Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #16711
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
.... very comfortable compared with my SV650 (with aftermarket suspension) but i have to move more on the seat in order not to scrape ....,
The Roadie's ground clearance is one of the lowest I've ever had (a Harley included)... consider suspension risers (shorter dog bones) for the rear - it has mostly solved my scraping issues.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #16712
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
I'm kinda surprised by the numbers who say they have issues with various bits scraping on the 800. The only thing I can think of is that there is too little rear preload. I have mine at 15 clicks out and never an issue, and the tyres are used right to the shoulder.

Could preload, or lack of, be the problem?
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #16713
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
I'm kinda surprised by the numbers who say they have issues with various bits scraping on the 800. The only thing I can think of is that there is too little rear preload. I have mine at 15 clicks out and never an issue, and the tyres are used right to the shoulder.

Since *BMW found through research that 95% of riders haven't a clue how to set their suspension*, the answer is probably yes.

* the reason they developed their ESA suspension system.

blacktiger screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 03:07 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #16714
cug
--

Oddometer: 5,030
The answer in my case is "no, it has nothing to do with preload". But it has a lot to do with the suspension being compressed through a bump or speed and the available lean angle being very small.

I have no idea how you guys ride your bikes (probably on better roads) but I have no trouble scraping pegs on the standard Roadie or the XC. Never had that issue when I was alone on one of my Beemers.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #16715
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I have no idea how you guys ride your bikes (probably on better roads) but I have no trouble scraping pegs on the standard Roadie or the XC. Never had that issue when I was alone on one of my Beemers.
Has to be the tiger motor.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #16716
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 176
Need stiffer springs ?
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #16717
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Has to be the tiger motor.
Actually, you're pretty close I guess. The engine is very wide at the lower parts. Also the foot pegs are super long compared to the ones on the beemers. They stick out much further because they have to because the bike itself is not narrow.

There are few things contributing to the fact that these bikes touch down very easily.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #16718
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRnick View Post
Need stiffer springs ?
Not really. I'm very light. And I think Snapper isn't heavy either. It has to do with limited lean angle (if I recall the calculation I made correctly, it's about 36 degrees or so), which is driven by long, low mounted foot pegs, with a wide engine, plus a suspension that isn't really all too well thought out.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #16719
wspllrll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Tiger 800 XC wheel nut size

What are the Sizes of the front and rear nut sizes?

27 MM rear and 18 MM front?
wspllrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #16720
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post

It's definitely not just the preload. I've tried upping preload and that is not a cure. In the end I went with Traxxion Dynamic Penske rear shock and their AK-20 fully adjustable forks. I haven't ridden the bike hard yet with this set-up as the roads are still recovering from winter. With the rear shock in with the correct sag at 58mm and an extra 15mm ride height on the adjustable shock I have still scraped the pegs and I hang off like a monkey. Hopefully the new forks will either eliminate the issue or reduce it to a non-issue. It took some money, but now the bike is sorted.

BTW, I'm not heavy at 175 lbs.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #16721
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspllrll View Post
What are the Sizes of the front and rear nut sizes?

27 MM rear and 18 MM front?

I believe, 27mm nut on the rear and 17mm hex key on the front.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #16722
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Went for a great ride yesterday - beautiful sunny day but cold.

Before:

During:

After:

Great day
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #16723
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
The answer in my case is "no, it has nothing to do with preload". But it has a lot to do with the suspension being compressed through a bump or speed and the available lean angle being very small.

Quote:
Not really. I'm very light. And I think Snapper isn't heavy either. It has to do with limited lean angle (if I recall the calculation I made correctly, it's about 36 degrees or so), which is driven by long, low mounted foot pegs, with a wide engine, plus a suspension that isn't really all too well thought out.
Yeah I'm 150 lbs in my birthday suit - call it 165 with riding gear and tankbag. I had an R1100S and R1150GS before the Tiger and like Cug, never touched down on those. I initially cranked pre-load to 40-60% to reduce the scraping problem but the rear became jarringly uncomfortable for my weight until Cug pointed the Lust Racing 1/2" risers on the UK forum. That's mostly solved the problem and I'm now dialed back to ~30% preload, which comfortably feels and an even match to the front shocks, in terms of compliance, for my weight. Now it's just mid corner dips that may bottom me out.

It's not just the pegs - my sidestand kill switch plunger has sheered clean off when I bottomed once (replaced under warranty). Not sure if the engine/peg width is the problem so much as engine height/ground clearance - my previous Harley XR1200 was significantly wider down low and felt like it didn't touch down quite as often (manufacturer spec was 39/40 degree lean angle, L/R).

Having said all that, I'll admit to being an extreme tight technical twist rider that tries to average 5-10 good corners per mile on my favorite routes. I do like to get a cheek off the seat, but have never dragged a knee. HERE'S a typical set of tires off my previous Harley - and don't underestimate this bike, it was one of the funnest corner carving bikes I've ever owned - certainly slower, but the locomotive torque was pure bliss in a corner (complete POS in terms of build quality though).

Always wanted to try Ohlins / suspension mods, but I just can't justify 20+% the cost of bike - maybe one day. Anyways, I'm now happy with the Tiger's stock suspension with the risers installed.

I love this bike, 21k in as many months, and no problems.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #16724
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Always wanted to try Ohlins / suspension mods, but I just can't justify 20+% the cost of bike
Me neither. Other than it was ~10k less than trading the Tiger for a Multistrada ...
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #16725
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Doesn't look at all fun to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Went for a great ride yesterday - beautiful sunny day but cold.

Before:

During:

After:

Great day
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote