ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #16231
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Two Brothers is only one step above D&D, as far as quality. You can do what you want, as it's your bike. But, I refused to sell them, when I used to run a parts dept. We had a mechanic, who had one on his 900RR, that agreed with me.

To be honest, I'm not impressed with LV's quality, either. They just don't age very well.

If you want something that'll last, look for full-stainless construction (or aluminum sleeved muffler, if you don't mind polishing/ titanium sleeve, if you don't mind Scotchbrite from time to time).
2 years ago I'd have agreed about LV.
But one I purchased for my Tiger in 2012 was incredibly well made and from proper materials. I have old LV in garage (one, that was desintegrated by attempt to use carbon can on 800 cc thumper) and it's day and night.
LV comes in aluminium and carbon BTW.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #16232
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
2 years ago I'd have agreed about LV.
But one I purchased for my Tiger in 2012 was incredibly well made and from proper materials. I have old LV in garage (one, that was desintegrated by attempt to use carbon can on 800 cc thumper) and it's day and night.
LV comes in aluminium and carbon BTW.

Just curious, what country are the LV made in?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #16233
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
some call me...tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Two Brothers is only one step above D&D, as far as quality. You can do what you want, as it's your bike. But, I refused to sell them, when I used to run a parts dept. We had a mechanic, who had one on his 900RR, that agreed with me.

To be honest, I'm not impressed with LV's quality, either. They just don't age very well.

If you want something that'll last, look for full-stainless construction (or aluminum sleeved muffler, if you don't mind polishing/ titanium sleeve, if you don't mind Scotchbrite from time to time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
2 years ago I'd have agreed about LV.
But one I purchased for my Tiger in 2012 was incredibly well made and from proper materials. I have old LV in garage (one, that was desintegrated by attempt to use carbon can on 800 cc thumper) and it's day and night.
LV comes in aluminium and carbon BTW.
On that same note, I have a Two Bros. exhaust on my SV. I'm not sure how old it is because it came with the bike, but it's held up fine (including a lowside from the previous owner) and still sounds great. It's SS and I'd warrant that it's ~10 yrs. old.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #16234
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
Any suggestions on a good Tiger 800 forum? I love this one, but curious about finding a forum specifically focused on this model.

There's one I found that seems to mostly draw from Great Britain. Being from the US, I'm more interested in one that draws from the US. Thanks.
BlackTiger posted a good site, the tiger800 one in the UK.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?action=forum

Don't worry about it being based in the UK. When I had my Honda CBF1000, the only forum for it was based in the UK with 99% of the members being UK and Europe based. There were in total, 12 Canadian members. Still all good info and for parts you can usually find a US importer etc.

I also liked the fact that the Australians had already figured out about the dusty stepper motor causing stalling and the answer *before* we could even buy our Tigers. UNI in Australia is also the ONLY source for the pre-filter which is a must have if you plan to ride in dusty conditions. I bought mine in the first group buy, and the second group buy just finished but there will be another one. Dirtmonkey8, managing the second buy bought a couple extras so you may still be able to grab one.

Read BurrenRiders and Tysons threads for prepping the Tiger for off-road.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701552
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #16235
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Just curious, what country are the LV made in?

Italy.

I had one, it's a nice piece. But it wouldn't fit on with the HT racks so I returned it. Now I want to get one again.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #16236
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Italy.

.
With the prices they sell at I had figured they farmed out the manufacturing to elsewhere.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #16237
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
With the prices they sell at I had figured they farmed out the manufacturing to elsewhere.
I don't think so. They are one of the few that actually sell their product at a fair price. I had one on my Versys too, was a very nice custom piece, an underbody design specifically for that bike and the ER6n. Even that one was just over $300

Another reason may just be their volume...they sell a LOT of mufflers. Some of the other brands are priced at just stupid. Not to knock anyone's Arrow, but that thing is way too quiet and costs way too much.

My parts guy sold me the aluminum LV for the Tiger for $235, all in.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #16238
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer
 
PVRnick's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: SE Pa
Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcridr View Post
Long time member but new (5 days) to the Tiger clan. I have noticed that the 800 is geared a little tall or should I say that the close ratio trans makes it appear that way. 1st could be a little lower. Anyone changing the rear to a tooth or two larger and if so what vendor are you using. Are you able to use the OEM chain with out removing a link? I realize that one on the front would be easier but that just moves the rear wheel back even further, close to the limit of the adjuster. I have read through the first 1000 pages with little or no answers to what I am looking for. Someone toss me a Bone.
Thanks from the "R" in Team MSR
I have heard some guys are putting a 15 tooth
c/s sprocket on for a lower 1st gear to help in the
Low speed, off road stuff . I want to try one myself and
I know JT Sprockets lists one in their catalog, but I
have not spent the time to locate one yet.
Hopefully Triumph will change the 1st gear ratio down a
little and the 6th gear ratio up a little sometime.
Hope this is helpful.
Nick
__________________
Keep your Knees in the Breeze
Nick
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #16239
Windy Rider
Pussy Power
 
Windy Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ulverstone, Tasmania
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRnick View Post
I have heard some guys are putting a 15 tooth
c/s sprocket on for a lower 1st gear to help in the
Low speed, off road stuff . I want to try one myself and
I know JT Sprockets lists one in their catalog, but I
have not spent the time to locate one yet.
Hopefully Triumph will change the 1st gear ratio down a
little and the 6th gear ratio up a little sometime.
Hope this is helpful.
Nick
I thought that I would do the same, then I had some one that I ride with pointed out to me, how much tight stuff did I do? Very little! So it's really up to what sort of riding that you are doing, but I still have given some thought to having a 15 tooth sprocket in my kit to change to for those days when you might want to go exploring a bit deeper! some of us take the Tiger places we shouldn't, including me!
I use my Tiger to commute to work every day so I didn't see to point in stuffing up my fuel economy to have it on there full time. I used to change the sprockets on my Dr650 to suit the riding I was doing
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger xc

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #16240
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
some call me...tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 265
I take it the CS is easier to take off on these bikes than others? I know some are notoriously difficult to get off, requiring cheater bars and/or pneumatic tools.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #16241
The Toad
Let There Be Light
 
The Toad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location.
Oddometer: 1,112
Baffle removal

With all the discussion about different exhausts, I'm wondering if anyone has removed the baffle from the stock exhaust?

Good? Bad?

-Brian
__________________
MondoMotos - LED Auxiliary Light Kits - Tusk Panniers
RoadRUNNER Magazine - Blog
Ride Reports - Four Corners - Amish Country - Costa Rica - Expedition Michigan (or not) - Tellico Plains
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #16242
jimjim
Just another FF!
 
jimjim's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: oHIo
Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
With all the discussion about different exhausts, I'm wondering if anyone has removed the baffle from the stock exhaust?

Good? Bad?

-Brian
Was your previous bike a Harley?

Seriously I took the baffle out of my Arrow to see what it was like, way too loud for me. YMMV
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #16243
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
I thought that I would do the same, then I had some one that I ride with pointed out to me, how much tight stuff did I do? Very little! So it's really up to what sort of riding that you are doing, but I still have given some thought to having a 15 tooth sprocket in my kit to change to for those days when you might want to go exploring a bit deeper! some of us take the Tiger places we shouldn't, including me!
I use my Tiger to commute to work every day so I didn't see to point in stuffing up my fuel economy to have it on there full time. I used to change the sprockets on my Dr650 to suit the riding I was doing
Indeed, it may not be worth doing it in your case. When comparing the 800XC with the 800GS and the KTM 950, the Tiger has the tallest first gear, but also the shortest 6th gear of this trio. You may bring down 1st (increase ratio), but it will cost you on the 6th, increasing its ratio even more than what it already is (above 1 to 1 as is).



I performed these calculations and graphed them based on official information from each respective manufacturer for each motorcycle.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #16244
The Toad
Let There Be Light
 
The Toad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location.
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Was your previous bike a Harley?

Seriously I took the baffle out of my Arrow to see what it was like, way too loud for me. YMMV
Its funny you say that.... I have owned more Japanese bikes than I can remember.. UNTIL ... I briefly crossed paths (trade) with a Sportster last summer.. at first it was "wow... this is too loud.. I dont want to be one of "those" guys"... after the summer was over and Sporty on too a new owner I did actually sorta miss the grumble... as much as I hate to admit it.. loud pipes do save lives...too some degree... I had little doubt that cagers knew I was in the area

I may pull the baffle (stock exhaust) just too see what happens..
__________________
MondoMotos - LED Auxiliary Light Kits - Tusk Panniers
RoadRUNNER Magazine - Blog
Ride Reports - Four Corners - Amish Country - Costa Rica - Expedition Michigan (or not) - Tellico Plains
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #16245
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
With all the discussion about different exhausts, I'm wondering if anyone has removed the baffle from the stock exhaust?

Good? Bad?

-Brian
Stock exhaust is semi-labyrinth. You cannot "remove baffle", you can only butcher it. Never in my life I heard this type of exhaust to sound good butchered in any way on any bike, so why bother
Or you mean optional Arrow?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014