes at a good clip. I guess all those other guys, me included, don’t have the skill to “deal with it” because all of us were running 17s and 16s. If only I had not let the 21 hold me back I could have raced the XC and taken the championship….. I could have been a contender!

It’s a real shame Triumph didn’t have you around when they came up with the Tiger concept. They could have saved a lot of time and money just offering the XC with the 21 front and telling all those lesser skilled who might have bought the 800 Roadie to just stop their bitching and sorry ass excesses and just “deal with it”.

I’m also impressed by your temptation to take your XC to the track and pick off novices and beginners. Let us know when you plan to take you 21” rimmed-street tired XC to the track to take on the intermediates, vets and pros. Now that would be HUGE FUN!

jcshew screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 04:05 PM
jcshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #15614
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I put a Rick Mayer seat on mine.

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

I absolutely love it and the missus loves the difference in the back. For me, the stock seat started to get uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. I took it for a 3 hours ride last weekend and the Mayer seat felt great the whole way.

I have tried Corbins in the past, and they were a marginal improvement. But this thing is orders of magnitude better than anything else I have tried.
Photos as requested.

Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #15615
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Looks nice
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote