User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #16741
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,088
Where to buy tubes

I've been searching for 30 minutes and haven't been able to find the answer to where to buy tubes for the 800XC, HD or regular. It could be the lack of coffee, but I'm usually pretty good at ferreting out the info I need.

Feels like another Monday coming on

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #16742
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I've been searching for 30 minutes and haven't been able to find the answer to where to buy tubes for the 800XC, HD or regular. It could be the lack of coffee, but I'm usually pretty good at ferreting out the info I need.

you just want tire tubes? all you need is the correct size, (80-90)21 front, (150-160)17 rear. your dealer, motosport, parts unlimited, revzilla.......

http://www.revzilla.com/search?query=tube
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #16743
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
you just want tire tubes? all you need is the correct size, (80-90)21 front, (150-160)17 rear. your dealer, motosport, parts unlimited, revzilla.......

http://www.revzilla.com/search?query=tube
Going to try the Full Bore tires from American Moto Tires, but their tube selection is limited. And considering it's been a few years since I've done my own tire changes, I want tubes on hand. I used to do pretty quick changes on my YZF426, but again, that was a few years ago.

Wasn't sure if I needed the exact size or a range, thanks for the answer

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #16744
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Going to try the Full Bore tires from American Moto Tires, but their tube selection is limited. And considering it's been a few years since I've done my own tire changes, I want tubes on hand. I used to do pretty quick changes on my YZF426, but again, that was a few years ago.

Wasn't sure if I needed the exact size or a range, thanks for the answer

They have the Michelin ones for radial tires - that's the one you want. They're about $30. I carry a spare.
Here's the product link at americanmototire: http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=610_618_619&products_id=3925

EDIT: BTW, tubes are not easy to find because this is a rare configuration indeed, a 150 size tire with a tube. About the only other bike that has this is the F800GS. The 1200's are tubless, as is just about everything else out there that runs a 150/160 size tire. You also want a 'radial' rated tube, they apparently are configured for more internal slip due to the nature of the radial belts of the tire. The big KTM's are tubed, but they're also an 18" rim.

The tires are easy to change, just get some rim protectors or cut tabs out of a plastic container lid or similar - has worked for me. The hardest part is breaking the bead on the rear - the side stand trick while the bike is on the center does work fairly well.

Also, I think you'll like the Fullbore's. I've put 3K miles on mine and they are the last thing I think of out on the bike. They just flat work, on and off pavement.

browneye screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 11:51 AM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #16745
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,588
Hi guys! I'm coming due for my 2-year service items, brake fluid replacement and coolant replacement. Looked at the service manual and it seems pretty straightforward all around.

My bike has ABS so I'm going to also attempt to replace the brake fluid in the ABS modulator using DealerTool. If anybody has done that and has any gotcha items or pointers for either job that aren't covered in the service manual, that would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #16746
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,140
LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Hey don't keep it secret. We like solutions.
Im trying to not solicit business in this thread ... so I can steer anyone interested in the LED lights and Tiger specific mounting hardware to our vendor thread

This post shows some pics of the lights up close and the hardware kit we put together for the Tiger

The full thread can be found in my signature line.

thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #16747
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:

I had a similar problem here in Oz and ended up getting a Harley Davidson tube in the correct size.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #16748
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
I had a similar problem here in Oz and ended up getting a Harley Davidson tube in the correct size.
30 seconds, and found them here

http://www.mx1australia.com.au/index...ls/product/827

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #16749
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
I see a fun weekend coming ...

cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #16750
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
Wow pretty quick...

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #16751
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

Cug- I'm curious on what prompted this? Are you looking for more smoothness or more bottoming control off road? As a former Ducati 996 owner with Ohlins I know ride quality is dramatically improved. On my crap EX500 race bike I put a FOX on it and you would have thought I swapped the frame out at the same time. A quality suspension upgrade can be dramatic in ride feel. I'll be interested in your review.
2000 Ducati 996S - Madness
2014 H-D Breakout - Nothing like a big scooter to relax a bit
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #16752
Couch_ninja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Cug- I'm curious on what prompted this? Are you looking for more smoothness or more bottoming control off road? As a former Ducati 996 owner with Ohlins I know ride quality is dramatically improved. On my crap EX500 race bike I put a FOX on it and you would have thought I swapped the frame out at the same time. A quality suspension upgrade can be dramatic in ride feel. I'll be interested in your review.
I'm also eagerly awaiting your review. How much was it? Have you done anything to the front forks?
Couch_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #16753
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

So far I LOVE mine. It improves everything. I've only got about 100 miles on it but you can immediately tell the difference. Have fun with the instillation. I didn't have to install mine . The remote reservoir locate is a little odd. I'll post a pic of what we came up with on mine. We basically just flipped it around...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #16754
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,569
Quote:
The most obvious answer is at a Triumph dealer as both the Tiger955i and the 800XC has the same size rear. I've found they're not too expensive.
Also, for HD tubes, look up "Mefo" and/or "Barum" and see if they're imported to the USA. Good quality made in the old eastern Europe. Cheaper than Michelin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You also want a 'radial' rated tube, they apparently are configured for more internal slip due to the nature of the radial belts of the tire.
I don't know where you get that idea from. I've never heard of it and have run my Tiger955i for 10 years and just used any old tube off the shelf. The OE tubes were just bog standard Metzeller. Same as the OE tubes in my XC were bog standard Bridgestone.

blacktiger screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 08:24 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #16755
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,569
Fork oil change.

The results are in.

Tuesday I changed my fork oil to straight 5W. I drained out what was in there into a measuring jug as I didn't want to strip the forks down completely. I got 460ml out of each leg. I replaced it with 400ml of 5W and put it all back together.
Last night I went for a 120 mile ride to my RAT club night and back. On the way there I took all the bumpiest roads I knew and the results were very favorable. Instead of "crashing into the bumps" it rode over them like a Rolls Royce. Well almost!
There didn't seem to be any lack of control in the damping department. The bike steered & stopped just the same. It was just so much more comfortable over the bumps and potholes. Front and rear seemed very well matched.

So my advice to those of you thinking of spending a fortune on cartridges and re-valving etc. is to try this first. Cost??? 10 for a litre of oil and 1 hour of time.