ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #16096
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I figured I would chime in on my first ride on my new '13 Tiger 800XC. I picked it up this weekend when we finally didn't have heavy snow in the forecast. The temps were around 40 degrees F (4C). The sun was hidden behind gray overcast and it wasn't what I would call a great day to ride, but New Bike Syndrome had me feverish for a ride.

With layers of fleece under my Thor off road GoreTex suit (shopping for a DS suit) and my Bell Star full face, I pushed off from the dealer. I was wary of the engine speed required to pull out of the uphill drive as I let the clutch out. My thinking was it would require a lot more rpm than my big twins or even my KTM 350 to torque itself out of the drive. My BMW 1200RT had surprised me with a lack of bottom end torque the first time I let the clutch out. I wasn't going to let the Triumph stall here. I soon realized that the Triumph didn't require that type of clutch slippage to get moving. I started to understand the triple thing. Wow was this a great motor! I love the bottom end and can't wait to experience the top end rush once my break in is completed.

Lack of character was a fear I had but a little over a 100 miles later I can see why triples are unique and enjoyable. The frost heaves in the northern CT back roads were swallowed by the suspension and the heated grips kept my former frost bitten fingers from pain. I'm looking forward to warmer temps and sunshine.
I think you got your bike the same place I got mine and yes, that exit is a little exciting on a new bike

Welcome to the Triumph brotherhood - you won't regret buying a Triumph

Just remember...once you go triple
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #16097
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Mojave? Any thoughts on them?
HT Teton hard bags left over from the Girlie Tiger. Thinking of selling them. I went with Wolfman Expeditions for this Tiger. Some detailed pics of the new Mojaves would be nice.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #16098
MK 2
n00b
 
MK 2's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: WI and NC
Oddometer: 5
Safari tank

Has anyone tried the 30 liter tank from safari tanks, if so how is the stand up riding and how durable as I see they used the space of the plastic tank protector for gas room. I wonder if there will be tank bars that protect it too.
They have a pic on their website of it and I am worried about stand up width of the tank as I am inseam challenged.
Safaritank.com
MK 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #16099
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK 2 View Post
Has anyone tried the 30 liter tank from safari tanks, if so how is the stand up riding and how durable as I see they used the space of the plastic tank protector for gas room. I wonder if there will be tank bars that protect it too.
They have a pic on their website of it and I am worried about stand up width of the tank as I am inseam challenged.
Safaritank.com
If you look at the pictures closely it seems that the total width shouldn't change much. It basically takes up all the extra plastic space and is probably a little taller.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #16100
dirt donkey
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: lala land, calif.
Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
Well I should be ordering 2013 800 XC soon and I have a few questions.

Are the Triumph accessories any good? I'm thinking of ordering my 800 XC with these items.
Center Stand
Bash plate
Engine crash bars
Radiator guard.

For the money I think they are priced fine but not sure of their protection worthyness. I've been a motocrosser all my life and have no problems wanting to tackle some nice trails.

I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy and have no problem buying aftermarket bars/bash plate etc and installing them myself. I was just thinking it would be easier getting them at time of sale.

Thanks
Steve
i put on the Altrider crash bars on the T800XC. The install was a bit of a pain, but with a 12" 3/8 extension it made the job much easier than sliding your hands infront of the radiator and twisting your wrist sideways and grabbing the nut(s) with the fingers. I ordered the SW Motech ones before and they were heavy and with the possibility of vibrations i sent them back. The tourtech engine guard was not bad but only covered the lower portion. Ordered the upper fairing guard and sent that back after doing a hold up to the bike and decide yes/no. the Alt rider Crash Guard should help out with damage to the side of the radiator. Center stand would be nice.

I just put on some Metzler Tourance tires (non exp) and i really like them compared to the BattleWanks. Subtle difference, but after 7,000 miles on the BW the Tourances feel 20% better over the OEM tires.
dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #16101
dirt donkey
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: lala land, calif.
Oddometer: 83
3D Mesh Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
What's the word on the seat? Anyone try it on the Tiger 800?
Thanks,
I just ordered the seat from proitalia it was on back order for 2 weeks and is now getting into production. Triumph went with some new 3d gel material since the old style got very hot from sitting in the sun. It lowers the height by 20mm (24mm=1") so it should be a good (necessary) upgrade for my lower stature.
dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #16102
dirt donkey
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: lala land, calif.
Oddometer: 83
3D Mesh Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
What's the word on the seat? Anyone try it on the Tiger 800?
Thanks,
I just ordered the seat from proitalia it was on back order for 2 weeks and is now getting into production. Triumph went with some new 3d gel material since the old style got very hot from sitting in the sun. It lowers the height by 20mm (24mm=1") so it should be a good (necessary) upgrade for my lower stature.
dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #16103
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 129
Which helmets are you riding with? Dual Sport, Full Face, or Mod??

