Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #16441
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Air filter, valve check, etc... can be done without removing fuel tank. Unbolt it and swing it up. Support it from above.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #16442
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Air filter, valve check, etc... can be done without removing fuel tank. Unbolt it and swing it up. Support it from above.
As easy as it is to remove why not just remove it? I can't imagine trying to check the valve clearance without removing the tank.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #16443
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddySump View Post
Video I made to show removal of fuel tank

Tiger 800 - Fuel tank removal

Hope it can help people.
Got my 6k service due soon so will try to film as much as I can.
Great, thanks!

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #16444
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
As easy as it is to remove why not just remove it? I can't imagine trying to check the valve clearance without removing the tank.
Same reason not to remove the airbox when doing a valve check. One more step, one more step, etc... it all adds up. The tilted tank doesn't get in the way at all when checking valves.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #16445
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The tilted tank doesn't get in the way at all when checking valves.
You must be a midget. Do you sit on the airbox whilst you're doing it?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #16446
unibrau
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm not sure if this should go here, but I'm at a dilemma. I recently sold my R6 so I can fund a more touring friendly bike(400-600) mile days. I test drove a tiger 800 at the end of last season and loved it, but I wanted to test a few more bikes before I pulled the trigger. Well I made a mistake and stopped back at that dealer and of course they are having a blowout sale of 2012's. They have one tiger left for $8500.
I now have to either go for it because it will be gone in a few days or pass so I can test other bikes when the salt is off the roads. The other bikes include-
Ducati hyperstrada, Ktm 990 SMT, GS800, and possibly street triple(I know, I know).

I apologize for the wall of text! My main question being...What the hell do I do? haha and is that a price thats too good to pass up?
unibrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #16447
killbilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibrau View Post
I'm not sure if this should go here, but I'm at a dilemma. I recently sold my R6 so I can fund a more touring friendly bike(400-600) mile days. I test drove a tiger 800 at the end of last season and loved it, but I wanted to test a few more bikes before I pulled the trigger. Well I made a mistake and stopped back at that dealer and of course they are having a blowout sale of 2012's. They have one tiger left for $8500.
I now have to either go for it because it will be gone in a few days or pass so I can test other bikes when the salt is off the roads. The other bikes include-
Ducati hyperstrada, Ktm 990 SMT, GS800, and possibly street triple(I know, I know).

I apologize for the wall of text! My main question being...What the hell do I do? haha and is that a price thats too good to pass up?
$8500 for a brand new Tiger? Is that a 1050SE or is that a Tiger 800 or an 800 XC?
killbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #16448
unibrau
n00b

Oddometer: 7
just the standard 800 tiger. I think I could get him down a couple hundred from that.
unibrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #16449
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:

If you've never owned a Triumph triple, I'd go for it. They are one of the best motors in a bike currently, bar none and to get into one for that price is great. The only other bike in your list that I personally would even consider would be the Ducati. KTMs are fun bikes with very good suspension but they are maintenance whores and have had a few niggling problems. I wouldn't go near a BMW F800. They have major fuel pump, injector issues, as well as bearing failures, stator failures... Plus the F800 motor is quite buzzy and down on power compared to the Tiger motor. Post a pic of your new bike. :wink
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #16450
T

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
$8500 for a brand new Tiger? Is that a 1050SE or is that a Tiger 800 or an 800 XC?
Quote:
just the standard 800 tiger. I think I could get him down a couple hundred from that.
$8500? An excellent price...even for a used low mileage 800 in tip top shape.

And as Bross said; there's nothing like the smooth balance and delivery of a triple.

I know it's market based, but I would love to see Triumph develop a 400-500 cc triple in a sub 300lb. dual sport/dirt package. Wouldn't that be sweet.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #16451
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
You must be a midget. Do you sit on the airbox whilst you're doing it?
It's extremely complicated, you wouldn't understand.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #16452
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddysump View Post
video i made to show removal of fuel tank

tiger 800 - fuel tank removal

hope it can help people.
Got my 6k service due soon so will try to film as much as i can.
+1
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #16453
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:

I think you should go for it.

After owning an R6, you'll be smitten with the triple engine.

Of the bikes you've listed, two have 17", 120/180 wheel setup. From experience, that'll severely limit the adventure side of things. At least, with the Roadie's 19" front wheel and narrower tires, you'll have ADV tire options. Three of those options are considerably more expensive to purchase and maintain. The STriple is a great bike. But, its 120/180 tires would sway me over to the Roadie. If you're not ever going to do trackdays and favor comfort over outright performance, the Roadie is a better choice. Long-term, I think you'll be happier. YMMV.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #16454
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 173
Tiger

BUY IT NOW !!!!!!

That is a Smokin' hot Deal !
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #16455
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

$8,500 That is a heck of a good deal. Just keep in mind that the Tiger 800 is not a sportbike. It can be ridden quite hard if you hang off the bike and aftermarket suspension helps a great deal. If you're a regular knee-dragger with your R6 however you will find the Tiger limiting. For myself dragging a peg here and there is a good reminder that I am riding on public roads and should probably tone it down a little.