Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #15646
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I test rode both models, had been leaning toward the roadie as I was looking for a replacement for my road bike. And they are a grand less, and I liked the alloy wheels and tubless tires. I rode the roadie first, was amazed how smooth. Took the XC just to make sure it wasn't enough better to warrant the extra cost. To my surprise they were VERY similar, but the XC was definitely more plush and I liked that. After mulling it for a couple of days it was clear the XC was a better choice for me, for my riding. Looking back there should have been no question.

Anyway, bottom line is that the XC is definitely more plush, and as long as you don't ride it really hard it doesn't suffer from diving and see-sawing. And it handles corners well too. I know this doesn't help you with your roadie, but with some suspension mods I'll bet you could get it to a level of comfort you would be satisfied with.

Very well said browneye. Exactly the way I was thinking when I purchased, grand less, tubeless, smooth. I'm still on the fence as whether I should have ended up with the XC but like you said with some suspension mods I'll be able to sort it out. It's not terrible on pavement but off pavement it needs some work.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #15647
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
Very well said browneye. Exactly the way I was thinking when I purchased, grand less, tubeless, smooth. I'm still on the fence as whether I should have ended up with the XC but like you said with some suspension mods I'll be able to sort it out. It's not terrible on pavement but off pavement it needs some work.
Find a good suspension shop and they'll do it nicely for you. Or spend more money and get a Traxxion/Penske or Traxxion/Wilbers or Oehlins solution.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #15648
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Find a good suspension shop and they'll do it nicely for you. Or spend more money and get a Traxxion/Penske or Traxxion/Wilbers or Oehlins solution.
Matris and Ohlins have both released front cartridge kits for the 800 and XC. So we now have lots of choices.
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #15649
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
What do u guys think of a 2012 abs. Xc with 20,000 miles. With a few farkles and triumph panniers for $9000. ??
Good deal? To many miles for the price ? Worth it to just ge a new one ?
I like the price. Don't like the mileage but it has been serviced on regular basis by dealer. Let me know what u think

hey sound farm if that triumph 800xc is from kansas thats my bike i posted for sale lol
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #15650
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSF View Post
Matris and Ohlins have both released front cartridge kits for the 800 and XC. So we now have lots of choices.
While we're on forks..... Anyone had their XC forks apart?
I wanted to perhaps reduce the preload (cut down any spacer in there) and/or remove some oil to make them a little softer and, hopefully, make the ride less jittery on the road. When I unscrewed one of the top caps, it didn't want to come off. When it reached the top of the thread it snapped back as if it was being held down by something inside.
Any clues anyone?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #15651
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Dropped my 2011 tiger 800xc off at the dealers this morning for some experimental surgery.

Bike has 45000km on the clocks, have had it since new.

Was 200km away in the middle of nowhere this weekend when the gearbox refused to cooperate and I couldnt downshift past 4th. Eventually was able to get the full gearbox range back by half backshifting up before shifting down. Gear shifter has lost its spring.

I had the gear selector spring recall fitted 7000km ago. I'm thinking its broken or disconnected. Hopefully its not been injested by the engine.

Anyone else had this?
PirateDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #15652
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

New MRA screen.

So today I fitted an MRA screen which was designed to fit an Explorer. http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Triu...html#aCOL58227

I do have an advantage in that I already have the Palmer adjustable brackets. So all I had to do was line it up and drill some holes to match.
Layed back in the lowest setting....

Front of screen lowest but the rear raised up....

I do reckon that it could be mounted without the Palmer stuff by using the OE Triumph mounts at the front of the screen and the MRA fittings from their 800 screen http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/info-COL57407.html at the sides and drilling holes to suit.

I went with this screen for two main reasons :-
a) it's designed to fit around the headlamps and, therefore, looks better than any other screen I've seen.
b) it's wider than other screens I've seen.
Haven't had a chance to try it yet because the weather's pissing down.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #15653
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
While we're on forks..... Anyone had their XC forks apart?
I wanted to perhaps reduce the preload (cut down any spacer in there) and/or remove some oil to make them a little softer and, hopefully, make the ride less jittery on the road. When I unscrewed one of the top caps, it didn't want to come off. When it reached the top of the thread it snapped back as if it was being held down by something inside.
Any clues anyone?
You need to pull the forks completely off the bike. Once you do that, you can collapse the fork, which will push the spring up and the cap. I'm not thinking there's any retainer. The spring may just be stuck inside the cap. Furthermore, the spacer (if there is one) will probably be at the bottom, which means dumping the oil and refilling. You'll need a fork oil tool, to set the air gap.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #15654
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You need to pull the forks completely off the bike. Once you do that, you can collapse the fork, which will push the spring up and the cap. I'm not thinking there's any retainer. The spring may just be stuck inside the cap. Furthermore, the spacer (if there is one) will probably be at the bottom, which means dumping the oil and refilling. You'll need a fork oil tool, to set the air gap.
I used a piece of bronze brazing rod with the correct level marked on it, and a turkey baster to add and remove fluid. Alot cheaper than that tool. This was on my Legend, and not a Tiger, so I could be missing something that is different?
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #15655
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Thanks. I've got the level tool. I was hoping that I could just take the cap off and delve inside. This is obviously going to be more involved. I did find this in my searches. http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38739
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #15656
protesto
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Leovince mapping for Tiger 800xc

Hi,

I'm from Istanbul and this is my first post on this forum. I hope you can help me.

I've recently bought a 2011 model Tiger 800xc. My bike came with a Leovince L Sbk exhaust on it. On the service we've checked software updates and we saw that there are 2 updates: for standard exhaust and arrow exhaust. Since leoovince is performance exhaust we've choosen update for arrow model. I don't know if the mapping of arrow matches with leovince. Should I choose the mapping for standard exhaust?

Thanks for your help.
protesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #15657
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by protesto View Post
Hi,

I'm from Istanbul and this is my first post on this forum. I hope you can help me.

I've recently bought a 2011 model Tiger 800xc. My bike came with a Leovince L Sbk exhaust on it. On the service we've checked software updates and we saw that there are 2 updates: for standard exhaust and arrow exhaust. Since leoovince is performance exhaust we've choosen update for arrow model. I don't know if the mapping of arrow matches with leovince. Should I choose the mapping for standard exhaust?

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to the asylum.

Read this thread and if that doesn't answer your question, ask again in that thread and someone will know.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #15658
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Thanks. I've got the level tool. I was hoping that I could just take the cap off and delve inside. This is obviously going to be more involved. I did find this in my searches. http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38739
Those are fully-adjustable.

The last set of forks I had apart, ~8yrs ago, were non-adjustable like the T800. They didn't require a spring compressor.

Hell, dig in. The worst thing that can happen is you have to put 'em back together.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #15659
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
Heated grips!

Buddy of mine just picked up his new Triumph 800XC and had the factory Triumph heated grips installed. We were out for a cool blast on the weekend at 25F. His grips didn't seem very warm even on the high setting. We checked my cheap $85. Oxfords and they we almost burning my hands on the highest setting. His grips were just barely warm. Not sure if this is the same on all factory heated grips but if so, save some bucks and install the Oxfords. May want to check with other Triumph owners on this topic.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #15660
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Buddy of mine just picked up his new Triumph 800XC and had the factory Triumph heated grips installed. We were out for a cool blast on the weekend at 25F. His grips didn't seem very warm even on the high setting. We checked my cheap $85. Oxfords and they we almost burning my hands on the highest setting. His grips were just barely warm. Not sure if this is the same on all factory heated grips but if so, save some bucks and install the Oxfords. May want to check with other Triumph owners on this topic.
I agree. I did a "How to" about connecting the electrics for the Oxford ones. http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,7459.0.html