ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #17206
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
$30 for spools and $50 for paddock stand
+1

The spools also help add some swingarm / rear axle crash protection, and weigh a lot less than a centerstand.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #17207
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToWander View Post
I just bought a used 2011 Tiger 800. It is fully-farkled but lacks a centerstand. I have cleaned and oiled the chain by walking the bike along, but in my opinion it's a pain. Of course I could buy a centerstand for it, but I would like to avoid the $300 expense (installed) if possible. The bike has the metal Triumph bash plate, and I am wondering if it is sturdy enough to raise the rear tire via a floor jack???

Any suggestions? If anyone has experience with this, I would sure appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!
For a roadie with tubeless tires this is probably not a biggie. For the XC it would be extremely difficult to remove a wheel for a flat repair in the field without a center stand.

The 'sump guard', as they call it, is mounted on rubber bumpers - not sufficient for lifting the bike in my opinion. Seems to me there's a warning about that in the mounting instructions for it.

Spools and paddock stand is a good option for a roading version.

In any case, an Enduro Star stand is a nice addition to the road-going tool pack: www.endurostar.com


__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RRLaguna Seca 2012 RRSequoia 3-Day CampoutThanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #17208
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!
 
Mr_Chris's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
It sprang back into position and felt totally normal, besides not going into gear. Kind of like when sometimes on if you're travelling at highway speed and have to come to a quick stop on a bike, you can have issues clicking down into first. In those cases, it's easily resolved by letting out the clutch or rolling the bike a few inches. In my case, though, the clutch and rolling did nothing to help the situation.
Hi Tim,

Had this happen to a friend's Tiger on a ride last summer, it required an actuator part inside the transmission to be replaced... The mechanic told me it was an unlikely issue but the design of the transmission made the service quicker and cheaper than it could have been, which was a compliment on the tiger design IMO. In this case the rider came afoul of a very deep rut and did a 180, coming down hard on the shifter with enough force to shatter an internal part. I came up behind him after it had already happened.

You can see how it looked on the trail from about 2:50 on this video from that ride. http://youtu.be/5EYXJ2LXMec

Wish I could tell you the exact name of the part but I reckon you'll know before I could find out.
__________________
Lusting for: Currently Sated with the new XCx
Current: 2012 Berg FE570, 2010 Street Triple R (wifey), 2015 Tiger 800 XCx -- O YEA!
Sold: 1975 CT90, 2008 XVS650, 2007 Rocket III Classic, 2010 Rocket III Roadster, 2011 800 XC
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #17209
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ttime4four's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
What you do in this situation is, save/bookmark this website http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...odel_id=560041
Then you can look at the diagrams of the wheels http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560041 and look at the bearings which shows their size, item 7 = 20x47x14 so your front spindle is 20mm diameter.
I'll let you practice to find the rear spindle size.
blacktiger,

thanks for this info - I had originally looked at Bike Bandit (similar to your link) for parts info looking for the specs on the axle itself. I didn't think far enough to look at the bearing size.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2011-trium...4256#sch739153

When looking here - it looks like the rear is also 20mm.

Item 4: BEARING,BALL,20 47 14 p/n 1398742

__________________
'14 KTM 690 Enduro R
'14 BMW R nine T
'06 Husaberg FE450e (Oregon Plated)
ttime4four is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #17210
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToWander View Post
I just bought a used 2011 Tiger 800. It is fully-farkled but lacks a centerstand. I have cleaned and oiled the chain by walking the bike along, but in my opinion it's a pain. Of course I could buy a centerstand for it, but I would like to avoid the $300 expense (installed) if possible. The bike has the metal Triumph bash plate, and I am wondering if it is sturdy enough to raise the rear tire via a floor jack???

Any suggestions? If anyone has experience with this, I would sure appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!
pretty sure if you read the manual, or maybe its on the sump guard directions, it says not to raise the bike in that area.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #17211
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,530
Setting sag

Just trying to set the sag on my XC. Rear travel is 215mm so 30% of that is 70mm. With the bike on the center stand, rear wheel off the ground I measure 66mm from axle to seat seam. With me seated in gear I measure 57mm so my sag is 9mm.

I weigh 200lbs w/o gear so probably 225 with all my gear on so it's not because I'm a featherweight. Shock is set to factory settings. What am I doing wrong? With my weight shouldn't I be seeing a lot more sag?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #17212
fmunson
Adventurer
 
fmunson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: In da woods, NL, Canada
Oddometer: 47
Brake cable / Rox Risers

Folks,
My brake cable is just a little to short to add The 2" Rox risers that have been sitting in my farkle box. Do any of you have experience in ordering custom cables or know of an easy solution for the mechanically challenged?
fmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #17213
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunson View Post
Folks,
My brake cable is just a little to short to add The 2" Rox risers that have been sitting in my farkle box. Do any of you have experience in ordering custom cables or know of an easy solution for the mechanically challenged?
Do you have a XC or Roadie? The 2" Rox risers worked fine on my XC, no mods needed!
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #17214
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Just trying to set the sag on my XC. Rear travel is 215mm so 30% of that is 70mm. With the bike on the center stand, rear wheel off the ground I measure 66mm from axle to seat seam. With me seated in gear I measure 57mm so my sag is 9mm.

I weigh 200lbs w/o gear so probably 225 with all my gear on so it's not because I'm a featherweight. Shock is set to factory settings. What am I doing wrong? With my weight shouldn't I be seeing a lot more sag?
Sure your not using a centimeter tape? 66 mm is only 3" roughly.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #17215
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongrade View Post
Sure your not using a centimeter tape? 66 mm is only 3" roughly.
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner and I'm an idiot.
66cm = 660mm
57cm = 570mm

for a sag measurement of 90mm which makes total sense given my weight and the stock suspension. Thanks for pointing out the obvious ongrade and you'd think I'd know that given we have been using the metric system in Canada since the 70s.

Carry on with your regularly scheduled programming.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #17216
outagas
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 19
Just buy a paddock stand, Oxford do a twin wheel very robust one for around £60 UK !
Some bobbins and its really easy to lift!

You can then adjust your chain away all day long!

Rgds Lee!
outagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #17217
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by outagas View Post
Just buy a paddock stand, Oxford do a twin wheel very robust one for around £60 UK !
Some bobbins and its really easy to lift!

You can then adjust your chain away all day long!

Rgds Lee!
At home. Doesn't do you any good on a trip. I prefer a center stand, even at home in my shop where I have paddock stands, motorcycle jacks, stands you name it. Even have one of these...



which works OK on street tires but not so well on a bike with knobbies.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #17218
fmunson
Adventurer
 
fmunson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: In da woods, NL, Canada
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Do you have a XC or Roadie? The 2" Rox risers worked fine on my XC, no mods needed!
XC, too tight for comfort. I tried to reroute but made it worse.
fmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #17219
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Vzuke's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 145
Risers risers.

I have XC risers on a roadie with the 2" Rox risers.
The clutch cable is taunt at full lock but it doesn't effect the operation.
I put some door edge molding on the gas tank bracket so the cable wouldn't rub.
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #17220
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunson View Post
XC, too tight for comfort. I tried to reroute but made it worse.
i've had 2" risers for almost 2 years now. zero problems.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015