Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #17251
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
It sprang back into position and felt totally normal, besides not going into gear. Kind of like when sometimes on if you're travelling at highway speed and have to come to a quick stop on a bike, you can have issues clicking down into first. In those cases, it's easily resolved by letting out the clutch or rolling the bike a few inches. In my case, though, the clutch and rolling did nothing to help the situation.
I don't think your selector spring is at fault. Like you say your bike should have had the new one and having seen the spring first hand not sure how a tip over would impact the spring regardless. Anyway, hopefully it can be resolved quickly. The hassle sucks.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #17252
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
It sprang back into position and felt totally normal, besides not going into gear. Kind of like when sometimes on if you're travelling at highway speed and have to come to a quick stop on a bike, you can have issues clicking down into first. In those cases, it's easily resolved by letting out the clutch or rolling the bike a few inches. In my case, though, the clutch and rolling did nothing to help the situation.
Hope it's a simple fix.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #17253
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,375
Sand must be more forgiving than mud...

no issues after this crash or another simple tip over on a steep uphill. I wonder if there wasn't a rock hidden in the mud that tweaked the shifter assembly.

My son had a simple low speed wash out on my DR in some very soft powdery dirt and this was the result...

there was a nice jagged rock just under the surface. Hope you get yours resolved quickly.

bross screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 02:28 PM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #17254
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 24,723
Dumb queston: Have the 2012 models gone on sale yet? Looking to replace my Speed Triple
Old 06-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #17255
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAlpineDrifter View Post
Dumb queston: Have the 2012 models gone on sale yet? Looking to replace my Speed Triple
Yes. You can even get 2013 models if you'd like!
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #17256
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
I would rather stand on the left peg, low side of the bike than trying to mount using this method from the right. Not sure how this can be safer.
Never said it was safer, just said I like it more. Getting on the right side you have control, which is great as long as you don't screw up. 8^) I have slipped off the peg on the left side on one bike (peg was oily) less likely to happen on the right (but maybe more disastrous?) Some bikes lean over quite a bit and the tank can get in your way from the left.

Hell, get a running start and mount it from behind like the old westerns if that is what you like best. Each person has to decide what is best for them, then be responsible for the consequences. That may be a foreign idea these days, but the laws of physics are not to be trifled with.
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #17257
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 24,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Yes. You can even get 2013 models if you'd like!
Yeah, but I'm trying to not spend any more money than I have to seeing as I'm buying a house.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #17258
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 147
If someone has the Jesse luggage racks mounted on a Tiger can you let me know what the outside to outside dimension is, that is how wide is the whole set-up? By comparison I am told the Wolfman racks are 21 inches outside to outside dimension.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #17259
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

no issues after this crash or another simple tip over on a steep uphill. I wonder if there wasn't a rock hidden in the mud that tweaked the shifter assembly.

My son had a simple low speed wash out on my DR in some very soft powdery dirt and this was the result...

there was a nice jagged rock just under the surface. Hope you get yours resolved quickly.
Yeah, I suppose anything is possible, but I sure didn't see anything in the 45 minutes or so I was crouched on the ground trying to figure out WTF was wrong. It was all pretty soft dirt/mud, I really didn't think anything of it when I first got the bike up. There was some dirt clumped in the crash bars and bark busters, and the shift lever was bent slightly, but that was the extent of the visible impact. Not sure what to think about how it seems nobody else has had this happen, but hopefully the dealership will be able to answer some questions soon.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #17260
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Jessie racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
If someone has the Jesse luggage racks mounted on a Tiger can you let me know what the outside to outside dimension is, that is how wide is the whole set-up? By comparison I am told the Wolfman racks are 21 inches outside to outside dimension.
With my Scorpion aftermarket slip on it's 15 5/8". With the stock pipe a 1" spacer was installed making it originally wider.
Hope this helps.
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #17261
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Axle Diameters

Please help a brother out and please save me the trouble of pulling the axles to measure the diameter of the front and rear axles of the Tiger 800 XC.

SPINDLE, FRONT WHEEL P/N 1389231
WHEEL SPINDLE, REAR P/N 2746078

Thanks.

ttime4four screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 12:03 AM
ttime4four is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #17262
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Yeah, I suppose anything is possible, but I sure didn't see anything in the 45 minutes or so I was crouched on the ground trying to figure out WTF was wrong. It was all pretty soft dirt/mud, I really didn't think anything of it when I first got the bike up. There was some dirt clumped in the crash bars and bark busters, and the shift lever was bent slightly, but that was the extent of the visible impact. Not sure what to think about how it seems nobody else has had this happen, but hopefully the dealership will be able to answer some questions soon.
It's just unlucky coincidence I think.
Generally not going to gears could happen for no apparent reason and no specific bike. I had such situation with one Yamaha about I think 7-8 years ago. Can be different, but in my case it was just matter of hitting gear lever at really really bad (for gearbox) moment. With motorcycle type of gearbox it could get badly stuck. I hope you have some other situation, because in my case with Yamaha we had to actually open engine up. But that was absolutely worst case scenario and accident took place on paved road.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #17263
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
Please help a brother out and please save me the trouble of pulling the axles to measure the diameter of the front and rear axles of the Tiger 800 XC.

SPINDLE, FRONT WHEEL P/N 1389231
WHEEL SPINDLE, REAR P/N 2746078

Thanks.
What you do in this situation is, save/bookmark this website http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...odel_id=560041
Then you can look at the diagrams of the wheels http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560041 and look at the bearings which shows their size, item 7 = 20x47x14 so your front spindle is 20mm diameter.
I'll let you practice to find the rear spindle size.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #17264
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,776
I had fitted a couple of those manual holders to my SW Motech racks some time ago but never really liked them - they were a PIA to get to and I could never get the tools I wanted to carry fit in them. So, I took them off and tried a Kriega 10 I had lying around.

Pics:

I have spare tubes and all the tools I need (apart from my compressor and a tool roll under the seat) in the bag. I am just back from a trip on some pretty rough dirt roads and the bag didn't move an inch.

Just wanted to put that out there...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #17265
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I had fitted a couple of those manual holders to my SW Motech racks some time ago but never really liked them - they were a PIA to get to and I could never get the tools I wanted to carry fit in them. So, I took them off and tried a Kriega 10 I had lying around.

Pics:

I have spare tubes and all the tools I need (apart from my compressor and a tool roll under the seat) in the bag. I am just back from a trip on some pretty rough dirt roads and the bag didn't move an inch.

Just wanted to put that out there...
It looks like it could hit the swing arm...?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote