Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #1591
skyguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
At this price point if they are spoked wheels they will have tubes.
What price point? I've been spinning thru the last few pages and haven't seen a price yet. Did I miss it?
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #1592
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
It would appear Triumph are committed to backing a fully capable off road bike. They talk about "tackling jumps" and "rough trails", claiming the bike is "tough as they come".
For some people, offroad is a gentle, graded fire road. For others, offroad is a rough jeep two track trail. For others, it means hardcore singletrack.

I think manufacturers and many riders need to change how they use the term. You are not offroad if you are on a maintained dirt or gravel surface. And that's what these big adventure bikes are built for, and we should say it's "off pavement" and not "off road".

Ad copy describing or pictures showing the Tiger (or 800GS, etc) going off jumps, blasting through sand dunes, and the like... they are a fantasy, closed course scenario with proffesional riders. If you try to use the bike in that fashion, it will break, or you will be broken!

The campaign around the 800GS was posters showing great, epic riding with the words "unstoppable". Now we all should have known it was bullsh*t from the start, but many people are finding out the hard way that these big twin cylinder bikes just aren't able to cope with real, punishing, repeated, off road abuse. There are some exceptions, but BUYER BEWARE.

You can't have everything! You want a smooth, powerful comfortable street bike that carves the canyons with the squids, and also can go deeply offroad while not feeling like a fish out of water? Oh and you want it to be reliable and affordable? Yeah, we all want that! It's not possible.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #1593
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,038
~$10K-$11K for the two models, supposedly.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #1594
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman
~$10K-$11K for the two models, supposedly.
5K each? Schweet!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #1595
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert
5K each? Schweet!
I'm with you brother!
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #1596
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
Wheel size/type?
Apologies if it's 205, but I just realised the 800 has alloy spoked wheels, while the XC has Excel rims, fwiw.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #1597
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy
What price point? I've been spinning thru the last few pages and haven't seen a price yet. Did I miss it?
The UK prices, fwiw, are 7000 for the base 800, and 7500 for the base XC.

In perspective, a Street Triple costs 6500 and a Daytona 675 special edition costs 9000.

In other words, very good value in this market at least.
IBA #40578

Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #1598
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly
As for durability testing, until the real world gets these things and beats them up for a year I wouldn't believe any manufacturing claims. I know that sounds anti kool-aid but only after a year or so did we hear the ramblings of the bent shock bolts and fuel tank cracks and softy suspension of the 800GS! I'm just saying.......
Too true ... and why I won't be first in line to buy this new bike. I'll let the un-paid Beta testers run the new Tiger through the paces and see what happens. Then give Triumph a year to correct any glaring errors ... then (for me) the bike could be ready for prime time.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #1599
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
I emailed my dealer to ask when they would have one to look at. They answered they didn't know, but they were taking orders for them. I asked what they were going to cost. I got an email saying they didn't know.....taking orders, but don't know what they are gonna cost???? I asked if anyone had been dumb enough to order one not knowing what it would cost, and the reply was yes. WTF?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #1600
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Too true ... and why I won't be first in line to buy this new bike. I'll let the un-paid Beta testers run the new Tiger through the paces and see what happens. Then give Triumph a year to correct any glaring errors ... then (for me) the bike could be ready for prime time.
+1
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #1601
allanmca
rollin rollin rollin..

Oddometer: 56
Just spoke with dealer in Atlanta. They'll have them in January. Expecting $10k for 800 and $11k for 800 XC. He's getting updated from his Triumph rep every few weeks and they'll let me know the price as soon as he has it.

He actually said he's going to sell some of his own bikes and take an 800XC. The demand is growing quick. I think that, unless you start putting down a deposit now, you'll be lucky to get your hands on one until end of 2011.

He did have a tempting 2006 Tiger 955 with 16000 miles - $5k.
Half the price, get it now, and then swap out for the 800 XC in a year. Anyone know of problems with the 2006 Tiger?

A
Kawa ZR-7
allanmca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #1602
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmca
He actually said he's going to sell some of his own bikes and take an 800XC. The demand is growing quick. I think that, unless you start putting down a deposit now, you'll be lucky to get your hands on one until end of 2011.
My dealer (UK) says 500 deposit to secure March/April delivery. The first batch are sold out. There is also a fairly long list for the demo ride.
IBA #40578

Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #1603
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
My dealer (UK) says 500 deposit to secure March/April delivery. The first batch are sold out. There is also a fairly long list for the demo ride.
First batch sold out? that's too bad.....maybe wait for 2012 then if these are selling like hot cakes.....Someone might have a few ride reports on-line by then.

There's only two things got with rushing.....Heart attacks and babies!
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #1604
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy
First batch sold out? that's too bad.....maybe wait for 2012 then if these are selling like hot cakes.....Someone might have a few ride reports on-line by then.

There's only two things got with rushing.....Heart attacks and babies!
I dunno Keithy, it took quite a while for the Street Triple sales to slow down. But the 500 is refundable, so if I can afford it I may pay the deposit and see how the pennies stack-up in Spring.

The dealer seems confident they will sell any cancelled order anyway.
IBA #40578

Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #1605
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman
Yeah, but your XR650 was designed, what, 20 years ago? They can do it. It would be close, but it's possible.
R not L, it ws designed 10 years ago as Baja racer, water cooled, Al frame, ever see "Dust to Glory"?

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote