'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #16832
Moonsorrow
Jesus

Oddometer: 43
Fuel gauge

Mark,

I've replaced my fuelgauge becouse the contacts were broken (dont know how to pronounce it in English, but the floater is connected to a rotating piece of plastic with two pins sticking out and those pins make contact with some small resistors). In my case the pins were bent backward a bit and could not easily be fixed without damaging the rest of the gauge. The replacement however was a piece of cake, just do it whenever there is not much fuel left in the tank offcourse. Plug & play.
Moonsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #16833
No Degree
~~~~~~~~~~

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Just an old dirtbike subject, but I put my rear axle nut on the brake side. That way if it hits a rock then it will get tighter instead of loose.
+1 ounce of prevention
No Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #16834
paulj
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Triumph 800 XC Toolkit Woes

Received my brand new 800XC in November 12 – upgrading? from a BMW R1200R. Not quite the finish of the Beemer but a damned sight more spirited, and I won’t be handing it back any time soon.

Tool Kit – I would expect the standard tool kit to be sufficient to do roadside basics – take a wheel off (puncture), adjust the chain and tighten various other bolts and fasteners that work loose from time to time. Most factory supplied tool kits are rudimentary and not well built – we all understand that I guess.

Fortunately I did not have any occasion to use the bike’s toolkit as most things were attended to under warranty (engine leaks) or from my home garage.

But reading through various threads re toolkits I decided to take the wheels of to fit new tyres, just using the bike’s supplied toolkit – a rude and sobering job as it turned out.
1) The chain adjusters on my bike are 12mm bolts, locked up with a 13mm lock nut – something went wrong with the thinking process at Hinckley as the open ended spanners are 11mm and 12mm.

2) The 27mm rear axle nut could not be undone without severe application of my 100kg mass, landing on the rather limited spanner arm.

3) But the one thing I had not checked was the front axle – it is screwed in with a 17mm hexagonal key – unlike my other bikes that have a hex nut. There was none in the tool kit and even the workshop manual makes scant reference to it and does not denote the size. Trawling though these good places gave me the size but I considered that if I did not pack the key, or lost it or for whatever reason, it was not with me and the bike, the chances of finding, borrowing or buying one on the road was fairly limited and without it you are stuffed!

So I obtained a 17mm hex key from an engineering supplies shop, cut about 25mm or so off the end and Loctited it into the axle socket. Now I can use a spanner, shifting spanner, or in an emergency, pipe tongs or pliers – these things are more commonly found out in the field than a 17mm hex key.

Trust this may be of use to other Triumph owners – and I will be updating the kit with proper gear!

paulj screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 06:16 PM
paulj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #16835
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj View Post
Received my brand new 800XC in November 12 – upgrading? from a BMW R1200R. Not quite the finish of the Beemer but a damned sight more spirited, and I won’t be handing it back any time soon.

Tool Kit – I would expect the standard tool kit to be sufficient to do roadside basics – take a wheel off (puncture), adjust the chain and tighten various other bolts and fasteners that work loose from time to time. Most factory supplied tool kits are rudimentary and not well built – we all understand that I guess.

Fortunately I did not have any occasion to use the bike’s toolkit as most things were attended to under warranty (engine leaks) or from my home garage.

But reading through various threads re toolkits I decided to take the wheels of to fit new tyres, just using the bike’s supplied toolkit – a rude and sobering job as it turned out.
1) The chain adjusters on my bike are 12mm bolts, locked up with a 13mm lock nut – something went wrong with the thinking process at Hinckley as the open ended spanners are 11mm and 12mm.

2) The 27mm rear axle nut could not be undone without severe application of my 100kg mass, landing on the rather limited spanner arm.

3) But the one thing I had not checked was the front axle – it is screwed in with a 27mm hexagonal key – unlike my other bikes that have a hex nut. There was none in the tool kit and even the workshop manual makes scant reference to it and does not denote the size. Trawling though these good places gave me the size but I considered that if I did not pack the key, or lost it or for whatever reason, it was not with me and the bike, the chances of finding, borrowing or buying one on the road was fairly limited and without it you are stuffed!

So I obtained a 27mm hex key from an engineering supplies shop, cut about 25mm or so off the end and Loctited it into the axle socket. Now I can use a spanner, shifting spanner, or in an emergency, pipe tongs or pliers – these things are more commonly found out in the field than a 27mm hex key.

Trust this may be of use to other Triumph owners – and I will be updating the kit with proper gear!