Looking to get away from my garbage swap meet special helmet and deciding on which one i like the best. Tried the Neotech and liked it but not sure how it would be off road (20% off road) and the mod front. Buddy keeps telling me full face is the only way to go as all the new tech and better venting are with those. I am partial to the Arai G4 Dual Sport as i like the visor and it looks to have good venting or even the G3.
So i'm asking What are the Tiger riders running and why? I know this is a nnob question but real world experience from others is better than any test and even if i like it, might still be not good in other ways.
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #16104
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,842
I have an Arai XD-3 and a Shoei MultiTec. I use both depending on where I'm riding. Longer tours generally with the Shoei as the flip-front is super handy for breaks, drinking, eating, gas stops, and taking photos.

Short trips in the mountains here with lots of sun and shadows, I prefer the XD-3 because of the peak which means I can use a clear, non-tinted visor, and still have my eyes shaded nicely.

Next helmet will likely be a NeoTec, as the MultiTec is getting a bit old and quite scratched.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #16105
Charrito
Adventurer
 
Charrito's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 89
I'm using Icon Alliance helmets. Fit my head perfectly and are pretty light and well vented.
Charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #16106
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vzuke's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 143
Wolfmand liners or Semi-hard bags

Dubl-A

First I drilled a couple of holes about 2 inches from the bottom at the end of the vertical cuts to stop any possible cracking.

I did the majority of the cuts with a Dremel and a cutting wheel.

It's a fine line between cutting and scoring / rewelding melted plastic.

I rounded off the corners and did the two small angle cuts with a pair of scissors. That went rather well. I may try just using the scissors on the second liner. Maybe cut the curved surfaces with the Dremel and then do the straight sections with the scissors.

I also sanded the edges so they hopefully won't chafe the bags.
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #16107
BryanCO
CO Rider
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt donkey View Post
i put on the Altrider crash bars on the T800XC. The install was a bit of a pain, but with a 12" 3/8 extension it made the job much easier than sliding your hands infront of the radiator and twisting your wrist sideways and grabbing the nut(s) with the fingers. I ordered the SW Motech ones before and they were heavy and with the possibility of vibrations i sent them back. The tourtech engine guard was not bad but only covered the lower portion. Ordered the upper fairing guard and sent that back after doing a hold up to the bike and decide yes/no. the Alt rider Crash Guard should help out with damage to the side of the radiator.
These are next on my mod list. Where did you buy them?
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #16108
BryanCO
CO Rider
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
Looking to get away from my garbage swap meet special helmet and deciding on which one i like the best. Tried the Neotech and liked it but not sure how it would be off road (20% off road) and the mod front. Buddy keeps telling me full face is the only way to go as all the new tech and better venting are with those. I am partial to the Arai G4 Dual Sport as i like the visor and it looks to have good venting or even the G3.
So i'm asking What are the Tiger riders running and why? I know this is a nnob question but real world experience from others is better than any test and even if i like it, might still be not good in other ways.
Use either my Arai XD3 or Arai Corsair V. If going off road, will wear the XD3. If I was to have one helmet for road and light dirt, it would be the XD3 or 4.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #16109
59Steve
Adventurer
 
59Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Oxfordshire,England
Oddometer: 12
dont post much but changed my Speed for a Tiger Road..great bike



Outside old american base Upper Heyford,Oxfordshire





__________________
2012 Tiger 800. 2010 Scrambler.
59Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #16110
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt donkey View Post
I just put on some Metzler Tourance tires (non exp) and i really like them compared to the BattleWanks. Subtle difference, but after 7,000 miles on the BW the Tourances feel 20% better over the OEM tires.
They're really good tyre. OE on my Girlie and I kept fitting them for 48000 miles but after all those happy miles decided to try some Avons. The girlie gave 8K on a rear and 12K on a front.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 32000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014