Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #16846
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
My point really cug, was that if you torque it at home to some huge value, you may struggle when out in the field.
I actually prefer to tighten to the spec value and maybe struggle a little bit on the road (although I never really struggled there). If you can't reach the right torque with the tools you take with you these tools aren't the right ones.

I can easily loosen the axle nut with the MotionPro tool I have under the seat.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #16847
Gronked
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for the info mate.

I should have mentioned I am asking for a comparo of the two because I have previously owned a GSA but, like you, decided I didn't like such bulky machines.

I'm on the verge of buying a Tiger and am just (like everyone looking to buy one) tossing up between the road and XC versions. I test rode the roadie and it was just great... altho all on tarmac.

There is a dealer 1.5 hours away with both on offer to test so I'm gonna make the trip and check them out.

I just figured, if I'm mostly gonna be doing fairly tame off road riding, due to my limited skills, would the roadie be enough for me considering the better on road handling compared to the XC.

Having taken my GSA on some fire roads and a couple of trails, I was curious as to the general opinion if a T800 roadie would go anywhere a GSA would go.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The A model GS is a special upgraded model. You really should be comparing to a standard R1200GS. The A has upgraded suspension, bigger tank, lots of guards and armor. It's taller and heavier, and has a lower first gear for crawling. It would be a little more adventure oriented than the T800.

Spoked wheels are an option on a GS. (Not sure about the A model) Standard are cast wheels like the Tiger. OTOH the spoked wheels on a GS are configured for tubeless tires.

The Tiger feels svelt and lively, the GS not so much.

Either bike will go anywhere you want to take it.

I have ridden both, as well as the Super Tenere. I did not bother with the Explorer, by the time I got to the Triumph store I had already elminated liter-plus bikes because they are so bulky. At the time I liked the Tenere better than the GS. The later felt cumbersome, shifted clunky, clutch is kind of odd (dry clutch) and the torque when you goose the throttle tries to rotate the bike over. I liked it just fine 2-up on the freeway, cruises nice and comfortable with good passing power. The Tenere was smoother and more refined, shifted like butter, but also feels really heavy at slow speed maneuvering for parking. Now having owned the 800XC for the better part of a year and 6K miles, I'd strongly suggest trying the Explorer 1200 if you're looking for the biggest bikes. And if you're going to spend that much money and that big of bike, and you mainly ride on the road, also look at Ducati Multistrada and Moto Guzzi Stelvio. On a budget the new Honda Crosstourer is getting favorable response, and there's the venerable Suzuki V-Strom big and small.

The GS is extremely popular and there is tons of aftermarket support. They hold their value well and are quite dependable, although there are known failures of the final drive, and they can be very expensive to maintain if you rely on the dealer. Older used models come up and can be a good buy on a budget.

The T800 is a different animal really, smooth and agile, I prefer it's suspension over the GS. The 19" front wheel is realy the only similarity, everything else is different. I would encourage you to ride both and decide for yourself. Either will tour on the hiway just fine, and either will venture off on dirt roads just fine as well. Either can be configured easily for luggage.

EDIT: BTW, you didn't mention budget. A T800 and a loaded GSA are like ten grand difference in cost. I've suggested a spread of new bike costs from about 8 grand to over 20.
Gronked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #16848
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
Do you have it in your hands. Does it fit correctly. Both axle and wrench. Good hard steel that wont round out?

Looks like a nice item.
It's in my tool kit under the seat.

It is aluminium not steel and works and fits as advertised. I can't see it rounding out if used properly. I've used it a couple of times (I also have a steel Motion Pro unit) and it has shown no signs of rounding and appears to be made of aircraft grade aluminium. I bought it and intend to use it for on-the-road use, not at home and in the garage where I'll use the steel Motion Pro.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #16849
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj View Post
Received my brand new 800XC in November 12 – upgrading? from a BMW R1200R. Not quite the finish of the Beemer but a damned sight more spirited, and I won’t be handing it back any time soon.

