Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #15961
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
Read why it was changed here and complain to the Boss..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=23

Or and get back on topic
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #15962
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Read why it was changed here and complain to the Boss..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=23

Or and get back on topic
Hey, arent you suppose to be over in the S10 thread complaining about low acceleration and bent spokes?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #15963
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
For what it's worth, mine started making that startup clatter at about 6,000 miles. It irritated me, so I followed the procedure in the manual for removing the tensioner. Looking at it, I saw that the resister ring (the piece tht holds the plunger in place in absence of oil pressure) was out of position. I reset the ring and reinstalled the tensioner and no more noise.
Thanks. I will look into this to see if this is the cause of my clatter. Just wondering if you noticed an increase in clatter at lower start up temps? Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #15964
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Someone please kill the new format.
What new format? Mine's never changed.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #15965
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
What new format? Mine's never changed.
Several people had the "Crash" format on when they opened the forum. The evil Baldy was up to tricks.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #15966
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,576
I never changed over from the Crash skin. Evidently it must be set somewhere in my preferences, which is good because I like it better than the others anyway.

In news that's actually Tiger-related, um... Have any of you who ride in winter begun to experience any problems with parts of the Tiger rusting? If so, where specifically? Mine hasn't, but I also avoid taking it out when conditions are excessively salty, especially when they're also wet enough to spray a mist of the crap all over the bike. Would be good to know specific spots to keep an eye on though.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #15967
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 148
Bazzaz Traction control

So has anyone installed one of these Bazzaz Quickshifter-Traction Control-Fuel Management units on their Tiger 800? I would be interested to know what their take on it was? Seems strange to offer something like this for an adventure bike, but maybe it was not much of a retro-fit from the 675 bikes it is offered for.

http://www.bazzaz.net/index.php/triumph/tiger-800-11-12

They are cheaper on Ebay BTW.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #15968
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I never changed over from the Crash skin. Evidently it must be set somewhere in my preferences, which is good because I like it better than the others anyway.

In news that's actually Tiger-related, um... Have any of you who ride in winter begun to experience any problems with parts of the Tiger rusting? If so, where specifically? Mine hasn't, but I also avoid taking it out when conditions are excessively salty, especially when they're also wet enough to spray a mist of the crap all over the bike. Would be good to know specific spots to keep an eye on though.

--mark
Funnily the only items on the Tiger that are not pristine are 3rd party vendor stuff like the Hepco & Becker rear rack and Holan pannier racks. The Triumph stuff is all holding up well.

Oh did change the brakepad retaining pins for someone's stainless pins as the oem were corroding badly.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #15969
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Funnily the only items on the Tiger that are not pristine are 3rd party vendor stuff like the Hepco & Becker rear rack and Holan pannier racks. The Triumph stuff is all holding up well.

Oh did change the brakepad retaining pins for someone's stainless pins as the oem were corroding badly.
this reminds me, i need to replace the bolts that hold the abs ring on to the caliper. last i looked one of them was rusting.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #15970
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,059
Hey y'all. I finally bought a Tiger and finally am posting after a bunch of life getting in the way!

Anyway, just wanted to share my luggage setup. Seahorse cases on SW-Motech QR racks. These bags are cheap! About half the price of Pelicans. Pelicans are much tougher but a lot heavier too. For the price, I'd consider the Seahorses sacrificial.

I also installed a Triumph skidplate, handguards, and electrical socket, and SW-Motech engine bars. I have the Triumph electric grips on order.

I'm still in the break-in period on this bike but I LOVE it!

At first I didn't like the asymmetry of the luggage rack, but it's grown on me. Kinda cool!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #15971
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Untitled
Nice.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #15972
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
For what it's worth, mine started making that startup clatter at about 6,000 miles. It irritated me, so I followed the procedure in the manual for removing the tensioner. Looking at it, I saw that the resister ring (the piece tht holds the plunger in place in absence of oil pressure) was out of position. I reset the ring and reinstalled the tensioner and no more noise.
Cam chain noise and valve clatter sound totally different. Obviously, we don't know which bikes sound like what. For what it's worth, APE offer a manual tensioner (I'm not 100% sure of T800 fitment, though). A lot of the Daytona guys installed them, which rid the bikes of their mid-rpm cam chain noise. I installed one, as a precautionary measure, on my 675.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #15973
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
[QUOTE=ducnut;20783863]Cam chain noise and valve clatter sound totally different./QUOTE]

For sure. But a clatter at startup that goes away after a couple of seconds just screams tensioner at me.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #15974
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
For sure. But a clatter at startup that goes away after a couple of seconds just screams tensioner at me.
Put a stethoscope up to the right side of the cylinder block and cold start the bike. It should come through, loud and clear.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #15975
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Hey y'all. I finally bought a Tiger and finally am posting after a bunch of life getting in the way!

Anyway, just wanted to share my luggage setup. Seahorse cases on SW-Motech QR racks. These bags are cheap! About half the price of Pelicans. Pelicans are much tougher but a lot heavier too. For the price, I'd consider the Seahorses sacrificial.

I also installed a Triumph skidplate, handguards, and electrical socket, and SW-Motech engine bars. I have the Triumph electric grips on order.

I'm still in the break-in period on this bike but I LOVE it!

At first I didn't like the asymmetry of the luggage rack, but it's grown on me. Kinda cool!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
We need pictures!!! ;0)
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote