User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #16066
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Registration and Insurance papers?

So where do you guys keep em on your Tigers? I just put my plate on today and got to thinking of this. I like to keep them some where permanent on the bike. Not in a tank bag or other removable luggage. The only thing I can think of is in a zip lock bag stuffed under the rear seat someplace.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #16067
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
So where do you guys keep em on your Tigers? I just put my plate on today and got to thinking of this. I like to keep them some where permanent on the bike. Not in a tank bag or other removable luggage. The only thing I can think of is in a zip lock bag stuffed under the rear seat someplace.
+1
That's what I do, and a copy in my wallet since that's always in my pocket as well.
Put the extra key in your backpack or hide on the bike somewhere. I find this difficult at best though, so I just make sure I have a spare along somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley
Well I should be ordering 2013 800 XC soon and I have a few questions.

Are the Triumph accessories any good? I'm thinking of ordering my 800 XC with these items.
Center Stand
Bash plate
Engine crash bars
Radiator guard.

For the money I think they are priced fine but not sure of their protection worthyness. I've been a motocrosser all my life and have no problems wanting to tackle some nice trails.

I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy and have no problem buying aftermarket bars/bash plate etc and installing them myself. I was just thinking it would be easier getting them at time of sale.

Thanks
Steve

The first three I got with my new one, highly recommended. The Altrider sump guard comes up a little higher but it's kind of moot. None of them are a true 'skid' or 'bash' plate. They are just mounted on rubber bumpers to the bottom of the engine. They're there to keep flying rocks from crashing into your engine. This is not a dirtbike.

The altrider tail rack is a good one, so is the CJ Designs one, I have the latter. A seahorse 720 as a topbox and backrest for the wife, although she hasn't spent much time on it.

My engine guards aren't on yet in this pic. Something heavier duty for handguards are also suggested if you're gonna dump it off pavement.

browneye screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 01:28 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #16068
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
In my opinion bash plate is excellent. Some say not because it does not cover oil filter from flying rocks. Which cab be dealt with by filter cover.
Engine guards are excellent, but won't protect top part. I use separate tank bars for that.
I do not see point in rad guard because stock XC have deep honeycomb plastic guard, rather sufficient in my opinion.
Why bother with a separate filter cover when plenty of other bash plates DO protect the filter ?

As for the guards, other bars (I have SW Motech) protect both the top and bottom.

As for OEM rad guard, it's better than nothing but barely - I have an R&G one fitted.

YMMV of course.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #16069
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Why bother with a separate filter cover when plenty of other bash plates DO protect the filter ?
Two reasons, for me.

#1 The Triumph sump guard allows easy access to the filter, is built well, and is not very expensive.
#2. The oil filter guard cost me $25.49. Pretty cheap. Should it ever get dinged up really bad, I can replace it easily enough.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #16070
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Two reasons, for me.

#1 The Triumph sump guard allows easy access to the filter, is built well, and is not very expensive.
#2. The oil filter guard cost me $25.49. Pretty cheap. Should it ever get dinged up really bad, I can replace it easily enough.
I have full access to the filter with my SW Motech guard and since it also covers the filter, it's pretty much fully protected.

Each to his own...YMMV.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #16071
Hulley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Thanks guys. I guess I'll skip the Rad guard. havent decided if I want the high crash bars or not, some look a bit bulky but protection is most important. I am planning on Bark Busters righ away. I'm only 5'8" so the chances of me dumping this off-road is pretty good.
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #16072
Hulley
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Great looking XC! thats pretty much what I invision mine to look like. Are those Pelican cases?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #16073
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
Great looking XC! thats pretty much what I invision mine to look like. Are those Pelican cases?
Seahorse SE720's. I salvaged them off my Versys when the Tiger came. They are half the price of plain pelican or storms, just a shade smaller and not quite as fancy. They do get the job done. Some guys are happy to shell out big bucks for hard cases but frankly, I'd rather have wolfman soft bags. Will probly end up with a set of them for more off pavement duty, the seahorses for road trips. The smaller size keeps you from packing too much shit.
Best prices here: www.casesbymasco.com

BTW, the prices for pelican and storms has really gone up. More than 20%. The 1550 and iM2600 are now $130 each. The Seahorses are still $49, making them a veritable bargain these days. I have about 5K miles traveling with them now and find them quite satisfactory. Still want some Wolfmans though.

From a recent weekend trip, 600 miles and just got home...lots of mud that trip. The driveway looked like a river delta on hose-down...

browneye screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 08:49 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #16074
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I have full access to the filter with my SW Motech guard and since it also covers the filter, it's pretty much fully protected.

