Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #17206
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Unfortunately the rotor is ~$250 ... Not happy.

Has anybody seen good aftermarket brake disks for the Tiger 800?
This doesn't make sense, as the rotors float and the ABS ring is solid mounted to the carrier. Hmm.

If you're out of warranty, I'd call Brake Tech.

http://www.braketech.com/
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #17207
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
This doesn't make sense, as the rotors float and the ABS ring is solid mounted to the carrier. Hmm.
I can see that the brake disk isn't flat, it's "moving" (How do you call what?) from side to side a little when I look down along the fork leg when riding.

Just the left side with the ABS ring. I might bring it up with Triumph. The bike is still in warranty.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #17208
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
Undiscovered damage from your crash?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #17209
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
It's unfortunately a possibility.

I will take a closer look when I'm back home - to figure out whether it's the rotor or the wheel. They told me they checked the wheel but I really don't trust them.

At the moment I think the main issue is that due to continuous heat some of the material expanded / warped a bit more and that's what was causing the grinding. I stopped that, but I haven't solved the actual issue of course. But I don't really want to take the wheel off and disassemble the whole thing while I'm on the trip if I don't have to.

So, can someone who has the Service Manual handy do me a favor and check how the sensor/bolt/washer is supposed to be installed? If the washer is supposed to be on the inside of the bracket (towards the wheel), the ***holes at the shop that did the repair have fucked up one more piece.

UPDATE: I just found it in the digital copies I made of the relevant pages in the manual, the shop did fuck it up. The washer is supposed to be installed the way I have it now. Damn. Need to have another chat with them when I get back.

cug screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 07:42 PM
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #17210
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:

I will take a closer look when I'm back home - to figure out whether it's the rotor or the wheel. They told me they checked the wheel but I really don't trust them.

At the moment I think the main issue is that due to continuous heat some of the material expanded / warped a bit more and that's what was causing the grinding. I stopped that, but I haven't solved the actual issue of course. But I don't really want to take the wheel off and disassemble the whole thing while I'm on the trip if I don't have to.

So, can someone who has the Service Manual handy do me a favor and check how the sensor/bolt/washer is supposed to be installed? If the washer is supposed to be on the inside of the bracket (towards the wheel), the ***holes at the shop that did the repair have fucked up one more piece.

UPDATE: I just found it in the digital copies I made of the relevant pages in the manual, the shop did fuck it up. The washer is supposed to be installed the way I have it now. Damn. Need to have another chat with them when I get back.
Glad you found the issue. Have a fun trip. Sent you a PM...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #17211
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Glad you found the issue. Have a fun trip. Sent you a PM...
Many thanks again. I'm just so thrilled by that shop ... I guess I'll do every single maintenance myself in the future. At least I can screw up things myself.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #17212
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
I've been out of touch for a few days. Not sure whats been talked about and I don't have the energy to go back and read. SO..., as a quick update.

I received my Race Tech modified forks yesterday. I'll have them mounted by Friday and already have a trip planned for Saturday. I can not wait to try these things out!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #17213
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I've been out of touch for a few days. Not sure whats been talked about and I don't have the energy to go back and read. SO..., as a quick update.

I received my Race Tech modified forks yesterday. I'll have them mounted by Friday and already have a trip planned for Saturday. I can not wait to try these things out!
Looking forward to the report. Yours is the Tiger 800XC, right?

I'm very interested to know how the Race Tech setup works for you. I'm ready to pull the trigger once I know they have the setup calculations dialed in. That fork is the one nag I have about the bike. After riding my KTM 950Adv with a Pro-Action tuned fork I know how good it can be. Unfortunately the local Pro-Action shop doesn't have a calculation for this fork application in their arsenal.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #17214
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Quote:
I didn't realize you'd had a crash.

Yes. Rotors are good for hitting stuff and not showing obvious damage, without a dial indicator.

Quote:
I guess I'll do every single maintenance myself in the future. At least I can screw up things myself.
That's the way I look at everything.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #17215
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Looking forward to the report. Yours is the Tiger 800XC, right?

I'm very interested to know how the Race Tech setup works for you. I'm ready to pull the trigger once I know they have the setup calculations dialed in. That fork is the one nag I have about the bike. After riding my KTM 950Adv with a Pro-Action tuned fork I know how good it can be. Unfortunately the local Pro-Action shop doesn't have a calculation for this fork application in their arsenal.
Decker Performance did mine. He was with Pro Action but recently broke off and is now doing his own deal. 816-668-0309
He has done a few of my race bikes before and always does good work.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #17216
Applevalleyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Lower my 800 XC---How?

Just returned from a 500 mi two day ride on my new 800XC. Loved most things about the bike, but getting on and off were not two of them. I am 6'1" but my inseam is only 30". I prefer the seat in the high position as it gives my old knees a bit more room and that only compounds the problem. If I could lower it by say 3" it would help a lot. How would I accomplish this? Longer links from the shock to the rear should lower the rear. On the front can I loosen the triple clamp and slide it further down the fork tube? Has anyone lowered an XC? I would love to hear from you if you have.
Cheers,
Applevalleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #17217
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Just FYI...to all discussion about welded passenger pegs etc.

Recently in long ride we were accompanied by my good friend on BMV F650.
He got overexcited/too brave and went off in one of S-shaped turns. Simply leaned his bike too much. No damage to him except pride :) and blue bum :) and F650 crashed well - we got it back up and rideable in less than 15 minutes. But.
Today he looked into details of bent pasenger peg holder. It is bolt on. Not welded. Yet it cracked and at same time bent mount together with subframe.

So....not only passenger pegs should be bolt on. They should be made of plasticine or glass to break before damage to subframe takes place. E.g. only ideal solution is sacrificial connectors and sawn off rear pegs - I even did some detailed planning and description for that on tiger800.co.uk

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/....html#msg79485
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #17218
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
Just returned from a 500 mi two day ride on my new 800XC. Loved most things about the bike, but getting on and off were not two of them. I am 6'1" but my inseam is only 30". I prefer the seat in the high position as it gives my old knees a bit more room and that only compounds the problem. If I could lower it by say 3" it would help a lot. How would I accomplish this? Longer links from the shock to the rear should lower the rear. On the front can I loosen the triple clamp and slide it further down the fork tube? Has anyone lowered an XC? I would love to hear from you if you have.
Cheers,
How are you getting on/off? Just mount the bike like a horse. Left foot on left peg, while holding the handlebars (squeeze front brake if you want), just lean in over the bike to center your weight and stand up on the left peg. Then simply swing your right leg over and sit down. Works a treat on any bike, tall or not.

My wife didn't like the kick high and throw your leg through when she has her Ventura bag mounted to the passenger seat so I showed her the horse mount and that's the only way she gets on/off now. Try it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #17219
Applevalleyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Lower my XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
How are you getting on/off? Just mount the bike like a horse. Left foot on left peg, while holding the handlebars (squeeze front brake if you want), just lean in over the bike to center your weight and stand up on the left peg. Then simply swing your right leg over and sit down. Works a treat on any bike, tall or not.

My wife didn't like the kick high and throw your leg through when she has her Ventura bag mounted to the passenger seat so I showed her the horse mount and that's the only way she gets on/off now. Try it.
I tried that method and it does work. What I didn't like was having to depend on the side stand to support the bike while I tried to do it. The idea of the bike falling over while I tried to "mount" it left me with a very insecure feeling.

So back to my original question. Has anyone lowered their's, and if so, how did you do it?
Thanks for you time,
Applevalleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #17220
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
I tried that method and it does work. What I didn't like was having to depend on the side stand to support the bike while I tried to do it. The idea of the bike falling over while I tried to "mount" it left me with a very insecure feeling.

So back to my original question. Has anyone lowered their's, and if so, how did you do it?
Thanks for you time,
If you step up on the peg first you can swing your leg over even if there's gear on the pillion. If you center your weight over the bike it won't tip or strain the kickstand. If the pillion is empty then swinging a leg over from the ground is how it's been done since motorcyles were invented. You bend your right knee tight as your foot goes over.

Lowering the bike for a six-footer? Hmmm...you bought an adventure bike not a harley.
I know, you really wanted 5" of ground clearance and drag the pegs too, right?
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote