Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #16156
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
I really don't like leaving my helmet out in the open. If I am concerned enough about its safety to lock it up. It needs to be in a case. Which is one of the reasons why I ponied up for the Triumph hard luggage.

Had the dual Givi on my KLR, which worked well, of course only ever needed to store a single helmet. The left case was large enough for the helmet, and the right my jacket. I did the asymmetrical thing on the KLR. With the SW-motec rack, it worked out almost perfectly, the out edges of the Givi bags where almosts an identacle from the centre of the bike.
Sorry, willtry to answer both questions from different authors in 1 post. I hate using phone for it.
As I stated plastc bag does perfect job agains rain. Or light waterproof bag. Or even packsafe bag.
As for top box. Let's see. Triumph top box is ubelievably heavy together wuth it's sliding base. And right on top of bike. Worst thing for handling and for offroad. But,
in fairness it's quite secure. Still,I would not trade handling for safety of top box and btw it only takes tyre iron to break in. Aftermarket platic top boxes can be broken into by one good hit with foot. Which is very well proved in Paris for example. But original question was for panners. I do not want to dissapoint , but even Triumph panners take one kick to break in or just take pannier off alltogether. Cable lock through opening and not D strap takes special tool to cut. Granted, wont stop pro. But it's still safer. Real valuables left on bike in dodgy places cant be really secure at all, but most secure is to lock them together by metal. This is my opinion based on my experience of course.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #16157
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,453
Quote:
I really don't like leaving my helmet out in the open. If I am concerned enough about its safety to lock it up. It needs to be in a case.
That's exactly how I had a helmet and most of my riding kit nicked years ago. Someone watches you load it all in there and when you're gone....it's gone!
If you run a cable lock through the grab handles and sit the helmet on the seat it keeps the rain out. I also use one of those Pacsafe netting things to lock up my riding kit. A bin liner keeps the rain out.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #16158
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That's exactly how I had a helmet and most of my riding kit nicked years ago. Someone watches you load it all in there and when you're gone....it's gone!
If you run a cable lock through the grab handles and sit the helmet on the seat it keeps the rain out. I also use one of those Pacsafe netting things to lock up my riding kit. A bin liner keeps the rain out.
Interesting, it would appear y'all are over in England?

Here in TX, in the suburbs, I have not had anyone do anything to my gear or bike, other than a few scratches from someone throwing a leg over my bike. Which I do take personally

And when I travel, most of the places where I go, you could probably leave your wallet on the gas tank, and if anything, someone would put it back on your tank if the wind blew it off.

Funny, I never really worried about some one breaking into the luggage, especially not for a sweaty helmet. Of course, did I mention I live in TX, most of the people who would steal a helmet, have no use for one ..... But I digress.

But now you've got me worried about leaving camera gear in there .....

YMMV
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #16159
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
BTW, sorry about your loss, I truly hope the asshats who stole your stuff catch the extremely drug resistant clap that is starting to appear in the Western world.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #16160
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Of course, did I mention I live in TX, most of the people who would steal a helmet, have no use for one ..... But I digress.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #16161
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Oddometer: 242
I have a question as I'm thinking of picking up a XC next week. As anyone remoted the ABS switch to the handlebar?
Tia Bob
2005 Klr 650
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #16162
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
I have a question as I'm thinking of picking up a XC next week. As anyone remoted the ABS switch to the handlebar?
Tia Bob
Not that I know of. Play with the ABS when you get your bike, most riders find it works very well, even off road, so don't bother turning it off. Too many people have been "trained" by really crappy BMW ABS systems off road, to the point they don't trust them. But the ABS systems on the Yamaha Super Tenere is actually very good off road, and while ours isn't quite as good as the Yamaha system, it's pretty damn good.

I've ridden stuff like this, and at first was kinda nervous about the ABS but after four days of this I totally forgot about it and just rode.

no not the ABSs fault

lots of steep rocky climbs
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #16163
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
Tia Bob
I agree with bross that the ABS is pretty darn good. But if you must make a handlebar switch, I believe some have modded the flash-to-pass button to cut power to the ABS fuse, deactivating it. It's not switchable per say, as you need to restart the bike to reactivate ABS.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #16164
gusutavot800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Exhaust mod

As I posted before, I went ahead and drilled out the muffler using a 2 1/8 hole saw, the whole job including removing the rear cover and the rack took about 10 minutes, I have yet to drive it as it was kind of late, here is a link to the video of the exhaust sound, I will report back once I take it out for a spin on the weekend, and might post another video with the bike outside the garage. Let me know what you think. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WmWa...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #16165
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Well, in my opinion...classic sound of drilled exhaust. Added high frequency and if you keep it on full trottle it will be "messy". Trust me, when you will put on your leovince it will be like night and day.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #16166
Couch_ninja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
2012 vs 2013 tiger 800 XC

Are there any significant differences between the two model years? is it worth saving $300 by getting a 2012 over a 2013? When was the stalling problem fixed? Don't want to save a few $$$$ only to have the bike in the shop more...
Couch_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #16167
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,536
The only difference is color options & the XC is now on the plastic not the tank
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #16168
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
The only difference is color options & the XC is now on the plastic not the tank

Damn, time to trade in
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #16169
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
What does that mean?
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #16170
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
What does that mean?
That the 'XC' symbol, which was part of the tank decal on the 2011-12 models, is instead molded into plastic pieces on the 2013 model.

Aesthetic difference only; no functional change.