Tool Kit – I would expect the standard tool kit to be sufficient to do roadside basics – take a wheel off (puncture), adjust the chain and tighten various other bolts and fasteners that work loose from time to time. Most factory supplied tool kits are rudimentary and not well built – we all understand that I guess.

Fortunately I did not have any occasion to use the bike’s toolkit as most things were attended to under warranty (engine leaks) or from my home garage.

But reading through various threads re toolkits I decided to take the wheels of to fit new tyres, just using the bike’s supplied toolkit – a rude and sobering job as it turned out.
1) The chain adjusters on my bike are 12mm bolts, locked up with a 13mm lock nut – something went wrong with the thinking process at Hinckley as the open ended spanners are 11mm and 12mm.

2) The 27mm rear axle nut could not be undone without severe application of my 100kg mass, landing on the rather limited spanner arm.

3) But the one thing I had not checked was the front axle – it is screwed in with a 17mm hexagonal key – unlike my other bikes that have a hex nut. There was none in the tool kit and even the workshop manual makes scant reference to it and does not denote the size. Trawling though these good places gave me the size but I considered that if I did not pack the key, or lost it or for whatever reason, it was not with me and the bike, the chances of finding, borrowing or buying one on the road was fairly limited and without it you are stuffed!

So I obtained a 17mm hex key from an engineering supplies shop, cut about 25mm or so off the end and Loctited it into the axle socket. Now I can use a spanner, shifting spanner, or in an emergency, pipe tongs or pliers – these things are more commonly found out in the field than a 17mm hex key.

Trust this may be of use to other Triumph owners – and I will be updating the kit with proper gear!
so, when your going down a bumpy road and it falls out your now without the correct tools once again. just put it under the seat and call it a day. it also keeps things from sticking out further that can catch on shit. just my 2c
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #16850
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronked View Post

I should have mentioned I am asking for a comparo of the two because I have previously owned a GSA but, like you, decided I didn't like such bulky machines.

I'm on the verge of buying a Tiger and am just (like everyone looking to buy one) tossing up between the road and XC versions. I test rode the roadie and it was just great... altho all on tarmac.

There is a dealer 1.5 hours away with both on offer to test so I'm gonna make the trip and check them out.

I just figured, if I'm mostly gonna be doing fairly tame off road riding, due to my limited skills, would the roadie be enough for me considering the better on road handling compared to the XC.

Having taken my GSA on some fire roads and a couple of trails, I was curious as to the general opinion if a T800 roadie would go anywhere a GSA would go.

Thanks.
Never ridden a roadie, but just about every review I read before buying my XC said the XC actually handled better on the road than the roadie. The reviewers always said they were surprised because they figured the 21" front would compromise the road handling, but I can attest that I haven't given up a darn thing concerning road handling when comparing my Honda CBF to the XC. I'm actually riding faster on the XC on all my local roads than I ever did on the CBF.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #16851
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:

Thanks.
For me there really wasn't much debate. The larger front wheel has less rolling resistance in that it smooths out those little bumps and edges on pavement better, will take more abuse as the spoked wheel can be trued and the inverted fork and additional suspension travel make it a dream to ride both off and on pavement.

Maybe if I was absolutely going to hammer it on the road and go mac shnell through the corners, I would lean towards the roadie, but the XC handles as much speed as I care to give it, will drag pegs and roll out to the edges of the tires and is quick side to side. It also performs great two up on un and maintained dirt roads.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #16852
vanjoosten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I bought one of these from this vendor on the FleaBay. It is a really nice piece of kit, especially for the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TIGE...03a08f&vxp=mtr

No affiliation, etc. Just a happy customer.
That is a really nice item!

Another option is Harbor Freight. They sell a complete set of metric hex sockets for $12.99. I just removed the 17mm from the socket and keep 17mm wrench in my bag. The rest come in handy when working on the bike...

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...7880-html.html

Untitled
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #16853
paulj
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Two questions:-
Re 2, did you not use the extension tube?
Re 3, Why didn't you just keep that bit of Hex in the tool kit? That's what I do.
Extension tube - no did not use it - I do have a 27mm ring/tyre leaver in my old bike kit. It was more to try it out commando.

Hex key; Sure you can keep it in the tool kit but for people like me it is more likely to become lost, and as I comment, it is a one use piece of kit for the Triumph - for me, is best kept in the axle with a small dab of Loctite. I don't have to go looking for it.

Nearly bought a 1/4" drive hex key but the same problem can arise - I would need the other pieces to go with it - true they are multi-use but...

Each to their own I guess.

paulj screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 02:54 PM
paulj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #16854
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Never ridden a roadie, but just about every review I read before buying my XC said the XC actually handled better on the road than the roadie. The reviewers always said they were surprised because they figured the 21" front would compromise the road handling, but I can attest that I haven't given up a darn thing concerning road handling when comparing my Honda CBF to the XC. I'm actually riding faster on the XC on all my local roads than I ever did on the CBF.
I've never ridden an XC, but there is a reason sportbikes have 17" wheels; they handle the pavement better. The Roadie with the 19" front is a compromise towards road biased whereas the XC with the 21" front is compromise towards off-road. Each to his own, but for my type of sport touring I do believe the XC would hold me back. The Roadie did too until I spent $2K on suspension mods. Now it is awesome and I'm not dragging anything anymore. Just did the Kootenay Lake road today, which you probably know and had a blast. Buddy on his '09 CBR1000 is dragging his knees behind me and the Tiger has no problems doing that pace. What an awesome machine. Couldn't be happier.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #16855
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,587
Got a question Guys, I've just been fiddling with forks and noticed the steering stem bolt was loose, I've seen that mentioned here before. Anyway I decided, while the forks were out I'd strip this down and regrease and retension. Never had this apart before so imagine my surprise when I find it uses angular contact ball bearings in there rather than the tapered roller bearing that is so common. I would have thought you'd get a better tensioned front end using tapers rather than ball rollers? Has anyone tried this?

Cheers

Bill
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #16856
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,619
Hi guys,

I've bought a Tiger 800XC which has the Triumph fog lights fitted (the ones with the alloy surround). One of the globes has blown (H3) but, for the life of me, I cannot work out how to split the fog light to get at the globe. Can someone help this simpleton please??

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #16857
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Hi guys,

I've bought a Tiger 800XC which has the Triumph fog lights fitted (the ones with the alloy surround). One of the globes has blown (H3) but, for the life of me, I cannot work out how to split the fog light to get at the globe. Can someone help this simpleton please??
My best recollection is you need to remove the housing from the mounts in the surround. Then remove the screws and disassemble the globe from the housing. If I'm missing something, I'll be able to get a better look for you in the morning.

p3
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #16858
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
My best recollection is you need to remove the housing from the mounts in the surround. Then remove the screws and disassemble the globe from the housing. If I'm missing something, I'll be able to get a better look for you in the morning.

p3
I managed to remove the light from under the frame, undid the two screws at the back and expected the whole thing to fall apart in my hands, but not to be.

Any help appreciated.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #16859
Gronked
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for the feedback re Roadie vs XC. If the on-road performance of the XC is as people say it is, then it'll be a no-brainer.... sounds like a bike that really can do everything.

I'm going to a dealer to test ride tomorrow.

Thanks again :)
Gronked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #16860
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback re Roadie vs XC. If the on-road performance of the XC is as people say it is, then it'll be a no-brainer.... sounds like a bike that really can do everything.

I'm going to a dealer to test ride tomorrow.

Thanks again :)
one thing to remember is the Roadie has tubeless tires. The XC runs tubes. Fixing a flat on the XC will be an ordeal compared to the simple plug required by the Roadie.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote