Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #16531
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker View Post
Any help from the collective would be appreciated. New, ~300 miles, xc got hungry and ate a screw that came out of the back half of he chain guide, munched on the cs sprocket guard and chewed a hole in the rubber coolant hose immediately in front of the cs sprocket. 500 mile service scheduled for next Saturday the 6th but it looks like I'll be trailering it there 150 miles and having a 300 mile service instead of 500. Should I be requesting a new cs sprocket and chain? Any thing else?

Thanks for any advice and loctite is your friend!
It's obvious (to us!!) that it's either an oversight on assembly or poor PDI. Probably both. I would hope that anything that has been damaged by this will be replaced FOC, including chain and sprockets.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #16532
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Eh? Errant bolt

Wow, I would also want to make sure there is a note on this on record. I, personally, would be reasonably worried about a premature failure of the counter shaft bearing, wheel bearings, or possibly even the engine castings.

Having the nut jam in the chain at the counter shaft sprockets could create large amounts of stress in the bearing and castings in the area ???

no??
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #16533
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 105
I can't say what caused my chain to derail around the 18,000 mile mark, but it punched a 1"x1" hole in my crankcase that I sealed with a 1" square piece of aluminum and JBWeld. I now have 36,000 miles on it without any leaking or reliability issues. I wish, however, that somebody would make a metal countersprocket cover that would prevent that from happening. The one from Touratech looks nice (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventu...from-Touratech), but it doesn't protect the crankcase from a thrown chain, just from "outside" debris.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #16534
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
I can't say what caused my chain to derail around the 18,000 mile mark, but it punched a 1"x1" hole in my crankcase that I sealed with a 1" square piece of aluminum and JBWeld. I now have 36,000 miles on it without any leaking or reliability issues. I wish, however, that somebody would make a metal countersprocket cover that would prevent that from happening. The one from Touratech looks nice (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventu...from-Touratech), but it doesn't protect the crankcase from a thrown chain, just from "outside" debris.
Same thing happened on my son's KTM, but it took out the slave clutch cylinder along with a piece of the case. $2300 later and asking about a guard/cover to prevent that. Oh yeah we sell those, $33! grrrrrr
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #16535
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 152
Spewler,

You need a case saver. I bought one from this fabricator for my WR. If you contact him he may be able to make one for the XC. Could be a new market for him. http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1...parts-for-sale

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #16536
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Thanks riverman!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #16537
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Thanks riverman!
If you get in touch with that guy: I'd take one, too. Had one for the WR and really liked the quality of that whole assembly.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #16538
spewler
Not (w)reckless

The manufacturer has had several requests already. His biggest problem is he doesn't have a Tiger to work with. He said he'll look into it, but made no promises.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #16539
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Lowering the muffler to make room for luggage.

Do any of the after market exhaust systems do this? I can't bring myself to do hard luggage that makes my bike almost as wide as a car. Seems like a world of options open up if that muffler was relocated. BTW, I'm not into loud.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #16540
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Do any of the after market exhaust systems do this? I can't bring myself to do hard luggage that makes my bike almost as wide as a car. Seems like a world of options open up if that muffler was relocated. BTW, I'm not into loud.
No low pipes. And all of the aftermarket cans are within an inch or so in width of the stock one.

Even the wide luggage systems aren't much wider than the bars. The XC bars are 36-1/2", and even the widest of the wide luggage are about another inch and a half on each side. It's kind of a non-issue.

For soft laggage the Wolfman setups are one of the best. Other soft bags can be adapted to the various rack systems offered.

Sorry, this really needs to go in the pannier thread.

Bottom line? Don't make it too complicated.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #16541
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
No low pipes. And all of the aftermarket cans are within an inch or so in width of the stock one.
No, they are not. I know at least two that are MUCH closer in than the OEM exhaust.

I have a Fuel Midi in Stainless Steel on my 800:

This is with the Jesse racks pulled in about an inch already and there would be enough space for another 1.5 to 2 inches. I was initially planning on setting up a Touratech 2x38L balanced system with that exhaust, but then backed out because of overall pricing vs. space. Would have worked though and when buying the racks/cases directly from Germany they aren't as crazy expensive as they are in the US, even including shipping.

Then there is the Zard. Check out this:

http://www.tigerhome.de/index.php?sh...dpost&p=213970

Photo from that post directly here:

According to the guy who made the modification above, the system is 38.5" wide. When you use narrower cases (the Traxx are 11" each) you can safe about another 4 to 6 inches or so.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #16542
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Good info there Cug. I like the bottom one there, only with narrower cases. Problem is I can't understand a word they're sayin'!

Something the same or less width than the bars would be ideal in my mind. And strong enough to survive a tip over.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #16543
cug
--

Quote:
Good info there Cug. I like the bottom one there, only with narrower cases. Problem is I can't understand a word they're sayin'!
It's a Zard Penta exhaust and the rack is a home-optimized rack system.

I can translate if you want to know anything in particular.

Quote:
Something the same or less width than the bars would be ideal in my mind. And strong enough to survive a tip over.
My system (the Jesse setup seen above) is one inch wider than the handguards at the widest point if I recall correctly. I think my Roadie is ~36" at the handguards and the Jesse luggage is 37". Might be half an inch off or so.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #16544
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Oxford Heated Grips

So I finally got round to fitting my Oxford heated grips and I'm trying to find some inspiration on where to fit the controller. The little bracket that comes with the grips is not doing it for me. Anybody fitted these grips and if so, where did you fit the controller - pics would be great.

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #16545
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It's a Zard Penta exhaust and the rack is a home-optimized rack system.

I can translate if you want to know anything in particular.
That's a nice looking exhaust. Isn't 500 euro about $750 USD???