Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #16666
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
The DL feels much more top heavy. The tiger is better balanced in every regard. I really liked my DL650, but I fookin' love my tiger.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #16667
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thoughts??

So any thoughts on Risers and Center Stands??
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #16668
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDOC View Post
I've put XC risers on my Roadie and like it. Note that the handle bars are also different so it's not a 1:1 thing between the two. I have tried Rox and overall I plain like the XC risers better. Ever so slight forward lean helps my back on long rides.

I also to have a center stand. I don't like the Triumph one very much but I doubt that SW Motech or H&B are any better.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #16669
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
^^ what Cug said.

Both bikes I have (TE630 and XC) there are a lot of owners that set the bars taller. At 5-10 I get by with them stock. There are certain times when it feels like taller would be better, but in rough going you just hunch down anyway. Put some miles on it and then decide.

I also rolled my tiger bars all the way up to the last line on the bars. It puts me in attack mode, is better standing up and once your muscles adapt it's comfortable for long haul. I ride one handed on the freeway a lot to relax, and I like to stop for breaks.

The centerstand is a pita, it clanks occasionally in rough going, and it's kinda hard to put the bike up on it. However I wouldn't own an adventure bike that you couldn't service in the field and it's perfect for that so I think it's a must have. The oem one works just fine, it's just a pita.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #16670
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Again, thanks for the input. I'm definitely going with the risers first. The center stand will probably be purchased later on.

I've really enjoyed riding this bike all winter. I hate (seriously hate) cold weather and rode with the temps down in the teens and highs in the 20's... that's love!!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #16671
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
The XC bars feel a lot different compared to the roadie. They're wider too. There have been a at least a couple of riders that just could never get comfortable, one had back aches, and sold their bikes. Maybe they had back trouble before they bought the bike.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #16672
M5Charlie
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wink NuBee needs a little help on a bike.

Ok, I know this has been has been asked a million times, so lets make it a million and one. I was thinking about getting the Tiger 800xc or the Explorer/xc. 800xc is more nimble, better on gas and lighter. The explorer has great horse power and would probably be better on the freeway. %90 of my rides will be on paved roads, but I would love to get a little dirty. Besides price, what are your experiences and or suggestions? Please stay on topic, no pissing matches.

Thanks in advance,
M5Charlie
San Jose, Ca
M5Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #16673
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn slim View Post
From the replies to armydoc, it looks like several owners feel entirely comfortable with their T800's reliability.

Any dissenting opinions? Any known issues, like BMW final drive problems, or Wee Strom ugliness?
In four days, it will have been exactly two years since I picked up my XC from the dealership. I've put nearly 33,000 miles on it in the meantime with exactly zero problems. It hasn't even needed a valve adjustment. Awesome bike.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #16674
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
I've got the SW Motech risers on my XC, and they help. I didn't need them so much for the seated position, but for standing I was too hunched over without them (I'm 6'4"). I also have the bars rotated up, so the grips are more elevated than in the stock position.

As for the center stand... I don't even consider that optional equipment. It should come stock on all adventure bikes. It's absolutely indispensable for tire and chain maintenance, especially on a trip. The Triumph one for the XC works fine; it takes a little effort to get the bike up on it, but I find that stepping down on the lever while lifting on the passenger peg bracket works well.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #16675
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
In four days, it will have been exactly two years since I picked up my XC from the dealership. I've put nearly 33,000 miles on it in the meantime with exactly zero problems. It hasn't even needed a valve adjustment. Awesome bike.

--mark
That's good to know. I'm no mechanic, but I can pretty much figure anything out. Are you just following the owner's manual for "DO IT YOURSELF" maintainance and is there anything I should give special attention to??

I've only owned one other bike, Buell ULY, and it was a very simple bike to maintain.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #16676
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Got an email from Amazon today. CruzTools RoadTech M3 is on sale for $57. The EU Speedkit is $26. Is it worth replacing the OEM kit with either?
http://cruztools.com/products/kitsmetric.html

Anyone know if the M3 roll will fit in a Tool Tube?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #16677
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
So, while I don't expect the Triumph to be on a par with the the DL in terms of dependability,
Triumph is almost on a par with Honda when it comes to reliability. You'll find loads with over 50000 miles with very few problems on the way. Just check out my sig. below.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #16678
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Do you guys think it's okay to step on the foot-peg and step over the seat. I'm not sure if the kick-stand can hold my 200 lbs continuously putting all my weight on it.
Plenty strong enough. It's what I do when I've got luggage on board.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #16679
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
I know that new Triumphs are nothing like the old ones in terms of build quality. I also know that I got very used to my Suzuki's absolute reliability. Indestructible. And I'm too old for headaches.

So, while I don't expect the Triumph to be on a par with the the DL in terms of dependability, I'm wondering how much of a tradeoff there'll be. My local dealer has a questionable rep, and the guy who's gonna let me test the bike (from whom I'll buy and whose service dept I'll use, for that reason, ) is a little over an hour away.
Go work in a big-4 dealership and you'll see plenty of cases where Japanese stuff isn't "all that". I can tell you, Suzuki's warranty coverage is the worst of the Japanese manufacturers. They don't want to pay for anything.

Buy your Triumph, with complete confidence.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #16680
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The XC bars feel a lot different compared to the roadie. They're wider too. There have been a at least a couple of riders that just could never get comfortable, one had back aches, and sold their bikes. Maybe they had back trouble before they bought the bike.
I've said all along that the bars are too straight to be comfortable. They made my hands go numb because of the angle they set my wrists at. So I changed them for some Rentals with more sweep. Pt# 615-01. (WARNING :- it's not a straight swap as I needed to design and have made some clamps to suit) Perfect, all day comfort now.
I believe that either TEX or R1200GS bars will also do the job and are the same diameter as the OE bars.