Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #16651
brooklyn slim
nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Yeah. Some are really bad:

1) It gets dirty too fast.
2) I have to fill that stupid gas tank every few days.
3) It never gave me trouble so no reason to take it apart ...
4) Seems that during the night it chews on its tires, these then need to be replaced.
5) It also scratches on its nuts and bolts and now and then you should look them over and retighten, using blue loctite.

Other than the above, it hurts my wallet because I want to make it "just perfect". And I'm on the way of doing so. When it is I bet my wife will claim it ...
Wait, you mean you have to fill the gas tank?? Oh, that's a deal breaker....
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #16652
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDOC View Post
Instead of paying $300 for the 500 mile service, I did the oil change myself.

Is there a way to reset the Service Indicator Symbol (have it go off) other than taking it to the dealer, as described in the Owner's Manual (p.29)??

Thanks in advance.

John
Have never touched mine in 5K miles. I just ignore it. First oil change at 250, again about every couple of thousand.
I'll do the required maintenance on schedule, just won't bother with the service indicator.

I bought mine and rode it away from the dealer with 7 miles on it, it's never been back.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #16653
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Have never touched mine in 5K miles. I just ignore it. First oil change at 250, again about every couple of thousand.
I'll do the required maintenance on schedule, just won't bother with the service indicator.

I bought mine and rode it away from the dealer with 7 miles on it, it's never been back.
That's good to know. I am a little paranoid about every noise I hear coming from the bike. I can't be sure what I was hearing today but I rode during lunch and got the RPM's up in 1st thru 3rd gears and as I approached a red light I just let off the gas and let it slow itself down.

It was difficult to tell but it almost sounds like like some weak-a$$ backfiring (from the front of the bike, engine area), but that could have been the helmet blocking the sound.

Again, just paranoid that I will have to pay for any work that would normally be covered by warranty...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #16654
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
That's good to know. I am a little paranoid about every noise I hear coming from the bike. I can't be sure what I was hearing today but I rode during lunch and got the RPM's up in 1st thru 3rd gears and as I approached a red light I just let off the gas and let it slow itself down.

It was difficult to tell but it almost sounds like like some weak-a$$ backfiring (from the front of the bike, engine area), but that could have been the helmet blocking the sound.

Again, just paranoid that I will have to pay for any work that would normally be covered by warranty...
Relax and enjoy. They are solid bikes.

There is a noticeable decel burble, also normal. I imagine that would be accentuated with an aftermarket muffler.

The motor whines from straight-but cam gears...or so I'm told. They click and whir, all kinds of weird sounds emminate. When you fire them up cold they are not a real quiet motor. Powerful yes, quiet no. Wear ear plugs.

Keep the revs under 6K for the first thousand, then let 'er rip. Change the first oil out early, then every few thousand. I would not go 6K miles, rather about half the OCI.

Repair incidence/failures on this bike are extremely low.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #16655
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
straight-but cam gears, oh my

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #16656
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Quote:

There is a noticeable decel burble, also normal. I imagine that would be accentuated with an aftermarket muffler.

The motor whines from straight-but cam gears...or so I'm told. They click and whir, all kinds of weird sounds emminate. When you fire them up cold they are not a real quiet motor. Powerful yes, quiet no. Wear ear plugs.

Keep the revs under 6K for the first thousand, then let 'er rip. Change the first oil out early, then every few thousand. I would not go 6K miles, rather about half the OCI.

Repair incidence/failures on this bike are extremely low.
Again, thank you, that is great info to know and puts my mind at ease (a little). I'll just keep ridining!!
Now, if I could just afford to farkle the heck out of it...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #16657
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 940
Quote:

The motor whines from straight-but cam gears...or so I'm told.
Mine has this sweet whistle right around 5K RPM's. The sweet spot, quick jump with a crack of the throttle and a good bit of motor breaking to. Maybe that's why I'm only getting 37ish MPG

I also get a weird chugging sound if I idle in neutra

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #16658
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

150 miles

I took a short 150 mile trip this past sunday to Natural Bridge State Park (Slade, Ky) and realized that the Tiger is the best purchase I have made in many, many years. Maybe dating back to college (buying condoms!!).

I do think risers are needed but not sure what height would help.

Also, I added a HOLAN 38L Topcase so, throwing my leg over is out of the question. Do you guys think it's okay to step on the foot-peg and step over the seat. I'm not sure if the kick-stand can hold my 200 lbs continuously putting all my weight on it.

I have considered a center-stand but have seen posts about people who love and hate them??
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #16659
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I'll take it that these are not sold in the US??
They'll post worldwide.

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #16660
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
....Also, I added a HOLAN 38L Topcase so, throwing my leg over is out of the question....
Really? Is it mounted on the rear rack or the pillion seat? I'm thinking about getting the GlobeScout case, which will probably have the same footprint. Right now, I sometimes use the OEM 50L case mounted on the rear rack, and, being as far back as it is, have never had an issue with it getting in the way of me mounting the bike. I assumed a hard top case would be in more or less the same position and not in the way.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #16661
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 171
The Whine is from the straight cut Primary Gears, not the
Cam Gears. The cam is chain driven .
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #16662
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Really? Is it mounted on the rear rack or the pillion seat? I'm thinking about getting the GlobeScout case, which will probably have the same footprint. Right now, I sometimes use the OEM 50L case mounted on the rear rack, and, being as far back as it is, have never had an issue with it getting in the way of me mounting the bike. I assumed a hard top case would be in more or less the same position and not in the way.
It's not totally in the way. I'm just not as flexible as I once was. I am 6'1" and enjoyed just kicking my foot over. Now stepping on the foot-peg was like a light-bulb turning on the first time I did. Way easier to mount the kitty.

You probably won't have an issue. Mine sits pretty far back. It's mounted on the rear rack. Again, Long legs + stiff joints= using the foot-peg.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #16663
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Triumph Triple Whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
straight-but cam gears, oh my
I may have misspoken...
I found this on a search: Straight cut primary gears. (crankshaft to clutch basket)
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #16664
brooklyn slim
nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer: 2,494
From the replies to armydoc, it looks like several owners feel entirely comfortable with their T800's reliability.

Any dissenting opinions? Any known issues, like BMW final drive problems, or Wee Strom ugliness?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #16665
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn slim View Post
From the replies to armydoc, it looks like several owners feel entirely comfortable with their T800's reliability.

Any dissenting opinions? Any known issues, like BMW final drive problems, or Wee Strom ugliness?
My wife and I are on our fourth modern Triumph. We sold our Bonneville and Scrambler and she now rides a Street Triple R and I have my Tiger 800XC. All the Triumphs have been completely reliable, even more so than the Honda CBF1000 I traded in on the Tiger. That was the least reliable *vehicle*, not just bike I've ever owned. I would say the Triumphs are as reliable as any Japanese bike. Last thing I would worry about.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote