Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #16051
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
For anyone that has done the valve inspection themselves, were you able to do it without removing the air box? From the side seems like there might be room to get the valve cover off without removing the air box. I wasn't paying attention to that last time I have the tank lifted for filter replacement.
I had the airbox off when checking out the stepper motor and installing the uni pre-filter. There's nothing to it, so either way. Valve check should be a cake walk.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #16052
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I had the airbox off when checking out the stepper motor and installing the uni pre-filter. There's nothing to it, so either way. Valve check should be a cake walk.
I've had the airbox off before as well and while it's easy, it's still one less step if it doesn't need to be taken off.

Anyway, I got the valve cover off and the airbox doesn't need to be taken off. The two screws holding the rectifier on need to be backed all the way out to get enough clearance to remove the cover as it hits the throttle linkage on the other side.

I just suspend the tank from above rather than removing fuel lines etc... and taking it off.

Back to my CCT, the marks on the cam gears still seem to be lining up so it appears all is well with that. I'll check the valves later or tomorrow.

Some small leakage around the gasket surrounding two of the spark plugs but not bad. After 13k+ miles the plugs looked good but will be replaced.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #16053
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
The throttle cable bracket that is attached to the throttle bodies didn't get in the way of removing the valve cover? I needed to remove the bracket in order to get the cover off. The book says to completely remove the throttle bodies.
GearHd6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #16054
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,122
quite possibly a strange questions... engine "sound".. "noise" ???

Minutes away from pulling the trigger on a Tiger

Its a used bike and all seems fine EXCEPT... the engine makes what to me sounds a bit "strange"??? I know sounds can be hard to explain but Ill give it a shot... there seems to be a "whirring" sound coming from the front/top of the motor... almost.. I say.. almost.. like an accessory belt on a car that needs some lube....

Ive owner lots and lots and lots of bikes and the engines often sound very different... but this is a new one too me anyway..

Is this a "normal" engine sound for the Tiger???

thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #16055
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post

Its a used bike and all seems fine EXCEPT... the engine makes what to me sounds a bit "strange"??? I know sounds can be hard to explain but Ill give it a shot... there seems to be a "whirring" sound coming from the front/top of the motor... almost.. I say.. almost.. like an accessory belt on a car that needs some lube....

Ive owner lots and lots and lots of bikes and the engines often sound very different... but this is a new one too me anyway..

thanks,
-Brian
Whine/whirr or whistling is signature sound of that and some other Triumph engines. But without hearing it - not easy to say 100% that it is usual or not. Generally it is not very silent motor.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #16056
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:

thanks,
-Brian
Signature sound of the modern, Triumph triple. It's the counter-balancer drive gears, as they're straight-cut and that causes the whirring/whining sound. That sound should be more apparent, down on the right side of the engine.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #16057
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:

thanks,
-Brian
yes
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #16058
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
The throttle cable bracket that is attached to the throttle bodies didn't get in the way of removing the valve cover? I needed to remove the bracket in order to get the cover off. The book says to completely remove the throttle bodies.

The cam cover gets stuck between that bracket and the finned heat sink on the other side. Loosen but not completely removing that heat sink seemed easier to me so that's what I did.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #16059
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,122
thanks for the replies on the "whirring" sound quesiton...

now I know.

Trigger is pulled (non XC)... should be in the garage by tomorrow.

Let the farkleing/mods begin

Speaking of mods.... I will be mounting some more aggressive tires (probably the Shinko 705's).. wondering if the lower front fender causes a problem with taller tires???

Also open to suggestions as far as what (more aggressive) tires?

thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #16060
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,283
Quote:
Speaking of mods.... I will be mounting some more aggressive tires (probably the Shinko 705's).. wondering if the lower front fender causes a problem with taller tires???

Also open to suggestions as far as what (more aggressive) tires?

thanks,
-Brian
Consider FullBore USA's. The rear is v-rated and tubless. For all I know the front 19 is too. I have about 3K on mine on the XC, they will probly go another thou. Good tire on and off pavement. And cheap as hell.

Unless you're really going to see more than the occasional dirt road the scorp trails that come on them are a superb tire. Air down to about 22 for dirt traction. But then you dd need to air back up for hiway. I carry a 12v pump.

Personally I wouldn't do anything more aggressive for a roadie. Heideneau K60's are another good choice - more $$, and little more aggressive tread.

Not mods req'd for either.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #16061
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Personally I found the scorpion tyres to lose all semblance of grip when half worn. Rubbish on the road. A better, much better,tyre is the Dunlop trailmax. Raising the mudguard on the 800, ad opposed to the xc, requires changing the brake hoses.

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #16062
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Personally I found the scorpion tyres to lose all semblance of grip when half worn. Rubbish on the road. A better, much better,tyre is the Dunlop trailmax. Raising the mudguard on the 800, ad opposed to the xc, requires changing the brake hoses.

Sent from my Tiger 800
What kind of mileage are you getting with the Trailmax?

Also curious what kind of mileage I might expect with the stock scorp trails? What are you guys getting?
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #16063
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 214
I replaced my original set of Scorpion Trails at 11,300. The front had a little better than 50% tread,
and the rears were pretty close to the wear bars. Had the money so I figured I'd just change them
out now. Plus, it gave me the opportunity to have the TPMS sensors installed.

I don't think the Scorpion Trails are horrible, but I'm thinking about Dunops for the next pair.
CPORet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #16064
Hulley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Well I should be ordering 2013 800 XC soon and I have a few questions.

Are the Triumph accessories any good? I'm thinking of ordering my 800 XC with these items.
Center Stand
Bash plate
Engine crash bars
Radiator guard.

For the money I think they are priced fine but not sure of their protection worthyness. I've been a motocrosser all my life and have no problems wanting to tackle some nice trails.

I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy and have no problem buying aftermarket bars/bash plate etc and installing them myself. I was just thinking it would be easier getting them at time of sale.

Thanks
Steve
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #16065
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
Well I should be ordering 2013 800 XC soon and I have a few questions.

Are the Triumph accessories any good? I'm thinking of ordering my 800 XC with these items.
Center Stand
Bash plate
Engine crash bars
Radiator guard.

For the money I think they are priced fine but not sure of their protection worthyness. I've been a motocrosser all my life and have no problems wanting to tackle some nice trails.

I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy and have no problem buying aftermarket bars/bash plate etc and installing them myself. I was just thinking it would be easier getting them at time of sale.

Thanks
Steve
In my opinion bash plate is excellent. Some say not because it does not cover oil filter from flying rocks. Which cab be dealt with by filter cover.
Engine guards are excellent, but won't protect top part. I use separate tank bars for that.
I do not see point in rad guard because stock XC have deep honeycomb plastic guard, rather sufficient in my opinion.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote