ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #16801
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Set it up to meet in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Its central to the map and that place has more bad roads, trails, tarmac twisties, and camping locations than any on earth.
Great selection. I would try hard to make it to such a meet.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #16802
eram310
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
THIS is where I (we) got the riser kit, most of us got 15mm risers as there was some discussion about instability and centerstand problems going with the full 30mm risers.

I hear you about getting off the bike - I like to do so for added safety margin, but NOT because I have to. It's funny, a few years ago I went back to full leathers after a decade of wearing textiles and the increased pants-to-seat friction is finally getting to my aging knees (having to pick-up my skinny ass and move it over corner-after-corner). I started a thread in the Perfect Line sub-forum about it and the track junkies have recommended talc powder, and few other friction reducing creams. For now I'm powdering my seat once a day and find it works quite well.

I'm fine with the stock suspenders now... all my riding partners are on pure street machinery and when the road gets rough, they'll back off before me on this dualsport anyways.
Thanks for the info Sanpper.
I use the Roadie 800 as my Sport Touring machine with good capabilities on gravel roads and comfortable riding two up. (I have other bikes for trail riding) I keep telling my friends on sport bikes that for 95% of the roads, an adventure bike is the better bike. There are very few roads around here that are super smooth, that a sport bike would have an edge. I also found out that on fast empty roads (like in Wyoming) the Tiger isn't as stable on sweepers as sport touring machine. This as an advantage, it keeps me closer to legal territory.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #16803
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'm thinking of setting up a national Tiger meet and greet... Anyone interested? Maybe there already is one i don't know about?
It's not only Tigers, but there's the annual Bennington Triumph Bash in Vermont, weekend after Memorial Day. Increasing numbers of Tigers have been showing up each year.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #16804
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,472
Triumph Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'm thinking of setting up a national Tiger meet and greet... Anyone interested? Maybe there already is one i don't know about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
It's not only Tigers, but there's the annual Bennington Triumph Bash in Vermont, weekend after Memorial Day. Increasing numbers of Tigers have been showing up each year.

--mark
Maybe contact Triumph USA, they could expand their Tridays across the pond...

http://www.tridays.com/
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #16805
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Thanks for the info Sanpper.
I use the Roadie 800 as my Sport Touring machine with good capabilities on gravel roads and comfortable riding two up. (I have other bikes for trail riding) I keep telling my friends on sport bikes that for 95% of the roads, an adventure bike is the better bike. There are very few roads around here that are super smooth, that a sport bike would have an edge. I also found out that on fast empty roads (like in Wyoming) the Tiger isn't as stable on sweepers as sport touring machine. This as an advantage, it keeps me closer to legal territory.
No problem and I agree with all that. I'm a pure street rider and only like to keep 1 bike - so the Tiger has to do it all for me... my personal favorite riding is in the slower speed tight technical twisties where the bike is kinda like a supermoto for me, but my riding buddies on the heavier artillery like the faster sweeper stuff where I am admittedly a pussy anyway. I lead the tight technical twisty routes, they lead the fast sweeper routes and the bike suits this very well.
__________________
Lateral G Junkie
Fear Deer
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #16806
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,842
It's funny, same road preferences here. I rarely go really fast on the fast sweepers, but I also rarely brake on the slow, tight, and technical roads - no hard acceleration, no hard braking, just smooth back and forth. The Tiger is perfect for that.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #16807
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Oddometer: 2,483
Yeah, I figured that'd be the case Cug - just based on our historic ground clearance, risers and past bike discussions - I believe we now even share the same arch enemy CLICKY which comes with the territory ;-).

Would love to ride with ya some day.. Cheers.
__________________
Lateral G Junkie
Fear Deer
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #16808
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It's funny, same road preferences here. I rarely go really fast on the fast sweepers, but I also rarely brake on the slow, tight, and technical roads - no hard acceleration, no hard braking, just smooth back and forth. The Tiger is perfect for that.
Cug,
Have you had a chance to run Cal. Hwy 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg with your Tiger yet?
It's in the top 5 of all the roads I've ridden in the last 120,000 miles!
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #16809
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I believe we now even share the same arch enemy
Hmpf. Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Would love to ride with ya some day.. Cheers.
Ditto. I really think the Tiger is the perfect bike for my riding. What I'd really love though would be a shaft drive and a longer 6th gear. I'd take a 10kg hit for that. It's weight down low, wouldn't bother me.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #16810
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Have you had a chance to run Cal. Hwy 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg with your Tiger yet?
It's in the top 5 of all the roads I've ridden in the last 120,000 miles!
Haven't done it with the Tiger yet. We've done that part with the car and I recall it as a really, really nice road. I actually like even tighter and twistier roads though. But it's definitely on my list to ride on the Tiger. Maybe later this year.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #16811
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Cug,
Have you had a chance to run Cal. Hwy 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg with your Tiger yet?
It's in the top 5 of all the roads I've ridden in the last 120,000 miles!
Fort Hunter Liggett?? Or am I just confuzzled?

From Hunter Liggett to the coast...in my sig RR for Laguna Seca, complete with pix. Road it down though, not up.

Have also ridden the dirt route just south of it, up from the coast. Even more fun.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RRLaguna Seca 2012 RRSequoia 3-Day CampoutThanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #16812
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Fort Hunter Liggett?? Or am I just confuzzled?
You are. You are referring to Nacimiento Ferguson Road:


View Larger Map


While Strider.Deano is talking about Legget, CA to Fort Bragg:


View Larger Map
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #16813
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
It's not only Tigers, but there's the annual Bennington Triumph Bash in Vermont, weekend after Memorial Day. Increasing numbers of Tigers have been showing up each year.

--mark
That trip started over on Triumph Rat. Started with some lady that owned a small shop and rode a Bonnie. Not exactly an easy trip from the west coast.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #16814
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You are. You are referring to Nacimiento Ferguson Road:


View Larger Map


While Strider.Deano is talking about Legget, CA to Fort Bragg:


View Larger Map

Thanks! I thought the names did sound different.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RRLaguna Seca 2012 RRSequoia 3-Day CampoutThanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #16815
dirt donkey
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: lala land, calif.
Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I actually disagree with this. The XC forks are harsh in their initial compression so that indicates to me that the damping is too stiff. If it were the air gap it would get stiffer further into its stroke as the air compressed.
You got the first bit wrong. Damping is governed purely by the oil trying to get through the little holes in the damping cartridge. The amount of oil has no effect on the damping.
In a closed system like in the fork leg with the top cap done up, the air on top of the oil compresses as the forks dive or hit a bump and the build up in pressure assists the steel spring. So the smaller the air gap, the quicker the air compresses.
the Tiger 800 doesn't use cartridges. I did change the oil with what i presume is a lighter weight oil and it does make a difference.
dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014