Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #16171
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_ninja View Post
Are there any significant differences between the two model years? is it worth saving $300 by getting a 2012 over a 2013? When was the stalling problem fixed? Don't want to save a few $$$$ only to have the bike in the shop more...
Stalling problem was (mostly) fixed by a fuel map update, which applies to all Tiger 800s. No non-cosmetic changes between any year XCs.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #16172
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
That the 'XC' symbol, which was part of the tank decal on the 2011-12 models, is instead molded into plastic pieces on the 2013 model.
snip
Thanks Yossarian. I should visit the dealership .... but maybe I shouldn't ...maybe I should stay away from them
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #16173
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
Thanks Yossarian. I should visit the dealership .... but maybe I shouldn't ...maybe I should stay away from them
Yeah, if you want the gnarly green one it's going to be a 2013.
XCRider803 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #16174
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_ninja View Post
Are there any significant differences between the two model years? is it worth saving $300 by getting a 2012 over a 2013? When was the stalling problem fixed? Don't want to save a few $$$$ only to have the bike in the shop more...
That does not seem like much of a discount. My dealer offered close to a grand off it I would take a 2012 XC instead of the 13 roadie I purchased.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #16175
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

Is this the wife thinking ; "I just wish he'd turn off the frickin' ABS!".
Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #16176
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Is this the wife thinking ; "I just wish he'd turn off the frickin' ABS!".
Nah, this was right after her "little" crash. She was way ahead of me, chasing a KTM and a BMW F800 rider on her DR200 and having way too much fun. They were blasting up that steep climb and all was going well till a truck crested the ridge, Jodie moved over but she was following too close and couldn't see the trail for the dust. The KTM rider said she bounced back and forth off three baby head sized rocks before landing on her head in the ditch.

She was pretty rattled and said she saw stars, but was taking it like a trooper...

I wasn't even going to try to keep up with those guys. The KTM rider said "She was doing really well, until she hit all those rocks."
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #16177
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
That does not seem like much of a discount. My dealer offered close to a grand off it I would take a 2012 XC instead of the 13 roadie I purchased.
I agree... I saved $1200 by buying a 2012 BLACK 800 XC instead of a 2013 BLACK one!! Easy decision for me, the extra $1200 went towards gear and farkles.

For only $300 difference I would either shop elsewhere or buy the 2013...
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #16178
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Nah, this was right after her "little" crash. She was way ahead of me, chasing a KTM and a BMW F800 rider on her DR200 and having way too much fun. They were blasting up that steep climb and all was going well till a truck crested the ridge, Jodie moved over but she was following too close and couldn't see the trail for the dust. The KTM rider said she bounced back and forth off three baby head sized rocks before landing on her head in the ditch.

She was pretty rattled and said she saw stars, but was taking it like a trooper...

I wasn't even going to try to keep up with those guys. The KTM rider said "She was doing really well, until she hit all those rocks."
To paraphrase a Casey Stoner quote :- "Her ambition outweighed her talent". Glad she's OK.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #16179
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 171
Laugh HappyTrails / Leo Vince Fitment issue on 800XC

Hello Tiger Fans
I have been adding farkles to my new 800XC all winter and recently bought HappyTrails SU Rack for Crash protection and mounting bags in the future.
I had already added a LeoVince pipe which I like the looks and sound of !
Problem is the right side forward mount near the passenger peg did not fit due to the pipe. The LeoVince pipe is larger and closer to the frame so there is not sufficient room for the back half of the clamp behind the frame tube.
I have included some pics so you can see how I remedied the problem.
1st pic shows how close the pipe is to the frame.
Other pics show the adapter plate I fabricated to allow for the clamps to be mounted higher and above the pipe.

Everything fits nice and solid now and no interference anywhere.
Problem solved !

'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #16180
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRnick View Post
Other pics show the adapter plate I fabricated to allow for the clamps to be mounted higher and above the pipe.

Problem solved !

Put me on the list if you plan on making more of these please.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #16181
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRnick View Post
Hello Tiger Fans
I have been adding farkles to my new 800XC all winter and recently bought HappyTrails SU Rack for Crash protection and mounting bags in the future.
I had already added a LeoVince pipe which I like the looks and sound of !
Problem is the right side forward mount near the passenger peg did not fit due to the pipe. The LeoVince pipe is larger and closer to the frame so there is not sufficient room for the back half of the clamp behind the frame tube.

Problem solved !

This is absolutely brilliant. I'll be making one for mine and then get the Leo can back that I returned. Wow. I just didn't think of something this simple to fix the issue.

Thanks!!

browneye screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 09:55 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #16182
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I just did the HT side rack install today as well. I have the stock exhaust and my rack bolt/nut touches the exhaust pipe. I like your solution.

I was trying to put the rear plate on in preparation for the 43L trunk (which hasn't arrived yet) but the three M8 bolts they provide to attach the plate to the frame would not go into the pre-threaded inserts, let alone the M6 washer they tell you to use?! Maybe the powder coat is in the way and you just need to force the M8 bolts through?

How do you guys like your HT panniers?

vintagebob screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 01:05 PM
vintagebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #16183
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post
I just did the HT side rack install today as well. I have the stock exhaust and my rack bolt/nut touches the exhaust pipe. I like your solution.

I was trying to put the rear plate on in preparation for the 43L trunk (which hasn't arrived yet) but the three M6 bolts they provide to attach the plate to the frame would not go into the pre-threaded inserts, let alone the M8 washer they tell you to use?! Maybe the powder coat is in the way and you just need to force the M6 bolts through?

How do you guys like your HT panniers?

Are you talking about a top-plate/rack? They powder coated over threads? If so, yeah, chase them out with a tap. PC will fill in threads. When you PC a frame (which I don't/wont do for several reasons) you run sacrificial bolts into any threaded orfice to keep the paint out. Otherwise you break the bolts off on reassembly. BTW, when you say 'force them through', are you talking about binding threads? If so, no, don't force them, you'll break them off in the material. Not a pretty picture.

I run Seahorse plastic cases, much like Pelican or Storms. They are already too heavy, let alone metal or aluminum ones. JMHO.

I really don't like the way HT setup their racks to be the same width left as right to clear the can. But it's a good place for a tool tube, or a fuel or water pax. Otherwise they're super-duty strong and will protect the bike and especially the passenger pegs on a tip-over or lay-down.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #16184
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I run Seahorse plastic cases, much like Pelican or Storms. They are already too heavy, let alone metal or aluminum ones. JMHO.

I really don't like the way HT setup their racks to be the same width left as right to clear the can. But it's a good place for a tool tube, or a fuel or water pax. Otherwise they're super-duty strong and will protect the bike and especially the passenger pegs on a tip-over or lay-down.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #16185
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Damn, time to trade in
you could buy those plastic pieces...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote