Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #16351
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I did it on the test ride ...
If your dragging hard parts, your doing it wrong ! With proper suspension settings and body placement, the XC will corner amazingly well and never touch down. But it is not a RR1000.
Quote:
?.....the XC suspension is definitely better overall than the Roadie's
On a very tight twisty road with decreasing radiuses (radii?), off cambers and smooth pavement the Roadie kicks it. But as you said, "overall", the XC is much more pleasant to ride hard. The best thing about the 800's is the motor. It just loves to be wicked up to 7-8 grand or lugged around at 3-5 grand. .
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #16352
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Hm. My low seat is not gel and more comfy than stock. Interesting.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #16353
KACinPA
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Newbie here 2012 vs. 2013 question

Hi. My first post here at ADVRider, so forgive any faux pax please!

After a couple years of too many test rides, vacillation re-consideration and general confusion I decided the Tiger 800XC was the bike I want to buy.

Now, another quandary. Last weekend I was at the local Triumph dealer looking at what they had in stock. They had several bare naked 2013 800XCs (one in each color) as well as an Orange 2012, equipped with Triumph panniers, sump guard, engine guards, center stand and a MadStad windscreen. I had the salesman work up a 2013 with all of the equipment on the 2012 on the floor and the price came up $2,500 more than the price they had displayed, PLUS he said he was sure he could "Come up with an amazing offer" for the 2012 since the dealer wants it off the floor.

So the question is...Is there anything far and away better about the 2013 model that I would be giving up on the 2012?

Thanks!
KACinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #16354
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
The 2013 is identical mechanically to the 12. The only difference besides the colors is the Tiger graphic on the tank has changed. Go for the 12 if you like it!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #16355
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by KACinPA View Post

After a couple years of too many test rides, vacillation re-consideration and general confusion I decided the Tiger 800XC was the bike I want to buy.

Now, another quandary. Last weekend I was at the local Triumph dealer looking at what they had in stock. They had several bare naked 2013 800XCs (one in each color) as well as an Orange 2012, equipped with Triumph panniers, sump guard, engine guards, center stand and a MadStad windscreen. I had the salesman work up a 2013 with all of the equipment on the 2012 on the floor and the price came up $2,500 more than the price they had displayed, PLUS he said he was sure he could "Come up with an amazing offer" for the 2012 since the dealer wants it off the floor.

So the question is...Is there anything far and away better about the 2013 model that I would be giving up on the 2012?

Thanks!
There's no difference in the year model, but just make sure you really want all the extras that they're wanting you to pay for. I probably wouldn't want the factory panniers, but maybe you can get them for almost free.

Oh, and welcome to the asylum!
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #16356
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Welcome aboard. Go for the 2012 and enjoy. However, I agree, the factory paniers are rubbish. I have them and don't care for them, but maybe you'd feel differently.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #16357
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KACinPA View Post

Thanks!
Welcome nut house!

No real differences between 12's and 13's, if you're going be taking the XC off pavement much, I'd forget about the Triumph panniers. Haven't heard of any surviving a drop offroad.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #16358
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
That's ridiculous. BTW, you can look at the maintenance schedule in your manual and see what will be done. I inspected my valves a couple of weeks ago. Maybe a 4 hour job. Add a couple to that if any are out of spec.and at 12k miles most people, from what I have read, don't have any valves out of spec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My dealer says the same.
I hear this all the time, and especially when I owned my Honda. "It's a Honda, they're always in spec!" Yeah sure. How are you going to know unless you check em! My Honda CBF had 3 valves out of spec so yes required pulling the cams and replacing shims.

4 hours to check valves would be flying for me. It takes a couple hours just to remove plastic, tank, hoses, airbox, electrical just to get to the valve covers, and yes it is tight working in there. It took over an hour to simply check one valve on my Honda because of the limited working space.

I haven't done the valves on my Tiger yet but just did the valves on my wife's Street Triple. 2 valves were in spec, barely. Normally I would have pulled the cams and set them to the middle of the range but we had a ride coming up in a few days and I made the decision to just leave them till next time, but I'm almost positive they will need changing next time.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #16359
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I hear this all the time, and especially when I owned my Honda. "It's a Honda, they're always in spec!" Yeah sure. How are you going to know unless you check em! My Honda CBF had 3 valves out of spec so yes required pulling the cams and replacing shims.

4 hours to check valves would be flying for me. It takes a couple hours just to remove plastic, tank, hoses, airbox, electrical just to get to the valve covers, and yes it is tight working in there. It took over an hour to simply check one valve on my Honda because of the limited working space.

I haven't done the valves on my Tiger yet but just did the valves on my wife's Street Triple. 2 valves were in spec, barely. Normally I would have pulled the cams and set them to the middle of the range but we had a ride coming up in a few days and I made the decision to just leave them till next time, but I'm almost positive they will need changing next time.

It's not ridiculous to check your valves on schedule, I just think paying 10% of the cost of your motorcycle every year for one service is crazy. I realize some people either have no choice (aren't comfortable doing it themselves) or have enough disposable income that the cost is not relevant.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #16360
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
If your dragging hard parts, your doing it wrong ! With proper suspension settings and body placement, the XC will corner amazingly well and never touch down.
You know the corner - not checked
You know me - not checked
You've been there when it happened - not checked

Your comment isn't very helpful in that context. That never touch down is unfortunately plain not true. It's fairly easy to touch down with the Tiger. The Roadie is the bike with the least ground clearance (side ways) I have ever owned. That's why I raised the bike slightly.

A non-lowered XC is a little better, but due to the soft suspension it also touches down, and when it does it can be fairly ugly because it's mainly due to compression of the suspension over a bump or so. Easy to overdo because you get no early warning.

Personally I think a lowered XC is not a good idea. You combine the downsides of Roadie and XC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
But as you said, "overall", the XC is much more pleasant to ride hard.
I think the Roadie is more pleasant to "ride hard", while the XC is the more pleasant to at a more leisurely pace on twisty back roads. The softer suspension just makes it a little more unstable and that big front wheel isn't helping that much either. A Roadie with the price difference put into aftermarket suspension tuning will eat an XC in every on-road situation. Be that comfort, control, whatever. But for 80% of my typical riding the XC suspension would have been better if I had left it alone on the Roadie. Which I didn't ...

For what it is the XC is amazing fun on back roads - it speaks for itself that I touched down pegs on my first (and only) ride with an XC. That was after not even an hour on the bike, but granted - on my all time favorite road which I know like the back of my hand.

The biggest downside of the Tiger is the mushy brake. It's just not a "well defined" stopper. I heard different brake pads can make that better and would love to hear positive stories about that, but compared to other bikes I rode, it's certainly its biggest weakness. The gem of the package is, as you said, the engine. I can choose to ride my favorite mountain road completely in 3rd gear. Or can rip it going through first to third, really hammering it. It's a very easy to use engine that is fun in nearly ever part of the rev range. It's amazing that with a careful hand you can accelerate in 3rd out of a corner with just 1300rpm or so.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #16361
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I have about a 30" inseam, and just picked up my 800 last week. I'm up on my toes or the balls of my feet at best with the seat in the low position. Without changing links, etc..., is there some adjustment to the suspension? Will the bike 'settle' a little as it breaks in (~300mi on it now)?
It's what the pre-load is for. Conventional wisdom says that with rider on board the suspension should drop 1/3rd of total travel. On an XC that's 70mm and should bring the seat height down to around 800mm. If you cant cope with that with a 30" inseam there's something wrong with your Tailor's tape measure.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #16362
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Valve check and adjustment. But even that shouldn't drive the price that high.
You've rather over simplified it there. A chunk of the price comes from all the gaskets and O rings they replace when the valve cover comes off. + oil and air filters, etc. etc. etc.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #16363
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
You've rather over simplified it there. A chunk of the price comes from all the gaskets and O rings they replace when the valve cover comes off.
Not really oversimplified as those are penny articles sold for a lot of money. It's all about the bits and pieces that have to come off the bike to then require gasket / seal replacements.

I wish all manufacturers could get to decent valve adjustment intervals like Yamaha with the Super Tenere or even the little WR250X/R. It feels like we are living in the stone age of engine design here ... Worst is the BMW boxer with 6k check intervals, at least it's a quick job per side. Not certain whether the new one is still like that.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #16364
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Not really oversimplified as those are penny articles sold for a lot of money. It's all about the bits and pieces that have to come off the bike to then require gasket / seal replacements.

I wish all manufacturers could get to decent valve adjustment intervals like Yamaha with the Super Tenere or even the little WR250X/R. It feels like we are living in the stone age of engine design here ... Worst is the BMW boxer with 6k check intervals, at least it's a quick job per side. Not certain whether the new one is still like that.
My beef is why can't they build a moto engine with hydraulic valves? I loved my Kawasaki Meanstreak with hydraulic valves and shaft drive. Maintenance entailed oil and tire changes. It's not like we require high revving top end power in a Tiger or pretty much any street bike, give me a strong bottom end with lots of mid range and hydraulic valves.

Buell did it with the Uly, I just wish someone else would.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #16365
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
I cannot even imagine dragging the pegs on my XC!!!
Yes it is very possible to drag the pegs, but you have to be really hooking to do it. I have done it twice in twelve months, scared the shit out of me. You have to have the right type of corner do do it, the first time was with road tyres and the second time was with nobbies on and loaded up with 20kg of luggage, but it was on a very tight corner and I was really going for it.

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote