Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #15751
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn slim View Post
I'm contemplating the purchase of an 800 Roadie this spring. I do no off-road riding, only streets, backroads and some slab.

Would there be a reason to get the XC instead of the Roadie for my purposes? NO

I believe the shocks and forks are larger diameter on the XC, with longer travel as well. More comfortable ride? I'd probably swap out the tires for something with a road tread, but other than that, is there something that recommends the XC over the roadie for a non-dirt rider? NO

Do you think the roadie would be better "around town" than the XC? YES

Thanks.

But you already knew that.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #15752
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Now you go me thinking I should just go w/ the Roadie.... You're saying the suspension is a bit stiffer than the XC (I'm ~200lbs + gear)? In all honesty, I started looking at the Explorer XC at the MC show, with the shaft drive, tubeless spoked tires, and a bunch of standard farkles, but it's just more bike than I really need, or want to pay for, so I kinda moved over to looking at the 800 XC without even giving the 800 a chance. Just watched a couple of video reviews on the 800 Road and it seems like it may be just as capable as the XC on anything that I may end up on. I really like the style of the spoked wheels, but I've also been thinking that the tubes may be a PITA, so maybe the 800 is the way to go. I would save about $750 (based on MSRP) once I add the extras I want.

BTW, anyone know if the Wolfman racks fit the 800? I had a set of luggage all picked out for the XC, but I'm not sure if the racks are common between the 2 bikes - everywhere I see them it specifically says 800 XC?
The suspension is different on the roadie. I wouldn't call it stiffer, but firmer yes because it's shorter. It's still very smooth. Firmer is an advantage on the street. Less dive, no corner wallowing, no see-sawing. Not that the XC has those bad traits, it's surprisingly well composed.

Wolfman racks work on either model. The two models are identical except for wheels, suspension, and steering geometry. Otherwise everything is the same.

Either 800 is a terrific bike. The Explorer is big and heavy and a lot more money. If you're going to that class of bike then look at GS, Super Tenere, and MotoGuzzi Stelvio as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #15753
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The suspension is different on the roadie. I wouldn't call it stiffer, but firmer yes because it's shorter.
Which is still kind of weird because the spring we pulled out of my forks was less stiff than the one we put in (I'm 72kg before any clothing or gear). The spring I have now is stiffer, but the ride is more comfortable and way more controlled.

A re-valving and new springs should be possible for about $400 at a really good shop and the results are pretty good.

The suspension quality on the XC is better, but I noticed the effects of the longer travel and softer setup negatively for my type of riding. Therefore the Roadie was better for me personally even before making the suspension adjustments.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #15754
Michel77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Not sure if this was posted here, think it was just published by Icon? Thought it was an interesting interpretation after they did their Portland - Dakar bikes..

http://icon1000.com/bike/dromedarii/

Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #15755
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Whats the high mileage of the tigers on here how do they fair on mileage ?? mine is coming up on 10K miles its a 2011 XC what mileage you guys got ????
Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #15756
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel77 View Post
Not sure if this was posted here, think it was just published by Icon? Thought it was an interesting interpretation after they did their Portland - Dakar bikes..

http://icon1000.com/bike/dromedarii/

Don't ask me why, but I want one!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #15757
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
OMG....don't brake too hard on that bike. This tank could perform rather horrible surgery on rider!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #15758
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure boy View Post
Whats the high mileage of the tigers on here how do they fair on mileage ?? mine is coming up on 10K miles its a 2011 XC what mileage you guys got ????
I'm at 31,000 miles on my 2011 XC. Zero problems; valves haven't even needed adjustment. Awesome bike.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #15759
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
BTW, anyone know if the Wolfman racks fit the 800? I had a set of luggage all picked out for the XC, but I'm not sure if the racks are common between the 2 bikes - everywhere I see them it specifically says 800 XC?
Racks are the same for 800 and 800XC.
pilot3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #15760
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

A re-valving and new springs should be possible for about $400 at a really good shop and the results are pretty good.
+1
For this price which is less than the difference between XC and roadie you could have your roadie suspension working better for YOU than the XC would be IF the suspension on the XC has you thinking the XC would be a better choice.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #15761
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
Quote:
The suspension is different on the roadie. I wouldn't call it stiffer, but firmer yes because it's shorter. It's still very smooth. Firmer is an advantage on the street. Less dive, no corner wallowing, no see-sawing. Not that the XC has those bad traits, it's surprisingly well composed.

Wolfman racks work on either model. The two models are identical except for wheels, suspension, and steering geometry. Otherwise everything is the same.

Either 800 is a terrific bike. The Explorer is big and heavy and a lot more money. If you're going to that class of bike then look at GS, Super Tenere, and MotoGuzzi Stelvio as well.
Thank, browneye (and all others who replied). If the snowstorm we're getting today/tonight doesn't shut them down, I may go drool over the Tigers at the dealer again tomorrow, and will give the Road some more consideration. Looks like the 800 Road even comes in blue, so some of my existing gear will even match and can save a few $$$ by not having to get new stuff.

BTW, I was looking at a Stelvio in a showroom recently... beautiful bike, but not very good on gas. I have this hangup that a bike should get at least 40mpg. Otherwise, it looked like a lot of bike for the price.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #15762
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I'm at 31,000 miles on my 2011 XC. Zero problems; valves haven't even needed adjustment. Awesome bike.

--mark
Thanks Mark thats some good riding in 2 yrs mate well done
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #15763
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
BTW, I was looking at a Stelvio in a showroom recently... beautiful bike, but not very good on gas. I have this hangup that a bike should get at least 40mpg. Otherwise, it looked like a lot of bike for the price.
Check out the Stelvio merge thread here. From what little I know they are solid, the motor has been around forever, and there's almost a cult following. For about fourteen grand it comes with everything, panniers, guards, shaft-drive, and a big fat comfy seat, they are very complete. I sat on one at our local exotica dealer before and after I bought my Tiger. Thought both times I thought it was a 'big' bike, but nicely finished and a TON of value. I didn't ride one, only the GS and Tenere. I would take a Tenere over the GS, hands down. Did not ride the Explorer, by then I decided the size of the 800 was about all I wanted to wrestle with. Very happy owner here.

Comes with a hot blond...

Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #15764
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
Quote:

SOLD!
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #15765
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
Check out the Stelvio merge thread here. From what little I know they are solid, the motor has been around forever, and there's almost a cult following. For about fourteen grand it comes with everything, panniers, guards, shaft-drive, and a big fat comfy seat, they are very complete. I sat on one at our local exotica dealer before and after I bought my Tiger. Thought both times I thought it was a 'big' bike, but nicely finished and a TON of value. I didn't ride one, only the GS and Tenere. I would take a Tenere over the GS, hands down. Did not ride the Explorer, by then I decided the size of the 800 was about all I wanted to wrestle with. Very happy owner here.

I have ridden one and they're absolutely horrible. The vibration through the handlebars is enough to give you white finger. It was like there was someone hitting the handlebars HARD with a hammer.
On top of that it was gutless and the mpg readout never got above 40mpg.
Same day I also rode the Dorsoduro. Now that was a real hoot but still very thirsty.