ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #16531
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,878
Enough ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #16532
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,878
Or more precise, this might help:

cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #16533
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: NE Georgia
Oddometer: 316
So about 125 mph. That's fast enough!
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #16534
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TxLoneRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
So as of now, day 2 of ownership, I wish I had held off on the purchase. During the past few weeks I've followed the news reports and ADVrider thread regarding the Honda CB1100. I'm right in the demographic that Honda is aiming for -- 50 years old, grew up on Honda, always admired the CB750, and during the 1980's had a few smaller 4 cylinder Hondas. Then 2 GL's, then the ST. As soon as I pulled in the garage last night and stepped back from the Tiger, I just began to feel buyers remorse.
From my experience, the bike that fits the ride, will get more use.

At one point I had a '98 Thunderbird Sport, '01 VFR800 and a '99 KLR650.

The KLR, was slow and ugly, the other 2 bikes where fast (ish, okay a '99 ZX9r and '03 FJR1300 are my benchmarks) and pretty.

But I always rode the KLR, it had luggage, it was comfortable, and got the job done. Yeah, the VFR was decent, but for my knees, the KLR ruled!! And yeah, I had a Sargent seat on the KLR.

So, the only real complaint I had with the KLR was the suspension and engine. So, sold all three and got a Tiger 800XC. With the seat in the upper position, I am good for 600-700 mile days in perfect comfort.

So, as I much as I agree, the new CB1000 is a sexy beast. The Tiger with luggage would not be replaced by it.

For me, the CB1100 would be good for 30-100 mile runs, the Tiger will get my arse to Alaska and back in comfort.

So it just depends on what riding you intend to do.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the TBS, even get to see it once in a while, a friend bought it, but, I've got single bike that works for what I want to do.

In your position, I would keep the Tiger for a little while, and just see if you fall in love with it. The Tiger is the 4th triple I've owned, in fact I put 26,000 miles on a '01 Sprint ST, before it was taken away from me in its prime. And after break-in, you might be surprised how much you love it.

Let us know what you decide to do. But, in any case, ride safe.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #16535
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel
 
XCRider803's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte area
Oddometer: 895
Cb1100

I've had my fair share of in line fours, all Hondas except my present FJR1300. My T800XC blows me away every time I get on it, the fours are just buzzy. I would stay with the triple until you get it broke in and a good feel for the smooth power and acceleration it has. It also opens up roads you would just turn around on if you were on the CB1100.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #16536
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman
 
marloweluke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: East Kootenay
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
110/80-19? How tight do they fit at the rear? I have some clearance concerns since the shop glued in the fender extender and it's awfully close to the tire (the original 100/90-19 Scorpion).
I'm on my second rear for the PR3. Fitment on the front is not a problem, and the tire is awesome. One thing I did notice is that my Garmin GPS indicates about 8 km/hour less then the speedometer does. Anyone else have that issue, or is it just that the circumference of the PR3 is smaller? The same GPS in my truck indicates almost identical with the truck speedometer. Are the GPS units considered to be fairly reliable speed wise?
__________________
WITHOUT RISK........THERE IS NO ADVENTURE
marloweluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #16537
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
some call me...tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 279
Speedo's usually register a higher speed than actual, the GPS should be the correct speed. Sounds perfectly normal to me, regardless of tire.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #16538
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman
 
marloweluke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: East Kootenay
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post

In your position, I would keep the Tiger for a little while, and just see if you fall in love with it. The Tiger is the 4th triple I've owned, in fact I put 26,000 miles on a '01 Sprint ST, before it was taken away from me in its prime. And after break-in, you might be surprised how much you love it.

Let us know what you decide to do. But, in any case, ride safe.
I feel your buyer's remorse, but I have to agree with TxLoneRider. Try the bike for a while. I never understood the nostalgia thing. The memories you make with a bike is what counts. I have no desire to ride a bike that looks like something I rode 30 years ago. I had a 1985 Honda 750 Nighthawk S that I bought new, shipped to Europe and rode over there, honeymooned on it, got my first knee down on it, etc. Lots of memories and a great bike, but I wouldn't want it back again. I have a Tiger 800 to make new memories with, and that is what counts to me. The bike is just a tool to make those memories with. YMMV. I think once you ride the Tiger you'll like it and love it. Having said that if you're really sure you don't want the Tiger better to trade it while you have almost no mileage on it. All the best with a tough decision.
__________________
WITHOUT RISK........THERE IS NO ADVENTURE
marloweluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #16539
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman
 
marloweluke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: East Kootenay
Oddometer: 149
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Speedo's usually register a higher speed than actual, the GPS should be the correct speed. Sounds perfectly normal to me, regardless of tire.
Thanks, good to know. Should help a little to keep speeding tickets to a minimum.
__________________
WITHOUT RISK........THERE IS NO ADVENTURE
marloweluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #16540
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TxLoneRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I feel your buyer's remorse, but I have to agree with TxLoneRider. Try the bike for a while. I never understood the nostalgia thing. The memories you make with a bike is what counts. I have no desire to ride a bike that looks like something I rode 30 years ago. I had a 1985 Honda 750 Nighthawk S that I bought new, shipped to Europe and rode over there, honeymooned on it, got my first knee down on it, etc. Lots of memories and a great bike, but I wouldn't want it back again. I have a Tiger 800 to make new memories with, and that is what counts to me. The bike is just a tool to make those memories with. YMMV. I think once you ride the Tiger you'll like it and love it. Having said that if you're really sure you don't want the Tiger better to trade it while you have almost no mileage on it. All the best with a tough decision.
Very well said Marloweluke!

Yeah, for me the VFR800 was a complete nostalgia purchase. When I had the 01' Sprint ST, a friend had a '00 VFR800, and another friend had an '01. I rode the '00 back to back with the Sprint ST, and had fond memories. So 9'ish years later I had the opportunity to get the VFR800 that I thought I wanted, in the year or 2 I owned it I put under 1000 miles on it, while 12,000+ miles on the KLR, go figure.

cheers,
tom
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #16541
orv
Busted butt
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: CO
Oddometer: 443
Maybe you are in a rut and Like it!

Been riding my 12 800 XC. I have a Honda Blackbird and a BMW K1200 LT. My wife used to ride with me on the LT. She now doesn't. It sits. The Blackbird is still a thrill a second, but it sits. I ride the XC. There is not a single road the other two have taken me down that the XC won't also take. There are a bunch of roads the XC will take the others wouldn't survive on. When I had KLR's, and GS's they got ridden; the others sat. I like Hondas a bunch, but if you strip away the hype, IMO the new/old CB1100 is a clunker. An antique with very low miles.

But then, that must be something you enjoy. I'd make the swap immediately, just know that you are giving up a very special bike with a very special motor that could have taken you to places you apparently haven't even dreamed about. Some think a bike is about adventure. Some don't.

Without expecting an answer, I'll still ask: Why the hell did you buy the XC????

Ride what you like; whatever it may be.

orv screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 10:13 PM
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #16542
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead Cycle View Post
So about 125 mph. That's fast enough!
Told ya ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #16543
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ducken's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Oddometer: 107
Sargent Seat for the Tiger 800

Just a heads up for those who care, I received an e-mail from Sargent today. The Sargent seat for the Tiger 800 and 800XC is going to be available for order starting Monday the 8th. The e-mail is not clear, at least to me, if the seat is available to everyone on Monday, or only to those who pre-registered with Sargent. It does state that the pre-registration is good for fifty bucks off the final price, making a Sargent for the Tiger roughly $500 instead of $550. Two options of height, regular and low, just like the Triumph accessory seats, and two options of fabric, CarbonFX, or Duratex. Apparently Duratex is a new grippy fabric I personally haven't seen yet. It (the website) doesn't say anything about if you can just buy the riders seat and keep the stock passenger seat. It does say that the Sargent seat is adjustable for two heights just like the stock Triumph riders seat.

No affiliation with Sargent, just a fan of Sargent. I have the Triumph Low Gel accessory seat, but fully planned on buying the Sargent as soon as it was available. I have Sargent seats on every one of my bikes, but I'm having a little sticker shock. $500! Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #16544
ssevy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Adirondacks
Oddometer: 900
I sat on the new Honda at the NYC show, and told the Honda Rep that they had better bring boatloads over, as I think it will sell like hotcakes. Really a beautiful execution, like the Bonnies are for Triumph. Guys our age (50 and up) remember these fondly, and for the most part, are at the point in our life where we have the cash to buy a new one (as opposed to that same 350 Honda that everyone in town owned at one time or another as their first bike until they sold it and moved on). For a weekend around town relaxed ride, the new 1100 is perfect, but the limited fuel range make it pretty impractical for any real long distance stuff.
Precisely because I am "at that age", I prefer long multiday trips, and as many miles as I can squeeze into whatever available time I have left on this earth. My old CD550 Four was a barge compared to my Triumph Legend, and I wouldn't go back for a minute, nostalgia or not.
While the adventure bike styling is not very appealing to me aesthetically, I can appreciate them for what they offer as long distance riding machines, and that is why I follow this thread and the Explorer thread to stay up on what is happening.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #16545
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I sat on the new Honda at the NYC show, and told the Honda Rep that they had better bring boatloads over, as I think it will sell like hotcakes. Really a beautiful execution, like the Bonnies are for Triumph. Guys our age (50 and up) remember these fondly, and for the most part, are at the point in our life where we have the cash to buy a new one (as opposed to that same 350 Honda that everyone in town owned at one time or another as their first bike until they sold it and moved on). For a weekend around town relaxed ride, the new 1100 is perfect, but the limited fuel range make it pretty impractical for any real long distance stuff.
Precisely because I am "at that age", I prefer long multiday trips, and as many miles as I can squeeze into whatever available time I have left on this earth. My old CD550 Four was a barge compared to my Triumph Legend, and I wouldn't go back for a minute, nostalgia or not.
While the adventure bike styling is not very appealing to me aesthetically, I can appreciate them for what they offer as long distance riding machines, and that is why I follow this thread and the Explorer thread to stay up on what is happening.
what honda?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015