Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #16081
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
So where do you guys keep em on your Tigers? I just put my plate on today and got to thinking of this. I like to keep them some where permanent on the bike. Not in a tank bag or other removable luggage. The only thing I can think of is in a zip lock bag stuffed under the rear seat someplace.
I just keep my registration and insurance cards in my wallet. They take up practically no space, so not much point finding a secure place on the bike to keep them. Besides, if I do get pulled over, it's a lot easier to just pull out my wallet than to get off the bike and remove the seat. Keeps cops calmer too.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #16082
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I just keep my registration and insurance cards in my wallet. They take up practically no space, so not much point finding a secure place on the bike to keep them. Besides, if I do get pulled over, it's a lot easier to just pull out my wallet than to get off the bike and remove the seat. Keeps cops calmer too.

--mark
That works for one bike, but with four bikes between my wife and I and both of us jumping on any bike at any time, under the seats in a ziplock baggy work fine.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #16083
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
That works for one bike, but with four bikes between my wife and I and both of us jumping on any bike at any time, under the seats in a ziplock baggy work fine.
First world problems?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #16084
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Wolfman liners or semi-hard bags.

I went with the Wolfman bags on my bike but I didn't like the droopy sack look when they weren't packed. Since it's convenient to have the bags running errands I made a stiffer liner. The liner also protects the bag from any pointy objects I happen to throw in there.

I believe I bought the trashcans at Home Depot (if not try Lowes). They are Sterilite Swing Top, Base M, 11 Gal. /42 L, 1093 White. Why did I get white? Have you ever tried to find a black kitchen trash can? Besides the white really “lights” up the bottom of the bag.

Of course you end up recycling most of the “can” since I only used 12 inches off of the bottom. I did look at the office supply stores for a shorter can but the ones I found had too much of a flare from the base to the top.

Now I don’t know the tolerances between Wolfman bags but I was able to fit this in. It was tight but doable. You could drop me a line if you want all the excruciating details of where I made the cuts on them. I did luck out since the can came with a molded indentation. That enabled the cut edges to tuck in nicely. I secured the ends with some Velcro, hopefully the Velcro adhesive will hold up to the summer heat.

Wolfman wants you to run the saddle bags connected to each other. I have been running around with just the left bag attached. I just secured the 2" connecting strap with a zip tie to the back of the Wolfman mounting bracket.

It works but I want the bag mounted a little cleaner so I found some 2" parachute buckles (that's what they called them) at a local fabric store. I just need a longer piece of webbing (all they had was white) so the strap can wrap around the mounting bracket and snap together.

I think that will work just fine. The Wolfman bags are also mounted to the bracket at 4 other points. Surrounding straps clip into the mounting bracket. I zip tie those so they can't move around when the bag is empty.
Vzuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #16085
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
I went with the Wolfman bags on my bike but I didn't like the droopy sack look when they weren't packed. Since it's convenient to have the bags running errands I made a stiffer liner. The liner also protects the bag from any pointy objects I happen to throw in there.

I believe I bought the trashcans at Home Depot (if not try Lowes). They are Sterilite Swing Top, Base M, 11 Gal. /42 L, 1093 White. Why did I get white? Have you ever tried to find a black kitchen trash can? Besides the white really “lights” up the bottom of the bag.

Of course you end up recycling most of the “can” since I only used 12 inches off of the bottom. I did look at the office supply stores for a shorter can but the ones I found had too much of a flare from the base to the top.

Now I don’t know the tolerances between Wolfman bags but I was able to fit this in. It was tight but doable. You could drop me a line if you want all the excruciating details of where I made the cuts on them. I did luck out since the can came with a molded indentation. That enabled the cut edges to tuck in nicely. I secured the ends with some Velcro, hopefully the Velcro adhesive will hold up to the summer heat.

Wolfman wants you to run the saddle bags connected to each other. I have been running around with just the left bag attached. I just secured the 2" connecting strap with a zip tie to the back of the Wolfman mounting bracket.

It works but I want the bag mounted a little cleaner so I found some 2" parachute buckles (that's what they called them) at a local fabric store. I just need a longer piece of webbing (all they had was white) so the strap can wrap around the mounting bracket and snap together.

I think that will work just fine. The Wolfman bags are also mounted to the bracket at 4 other points. Surrounding straps clip into the mounting bracket. I zip tie those so they can't move around when the bag is empty.
other mounting options, trash can inserts, and talk about wolfman luggage...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656302
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=70
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=72
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #16086
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,920
Speaking of luggage, I'm having a hard time deciding between the wolfmans and the Happy Trail Mojave. for the same price, it sure seems like not having to deal with all the straps, and a bigger bag would be worth it, but I haven't been able to find too many people using them. Not sure why. It seems like a great option.

I already have wolfman racks on my bike, but I'm told the Happy Trail can be made to fit easy enough.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #16087
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Speaking of luggage, I'm having a hard time deciding between the wolfmans and the Happy Trail Mojave. for the same price, it sure seems like not having to deal with all the straps, and a bigger bag would be worth it, but I haven't been able to find too many people using them. Not sure why. It seems like a great option.

I already have wolfman racks on my bike, but I'm told the Happy Trail can be made to fit easy enough.
If you already have Wolfman racks then get a set of the Expedition bags. End of story. Or the new larger ones they just came out with.

If you want to run hard cases Wolfman now has universal mounting brackets for cases, you could then use a pair of Seahorse, Pelican, or Storm cases. The expedition bags are lighter and better for off-pavement anyway.

The HT bags are probly sewn by Wolfman (signature piping and trim) but are not waterproof. If that's not an issue then fine, but for just a few bucks it seems like it's worth it to be dust and water proof.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #16088
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

The HT bags are probly sewn by Wolfman (signature piping and trim) but are not waterproof. If that's not an issue then fine, but for just a few bucks it seems like it's worth it to be dust and water proof.
They have waterproof removable liners, which is arguably better than the wolfman expedition setup, and they're bigger. They're closer to the new Rocky Mountain than the Expedition in size & function. I'm considering all 3, just having a hard time deciding. Not having all the straps, and bolting to the rack with the HT pucks is pretty cool. Saving $200 compared to the Rocky Mountain for close to the same storage is also nice.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #16089
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
They have waterproof removable liners, which is arguably better than the wolfman expedition setup, and they're bigger. They're closer to the new Rocky Mountain than the Expedition in size & function. I'm considering all 3, just having a hard time deciding. Not having all the straps, and bolting to the rack with the HT pucks is pretty cool. Saving $200 compared to the Rocky Mountain for close to the same storage is also nice.
Then I'd look at them too. Need more info an pics. I'm looking for a soft-bag alternative for my HT racks.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #16090
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
search the equipment area. there has got to be a thread started...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #16091
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
First world problems?
Hey, whose whinging?
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #16092
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post

Great idea, what did you cut it with?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #16093
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Great idea, what did you cut it with?
Sent you a PM with pics of those Happy Trail Panniers.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #16094
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I just keep the registration and insurance cards for all three of my bikes in my wallet... but then I'm not sharing the bikes with anyone. So in that case, yeah, the underseat baggy makes sense.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #16095
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Sent you a PM with pics of those Happy Trail Panniers.
Mojave? Any thoughts on them?
1971 Lambretta DL