User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #16411
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 171
Thumb

That will work! I have made a lot of brackets with a hacksaw, file and a hammer and a vice. Takes a little more effort but you can do it.

Nick
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #16412
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Nice solution- too bad you had to come up with it yourself.

I contacted HT about the fit when I put their racks on my XC w/ Arrow can last summer and hit the same problem. The reply, from a customer service standpoint, was less than pathetic. Basically they said they'd look at it if I rode it to them, but otherwise they were verrry sorrry.

If anyone's on the fence, I really couldn't recommend the setup for a Tiger.
The nut on my HT rack was contacting the stock exhaust pipe. I had to cut off an 1/8" from each clamp and each bolt. That fixed it. I'm lucky that we have a shop at work and someone who knows how to use it.

vintagebob screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 01:16 PM
vintagebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #16413
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
Awesome, got a link to where you got the piece of plastic?

That is a great idea, and would love to do the same mod to my bike.

TIA.
It is the Acerbis "Universal" mudflap. Got mine off ebay.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #16414
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
It is the Acerbis "Universal" mudflap. Got mine off ebay.
I attached a piece of rubber stair tread I picked up at Lowes ($1.00) with Velcro.

Been working well for 13k miles. I know, it's kinda KLResk.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #16415
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,194
Extra bracket for HT racks over muffler inlet pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRnick View Post
That will work! I have made a lot of brackets with a hacksaw, file and a hammer and a vice. Takes a little more effort but you can do it.

Nick
Picked up a piece of 3/16X3" T6061 I will form and drill to create a bracket. Pics following...
Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #16416
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
I attached a piece of rubber stair tread I picked up at Lowes ($1.00) with Velcro.

Been working well for 13k miles. I know, it's kinda KLResk.

Thanks for this excellent idea.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #16417
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
My Mudflap

thought I would share my homemade mud guard. Made it out of an old floormat. Tig'r was much better than Winnie for the Tiger....

ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #16418
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

PVRNick HT Bracket

So PVRNick's bracket for the HT racks is brilliant. I picked up a piece of T6061 about a foot long in 3/16" X 3", for $3 at the local metal surplus. Was easy to pop it a few times with a big balLpene hammer and a piece of wood to get the right bend in it.

I cut mine to follow the frame tube but I may still trim it back some and paint it black. Sure is hell for stout though and now there's tons of room for any headpipe.

FANTASTIC! THANKS SO MUCH FOR A GREAT IDEA!!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #16419
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

What worries me when I see such installations is that, with the boxes installed, now you have substantial leverage to bend the frame in case you crash the bike. The Triumph OEM cases are attached so that they detach themselves before transferring the impact. Perhaps it depends on the bag you chose or how they get attached to the rack I believe Pelican cases have a quick disconnect. Anyone any thoughts?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #16420
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Anyone any thoughts?
Yep. I wouldn't want to ride with that. But again, very likely just me again.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #16421
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
What worries me when I see such installations is that, with the boxes installed, now you have substantial leverage to bend the frame in case you crash the bike. The Triumph OEM cases are attached so that they detach themselves before transferring the impact. Perhaps it depends on the bag you chose or how they get attached to the rack I believe Pelican cases have a quick disconnect. Anyone any thoughts?
Why not modify the original to be used with round or flat heads from the back with the nut on the top?? My carribou pelican setup looks like it will shear on a heavy impact but holds up on a drop for the bags.
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #16422
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

1. From a strength standpoint, it's no different that the stock location of the rack attach point. Nor is it any different from dumping the bike over on the passenger footpeg - either side. If you crash your bike hard enough to bend the frame, then you've bent the frame.
2. There isn't room for any kind of backing plate in that location because that's where the headpipe to the muffler passes. A LV can header is within a quarter inch of the frame bar.
3. It will work just fine for hanging the panniers, and now can live with an aftermarket exhaust can.
4. Yes, it's a crappy original design from Happy Trails, Inc. This mod makes it work on the bike.
5. You don't like it, don't buy HT racks.

Geez guys, don't over think it.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #16423
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Anyone any thoughts?
I'm in the market for a rack and bags -- been looking them all.

What I have observed is this... All racks mount at the top edge in the factory locations. Then their are two mounts down low -- the rear is a cross brace and the forward one attaches to the passenger peg extension from the frame. For this issue/question - I think the forward mounting point is questionable.

The HT frame uses a clamp mount about mid-way up the passenger peg extension. The mod discussed here places the impact load higher up the extension to the frame.

Many other designs mount to the far bottom of the passenger peg extension and I would guess offers a higher "lever" force on that assembly with an impact load on the pannier and rack.

My personal conclusion is that the HT mount is a superior design in that regard (the ugly rear brace not withstanding). The mod only improves the crash worthiness.

Since many of these panniers are mounted with pucks (vs the Carribu's break away mount), perhaps a solution would be to use "break away" bolt hardware on the clamp.

Thought?
ttime4four is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #16424
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
My thought is the same as browneye. You guys are over thinking it. I have not decided on side cases yet so I like the discussion on such. What I am not worried about is what might break if I drop the bike or crash. You know the saying "something's gotta give". And I'll deal with it when or IF it does.

So here is what I did to my T800 tonight. I was going to drop the fifty bucks for that fancy Twisted Throttle ram mount gps holder bracket thingy. Well almost anyway. But just couldn't get past the fifty some dollar part of it. So I bought a five dollar ram ball with 6mm threaded stud. I drilled and tapped a hole in the windshield bracket. Added some loctite and screw in ram ball. Took a little less than 15 minutes. Didn't even remove the shield. I put it off to the left side in case I ever want to add another I'll put it on the right side.

Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #16425
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
My thought is the same as browneye. You guys are over thinking it. I have not decided on side cases yet so I like the discussion on such. What I am not worried about is what might break if I drop the bike or crash. You know the saying "something's gotta give". And I'll deal with it when or IF it does.

So here is what I did to my T800 tonight. I was going to drop the fifty bucks for that fancy Twisted Throttle ram mount gps holder bracket thingy. Well almost anyway. But just couldn't get past the fifty some dollar part of it. So I bought a five dollar ram ball with 6mm threaded stud. I drilled and tapped a hole in the windshield bracket. Added some loctite and screw in ram ball. Took a little less than 15 minutes. Didn't even remove the shield. I put it off to the left side in case I ever want to add another I'll put it on the right side.

Nice! I'm still using the $14 ram mount ball that goes in the handlebar clamp. One for each bike, pass the gps around. But then I've got the old and small 60cs. I wired into the park lamp for switched power. Works stellar, quick and dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four
The HT frame uses a clamp mount about mid-way up the passenger peg extension. The mod discussed here places the impact load higher up the extension to the frame.

Many other designs mount to the far bottom of the passenger peg extension and I would guess offers a higher "lever" force on that assembly with an impact load on the pannier and rack.

My personal conclusion is that the HT mount is a superior design in that regard (the ugly rear brace not withstanding). The mod only improves the crash worthiness.
My take is the HT racks are the strongest as well, will grant you that. From that standpoint they are good protection for a laydown. And yes, moving the front attach point up improves, not detracts from its strength. I can pick the bike up with the right rack frame with the bracket installed, it's as strong as without it. And why I'm keeping them instead of trading off for something else at this point. I'll fill the left side with tool tube or water/fuel pax.

If you all are worried about your foot peg brackets breaking and bending the sub, then cut them off half-way and insert a sacraficial connector, aluminum tube or similar, pinned on both sides. That way if it gets hit hard enough they'll break away without injuring the entire subframe.

There are plenty of other worries if you build up in prep for a laydown, like the brake lever, shifter, tank, rad, bars, etc.