Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #16156
Pa.Hangard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
It looks like the plastic plugs that you have to remove to mount the engine crash bars.
Look at the bottom of the motor there are 2 on each side that I had to remove to install the Holan crash bars.
They just thread in.
Honda CT70 (it started the addiction)
Kawasaki TrailBoss 100
Pa.Hangard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #16157
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Hi Bluesman,

I also have the LV carbon and don't find it gets too hot. Have you tried it with soft luggage touching the exhaust can? Just wondering if that might be a problem. I could put a heat shield on it, but would rather not.

Thanks....
No, in my case nothing touching (I made DYI pannier frames) but they as close as possible to exhaust - I tried to get luggage to be as narrow as possible.
I tried with 2 textile panniers, just throw-over but they rested on pannier frames, I use ex-Aprillia plastic panniers, and also on actual pannier frames I put cheapest available spiral plastic wrap - you know, one used for computer cables to be wrapped together and not be messy? Real cheap soft plastic, normally easily damaged by heat. No signs of any discoloration, heat deformation or anything. In fact I found LV to be running surprisingly low temp all the time. Lower, than I had on other bikes with carbon cans. I guess- good isolation by sound damping material and good seal off exhaust gases is the reason. And definitely cooler than stock exhaust heat shield.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #16158
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Hangard View Post
It looks like the plastic plugs that you have to remove to mount the engine crash bars.
Look at the bottom of the motor there are 2 on each side that I had to remove to install the Holan crash bars.
They just thread in.
I have the OEM engine bars. Maybe there are other mounting points that have theses plugs?

The head on the mushroom is about an inch across.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #16159
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

plastic plugs on underside of rear frame, where (I guess) Triumph luggage mounted?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #16160
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
plastic plugs on underside of rear frame, where (I guess) Triumph luggage mounted?
That would be my guess. Two on each side, facing down.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #16161
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
He says in another forum they are 25mm across. So not the frame rail luggage bungs. Anyway they are a flatter profile than the pictured item. They also screw in/out. This item is a push fit

For the life of me though I can't remember seeing that bung on the 800.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #16162
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

You right...

Oh guys you with your imperial inches! I always miss that.

And yes - rear ones are screw in, I remember now - when I took them out to mount tool tube.

Perhaps it has come out of garden chair left in garage?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #16163
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Newb with a Tiger

Great forum and great info. Just bought a '12 Tiger and couldn't be happier. A lot of great information on this thread and al the insight help me come to the conclusion that the Tiger would be my next bike.

Had a Uly for a couple years. It was a great bike, but the Tiger even makes these cold morning commutes to work fun!!

Again, thanks for all the "useful" info on this thread.

JS
ArmyDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #16164
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDOC View Post
Great forum and great info. Just bought a '12 Tiger and couldn't be happier. A lot of great information on this thread and al the insight help me come to the conclusion that the Tiger would be my next bike.

Had a Uly for a couple years. It was a great bike, but the Tiger even makes these cold morning commutes to work fun!!

Again, thanks for all the "useful" info on this thread.

JS

Welcome to the asylum.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #16165
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Hey guys, thought I'd post up a link here to a gel seat I'm selling. Made riding the Tiger long distances a breeze. I weigh 160 pounds.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869479
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #16166
mcridr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Rear Sprockets

Long time member but new (5 days) to the Tiger clan. I have noticed that the 800 is geared a little tall or should I say that the close ratio trans makes it appear that way. 1st could be a little lower. Anyone changing the rear to a tooth or two larger and if so what vendor are you using. Are you able to use the OEM chain with out removing a link? I realize that one on the front would be easier but that just moves the rear wheel back even further, close to the limit of the adjuster. I have read through the first 1000 pages with little or no answers to what I am looking for. Someone toss me a Bone.
Thanks from the "R" in Team MSR
mcridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #16167
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by orv View Post
Please step into my office so I can explain the long range effects of hearing loss due to not wearing ear protection.

With good ear protection all you hear is the working part of the engine. It's very sweet!
So my little disposable plugs rather suck. Do you have a suggestion for something that works?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #16168
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcridr View Post
Long time member but new (5 days) to the Tiger clan. I have noticed that the 800 is geared a little tall or should I say that the close ratio trans makes it appear that way. 1st could be a little lower. Anyone changing the rear to a tooth or two larger and if so what vendor are you using. Are you able to use the OEM chain with out removing a link? I realize that one on the front would be easier but that just moves the rear wheel back even further, close to the limit of the adjuster. I have read through the first 1000 pages with little or no answers to what I am looking for. Someone toss me a Bone.
Thanks from the "R" in Team MSR
I agree that first gear is a little tall, but not really a problem on the Roadie, could be on the XC. I find 6th gear a little short so personally I wouldn't lower the gearing for that reason. I know fbj913 has modified gearing with a custom rear sprocket which he has pics of somewhere in this thread. Not sure if anything aftermarket mass produced is available.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #16169
gusutavot800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
For those who didn't know Two Brothers just release a muffler for the T800 here is a link and dyne video from them....

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...ger-SO-13.html

I might pass of the Leo Vince and save some more $$$ and get this instead
Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #16170
DennyMyBoy
Hoping for a Tiger

Oddometer: 34
Any suggestions on a good Tiger 800 forum? I love this one, but curious about finding a forum specifically focused on this model.

There's one I found that seems to mostly draw from Great Britain. Being from the US, I'm more interested in one that draws from the US. Thanks.
DennyMyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote