ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #16126
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: San Jose CA
Oddometer: 151
I just did the HT side rack install today as well. I have the stock exhaust and my rack bolt/nut touches the exhaust pipe. I like your solution.

I was trying to put the rear plate on in preparation for the 43L trunk (which hasn't arrived yet) but the three M8 bolts they provide to attach the plate to the frame would not go into the pre-threaded inserts, let alone the M6 washer they tell you to use?! Maybe the powder coat is in the way and you just need to force the M8 bolts through?

How do you guys like your HT panniers?
__________________
2014 BMW R1200GSA
2013 Honda CB500X

vintagebob screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 02:05 PM
vintagebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #16127
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post
I just did the HT side rack install today as well. I have the stock exhaust and my rack bolt/nut touches the exhaust pipe. I like your solution.

I was trying to put the rear plate on in preparation for the 43L trunk (which hasn't arrived yet) but the three M6 bolts they provide to attach the plate to the frame would not go into the pre-threaded inserts, let alone the M8 washer they tell you to use?! Maybe the powder coat is in the way and you just need to force the M6 bolts through?

How do you guys like your HT panniers?

Are you talking about a top-plate/rack? They powder coated over threads? If so, yeah, chase them out with a tap. PC will fill in threads. When you PC a frame (which I don't/wont do for several reasons) you run sacrificial bolts into any threaded orfice to keep the paint out. Otherwise you break the bolts off on reassembly. BTW, when you say 'force them through', are you talking about binding threads? If so, no, don't force them, you'll break them off in the material. Not a pretty picture.

I run Seahorse plastic cases, much like Pelican or Storms. They are already too heavy, let alone metal or aluminum ones. JMHO.

I really don't like the way HT setup their racks to be the same width left as right to clear the can. But it's a good place for a tool tube, or a fuel or water pax. Otherwise they're super-duty strong and will protect the bike and especially the passenger pegs on a tip-over or lay-down.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #16128
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I run Seahorse plastic cases, much like Pelican or Storms. They are already too heavy, let alone metal or aluminum ones. JMHO.

I really don't like the way HT setup their racks to be the same width left as right to clear the can. But it's a good place for a tool tube, or a fuel or water pax. Otherwise they're super-duty strong and will protect the bike and especially the passenger pegs on a tip-over or lay-down.


bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #16129
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Damn, time to trade in
you could buy those plastic pieces...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #16130
spewler
Not (w)reckless
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Vail, AZ
Oddometer: 106
Anybody else have this problem?

Just inbound of the left footpeg is a threaded metal rod with a 14mm bolt on it. The other end of the rod is an Allen head just inside of the right footpeg. Long story short, when I was adjusting my gearshift lever I notice that rod turned freely, so I tightened it down. Anybody know the function of that rod and whether it is supposed to spin freely? I have the expanded manual and it isn't clear if it is an engine mounting boss or gearbox mounting bolt.
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (25,000 miles)
2001 Aprilia Futura (127,000+ miles)
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #16131
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Just inbound of the left footpeg is a threaded metal rod with a 14mm bolt on it. The other end of the rod is an Allen head just inside of the right footpeg. Long story short, when I was adjusting my gearshift lever I notice that rod turned freely, so I tightened it down. Anybody know the function of that rod and whether it is supposed to spin freely? I have the expanded manual and it isn't clear if it is an engine mounting boss or gearbox mounting bolt.
pic?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #16132
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 728
Aftermarket Exhaust

I am wondering if the aftermarket exhaust systems with out heat shields would cause a problem riding two up? Anyone have any experience with the LV or Scorpion? I'm guessing its not a problem but just need to take extra caution not to contact it.


Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #16133
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Just inbound of the left footpeg is a threaded metal rod with a 14mm bolt on it. The other end of the rod is an Allen head just inside of the right footpeg. Long story short, when I was adjusting my gearshift lever I notice that rod turned freely, so I tightened it down. Anybody know the function of that rod and whether it is supposed to spin freely? I have the expanded manual and it isn't clear if it is an engine mounting boss or gearbox mounting bolt.
Is it #4 on here? http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560041

Otherwise, use that site to find it on other pictures so that we can, maybe, give some advice.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #16134
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
I am wondering if the aftermarket exhaust systems with out heat shields would cause a problem riding two up? Anyone have any experience with the LV or Scorpion? I'm guessing its not a problem but just need to take extra caution not to contact it.


LV carbon - no problems at all.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #16135
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer
 
PVRnick's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: SE Pa
Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post


This is my next purchase now that the racks are on !
Nick
__________________
Keep your Knees in the Breeze
Nick
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #16136
spewler
Not (w)reckless
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Vail, AZ
Oddometer: 106
blacktiger, #4 is that part I'm talking about. Since the manual says torque it to 48nM, I tightened it down. It rode fine this morning, so I'm hoping I didn't screw anything up!
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (25,000 miles)
2001 Aprilia Futura (127,000+ miles)
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #16137
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
blacktiger, #4 is that part I'm talking about. Since the manual says torque it to 48nM, I tightened it down. It rode fine this morning, so I'm hoping I didn't screw anything up!
spewler, are you riding south on kolb towards I-10 in the afternoons?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #16138
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,466
For anyone that gets in a bind with their local dealer not having a part they need in stock I might suggest calling GO AZ motorcycles in Scottsdale, AZ - no association. http://www.goaz.com/ I needed a valve cover gasket and my local dealer didn't have one and I missed their ordering day so it was going to be about 2 weeks before I could get it. Bike Bandit would have been about the same.

Since I knew it would only be one day shipping from Scottsdale I talked to Victor at GO AZ and he told me he had one in stock and no problem shipping it to me for very reasonable shipping rate. He called back later when he went to grab the gasket from inventory and told me it wasn't there but he was expecting one in the next day. He called when that one was on its way to me. I ended up using the old on as I got impatient and my WR had a flat so I've got it for the next time I check the valves.

Anyway, long story but Victor was super helpful and not sure if they'd have any issues shipping out of AZ (don't see why) but I know some people get into a bind with OEM parts supply. Maybe this will help someone.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #16139
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
you could buy those plastic pieces...

Seeing as how much I love dealer plates, I HATE breaking new bikes in. I'll keep my oldie but goodie
__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #16140
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman
 
marloweluke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: East Kootenay
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
LV carbon - no problems at all.
Hi Bluesman,

I also have the LV carbon and don't find it gets too hot. Have you tried it with soft luggage touching the exhaust can? Just wondering if that might be a problem. I could put a heat shield on it, but would rather not.

Thanks....
__________________
WITHOUT RISK........THERE IS NO ADVENTURE
marloweluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014