I've never dreamed of using the supplied toolkit to do *any* work on the bike. They are the worst tools I've ever seen. I just put together my own toolkit with what's needed and carry that. Then I know I have the right tool and at least a tool I can count on. Unless you ride an old GoldWing, a friend had one and holy crap when he unrolled his Honda supplied tool roll, it was like an instant popup Snap On truck with everything you could ever want.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #16836
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
[QUOTE=paulj;21327380]Received my brand new 800XC in November 12 – upgrading? from a BMW R1200R. Not quite the finish of the Beemer but a damned sight more spirited, and I won’t be handing it back any time soon.

3) But the one thing I had not checked was the front axle – it is screwed in with a 27mm hexagonal key – unlike my other bikes that have a hex nut. There was none in the tool kit and even the workshop manual makes scant reference to it and does not denote the size. Trawling though these good places gave me the size but I considered that if I did not pack the key, or lost it or for whatever reason, it was not with me and the bike, the chances of finding, borrowing or buying one on the road was fairly limited and without it you are stuffed!

So I obtained a 27mm hex key from an engineering supplies shop, cut about 25mm or so off the end and Loctited it into the axle socket. Now I can use a spanner, shifting spanner, or in an emergency, pipe tongs or pliers – these things are more commonly found out in the field than a 27mm hex key.

Good info; it helps to do a trial run on most roadside situations to see what tools you may need more than what the "Factory Kit" supplies.
They seem to be thrown together and lacking of real necessities.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #16837
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,251
Yep, we all knew the tools were shit...but the missing front axle tool was an eye-opener. Found that the night I took it home and gave it the once over. Motion-Pro alloy thing-a-ma-bob for $35. What a rip off.

No flats in 6K miles. Nothing really, never been back to the dealer except for one oil filter and now I mail order those too. The Hi-Flo Filtro one is fine.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #16838
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,775
Isn't it a 17mm (like what is stamped on the spanner in the photo) rather than a 27mm?

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #16839
paulj
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Isn't it a 17mm (like what is stamped on the spanner in the photo) rather than a 27mm?
- thanks - of course it is! My bad - I'm too old to have much wisdom left - edited the post.

paulj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #16840
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I just use the one that came in the meagre tool kit. Do up the nut with it and you should be able to undo it with it. I've never, in 40 years, bothered to torque an axle nut to spec.
I'm with ya, maybe even 41 years.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #16841
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I've never, in 40 years, bothered to torque an axle nut to spec.
I use the torque wrench at home with the proper nut because it's much easier than with the normal wrench ...

Otherwise: same here, I don't generally bother with the torque wrench on these.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #16842
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj View Post

3)
So I obtained a 17mm hex key from an engineering supplies shop, cut about 25mm or so off the end and Loctited it into the axle socket.
Two questions:-
Re 2, did you not use the extension tube?
Re 3, Why didn't you just keep that bit of Hex in the tool kit? That's what I do.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #16843
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I use the torque wrench at home with the proper nut because it's much easier than with the normal wrench ...

Otherwise: same here, I don't generally bother with the torque wrench on these.
My point really cug, was that if you torque it at home to some huge value, you may struggle when out in the field. So, if you use the supplied tool to tighten the nut at home you'll be able to undo it as well. I learnt that years ago with my car when the wheel nuts had been done up with the tyre fitters gun, I needed an extension bar the get them undone again. Always tighten with the tools you take with you.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #16844
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
I bought one of these from this vendor on the FleaBay. It is a really nice piece of kit, especially for the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TIGE...03a08f&vxp=mtr

No affiliation, etc. Just a happy customer.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #16845
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I bought one of these from this vendor on the FleaBay. It is a really nice piece of kit, especially for the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TIGE...03a08f&vxp=mtr

No affiliation, etc. Just a happy customer.
Do you have it in your hands. Does it fit correctly. Both axle and wrench. Good hard steel that wont round out?

Looks like a nice item.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote