Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #15781
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Well if you're not planning on dropping it, the bike is pretty much good to go!

Seriously though, engine guards/crash bars are good to have, and real handguards to replace the plastic POS that come with the bike.

If you're getting into more difficult terrain, you may want to look at a skid plate.

If you're planning on sloppy terrain, maybe raise the front mudguard and get an extension (ie fenda extenda). Also some shock protection, in the form of a shock sock, mudflap (my preference), or hugger. Perhaps a rear mudguard extension too.

But other than that, just farkle to taste.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #15782
Hulley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thanks for the replies. I'm stopping by my local Triumph dealer (again) and I'll check out a few options. Would you go with Triumph accessories or aftermarket? I would be nice to add these items at time of purchase but I'm pretty handy with a wrench and can install after if need be.
Also, what is a good site to check out 800 XC goodies?
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #15783
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm stopping by my local Triumph dealer (again) and I'll check out a few options. Would you go with Triumph accessories or aftermarket? I would be nice to add these items at time of purchase but I'm pretty handy with a wrench and can install after if need be.
I'm more or less in the same boat as you, looking to buy an 800 this Spring (probably leaning towards a roadie, now). With the exception of the hand guards, IMO, the OEM parts are nice unless you're planning on serious off-road, in which case you may want to look aftermarket for the protection. Check out www.twistedthrottle.com and www.touratech.com as a start, and there's a Tiger Farkle thread here for more suggestions - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840096.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #15784
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
The triumph engine guards look to be the best engine protection, and a lot of guys swear by them. I went with Holan bars because I wanted some radiator protection. A lot of people like the SW Motech bars for the same reason.

I went with the Triumph front mudguard extension, and it seems good. I've never seen the Pyramid fenda extenda in person. The Triumph rear fender extension isn't available anymore. I got the Touratech one, but wasn't really happy with it. A universal Acerbis inner mudflap is a popular mod. You have to trim and figure out how to mount it yourself.

Barkbusters Storm and Highway Dirtbikes are popular handguard options.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #15785
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Seems like that should be a recall for all of us that do the old wd40 squirt every once in awhile. Not that it's that big of a deal, just kinda annoying is all. Triumph should fix the problem for good. I'm gonna duck now
Lol no need to duck. Just take the bushing off, clean any grit off and out of it, apply waterproof grease e.g. bearing grease along the shaft, then put a small plug of grease into the bushing ends and slide it on. The grease inside from the shaft lubricates and fills up the tiny required gap between the bushing and the shaft it rotates on and the tiny blob at each end acts as a gasket to seal out the dust. There's no impact or issue with dust being caught up in the grease, only if it gets through the grease and back into that gap.

The motor and so on is fine -- Triumph could have used some kind of sealed bearing thing there maybe but the fact of the matter is you don't need to worry if the above is done at services when you've got things open anyway. It idles fine in the dustiest conditions from then on.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #15786
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840096
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #15787
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
Other than bags obviously, are there some stock components that are considered weak and should be replaced before they break and cause more damage?
I'd replace the handguards with a set of Barkbusters with aluminum backbone and add some engine protection bars. I have the Triumph bars, which are okay in a tip over but don't protect the tank in a high side slide (don't ask me how I know). Next time I might go with SW Motech bars. Or none, so that the insurance can just total the bike ...

If you do more than just gravel roads, I'd get the large Triumph skid plate.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #15788
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Where are you finding the Barkbusters, they have been out of stock since I bought my xc. TT says maybe at the end of the month, please check back......

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #15789
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Lol no need to duck. Just take the bushing off, clean any grit off and out of it, apply waterproof grease e.g. bearing grease along the shaft, then put a small plug of grease into the bushing ends and slide it on. The grease inside from the shaft lubricates and fills up the tiny required gap between the bushing and the shaft it rotates on and the tiny blob at each end acts as a gasket to seal out the dust. There's no impact or issue with dust being caught up in the grease, only if it gets through the grease and back into that gap.

The motor and so on is fine -- Triumph could have used some kind of sealed bearing thing there maybe but the fact of the matter is you don't need to worry if the above is done at services when you've got things open anyway. It idles fine in the dustiest conditions from then on.
Yeah. That's my plan next time I have the tank off. I guess I'd just like to see Triumph step up and take care of it for me. Seems that would be the right thing to do, but what do I know
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #15790
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
Where are you finding the Barkbusters, they have been out of stock since I bought my xc. TT says maybe at the end of the month, please check back......
I'm in the same boat as you. Found and ordered them from http://www.pca-one.com and I promptly got an email saying they were out of stock till around March...
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #15791
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Found and ordered them from http://www.pca-one.com and I promptly got an email saying they were out of stock till around March...
www.twistedthrottle.com

I had mine at the house in a few days. Here's the link:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/barkb...-explorer-1200

I upgraded to the Storm hand guards instead of the VPS. The Storm are a bit more protective and fit on the same backbone.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #15792
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
www.twistedthrottle.com

I had mine at the house in a few days. Here's the link:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/barkb...-explorer-1200

I upgraded to the Storm hand guards instead of the VPS. The Storm are a bit more protective and fit on the same backbone.
When you go to select the option/gaurd all are out of stock.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #15793
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
I got the replacement plastics I needed after I hit a deer from England:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...rkbusters.html

Overall it was about 10 bucks more including expedited shipping (ordered on Sunday, they were at the house yesterday). Same speed shipping from Twisted Throttle would have been the same price if they had them in stock, which they don't.

Twisted Throttle is a good shop, but their shipping is either super slow or fairly expensive compared to any other online retailer I use.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #15794
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
[QUOTE=cug;20718425]I got the replacement plastics I needed after I hit a deer from England:

Did that deer have an English accent?
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #15795
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead Cycle View Post
Did that deer have an English accent?
It did of course. Sounded like a bar brawler tough guy ...

Yeah, wasn't the best english I ever typed. Not rare for me as English is not my first language ...