Each to his own...YMMV.
You mean rivetted SW Motech plate? Oh, well...that one kinda sore spot.
I spent so much time bending SW Motech plates back to shape on bikes of my friends (both Tiger and Vstrom, at least 3 times each) and bolting pieces back together after drilling out remaining of those rivets... For my personal taste it is not sturdy enough because of major design flow concentrating force in wrong places with nothing to withstand it.
Triumph sump guard actually much smarter design-wise and more sturdy.
Saying that good sump guard covering filter probably exist. But I got Triumph one for free, so - no contest :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #16075
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
The seat base on the passenger seat has a cut out supposedly for the service manual. There's nothing to hold it in there but you can rig something up with cord or stick some Velcro in there.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #16076
Hulley
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Seahorse SE720's. I salvaged them off my Versys when the Tiger came. They are half the price of plain pelican or storms, just a shade smaller and not quite as fancy. They do get the job done. Some guys are happy to shell out big bucks for hard cases but frankly, I'd rather have wolfman soft bags. Will probly end up with a set of them for more off pavement duty, the seahorses for road trips. The smaller size keeps you from packing too much shit.
Best prices here: www.casesbymasco.com

BTW, the prices for pelican and storms has really gone up. More than 20%. The 1550 and iM2600 are now $130 each. The Seahorses are still $49, making them a veritable bargain these days. I have about 5K miles traveling with them now and find them quite satisfactory. Still want some Wolfmans though.

From a recent weekend trip, 600 miles and just got home...lots of mud that trip. The driveway looked like a river delta on hose-down...

'
Thanks Browneye, I'll keep this in mind when I start looking for bags.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #16077
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 121
Big Twin owner chimes in on his first Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I've been lurking this thread as I'm waiting for winter to break so I can go pick up my new 800XC. I've wondered about moving from my twin only existence to a triple. While I had a couple V4 Hondas back in the 80's, the rest of my riding has been limited to all types of twins. (Triumph Bonni, Harley, Duc 996, BMW, Buell, as well as a couple little race bikes that were twins...) I am curious if the triple will hit all the buttons with me. I didn't get a chance to test ride one of these so I was happy to see that a V-twin owner was happy to make the switch. I found the 1200RT BMW left me wishing it had more character from the engine. I did a thousand miles in 15 hours on that bike so it covered highway miles OK. But I never looked at that bike as nothing more than an appliance. I sold it a year ago and was thinking the triple 800XC might be the ticket for longer road rides to those big bike DS dirt rides I have been hearing about. Time will tell.

Chime in if you came from bikes with more character than civility and love your triple 800.
I figured I would chime in on my first ride on my new '13 Tiger 800XC. I picked it up this weekend when we finally didn't have heavy snow in the forecast. The temps were around 40 degrees F (4C). The sun was hidden behind gray overcast and it wasn't what I would call a great day to ride, but New Bike Syndrome had me feverish for a ride.

With layers of fleece under my Thor off road GoreTex suit (shopping for a DS suit) and my Bell Star full face, I pushed off from the dealer. I was wary of the engine speed required to pull out of the uphill drive as I let the clutch out. My thinking was it would require a lot more rpm than my big twins or even my KTM 350 to torque itself out of the drive. My BMW 1200RT had surprised me with a lack of bottom end torque the first time I let the clutch out. I wasn't going to let the Triumph stall here. I soon realized that the Triumph didn't require that type of clutch slippage to get moving. I started to understand the triple thing. Wow was this a great motor! I love the bottom end and can't wait to experience the top end rush once my break in is completed.

Lack of character was a fear I had but a little over a 100 miles later I can see why triples are unique and enjoyable. The frost heaves in the northern CT back roads were swallowed by the suspension and the heated grips kept my former frost bitten fingers from pain. I'm looking forward to warmer temps and sunshine.
2000 Ducati 996S - No reason
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #16078
D8ona
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I figured I would chime in on my first ride on my new '13 Tiger 800XC. I picked it up this weekend when we finally didn't have heavy snow in the forecast. The temps were around 40 degrees F (4C). The sun was hidden behind gray overcast and it wasn't what I would call a great day to ride, but New Bike Syndrome had me feverish for a ride.

With layers of fleece under my Thor off road GoreTex suit (shopping for a DS suit) and my Bell Star full face, I pushed off from the dealer. I was wary of the engine speed required to pull out of the uphill drive as I let the clutch out. My thinking was it would require a lot more rpm than my big twins or even my KTM 350 to torque itself out of the drive. My BMW 1200RT had surprised me with a lack of bottom end torque the first time I let the clutch out. I wasn't going to let the Triumph stall here. I soon realized that the Triumph didn't require that type of clutch slippage to get moving. I started to understand the triple thing. Wow was this a great motor! I love the bottom end and can't wait to experience the top end rush once my break in is completed.

Lack of character was a fear I had but a little over a 100 miles later I can see why triples are unique and enjoyable. The frost heaves in the northern CT back roads were swallowed by the suspension and the heated grips kept my former frost bitten fingers from pain. I'm looking forward to warmer temps and sunshine.
It gets better with miles..wait till you get 6k plus on it..theres more hp..my 800 just getting better and better..
D8ona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #16079
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by D8ona View Post
It gets better with miles..wait till you get 6k plus on it..theres more hp..my 800 just getting better and better..
Yes I agree, I have 10,000 on mine now love the triple that motor just seems to be getting better and better. Did a Day ride on Saturday 300km+ on the dirt and doing it with ease and just loving it

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #16080
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The seat base on the passenger seat has a cut out supposedly for the service manual. There's nothing to hold it in there but you can rig something up with cord or stick some Velcro in there.
the manual fits on the bottom of the rear seat just fine. you squeeze it between the tabs.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote