Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #17281
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by outagas View Post
Just buy a paddock stand, Oxford do a twin wheel very robust one for around 60 UK !
Some bobbins and its really easy to lift!

You can then adjust your chain away all day long!

Rgds Lee!
At home. Doesn't do you any good on a trip. I prefer a center stand, even at home in my shop where I have paddock stands, motorcycle jacks, stands you name it. Even have one of these...

which works OK on street tires but not so well on a bike with knobbies.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #17282
fmunson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Do you have a XC or Roadie? The 2" Rox risers worked fine on my XC, no mods needed!
XC, too tight for comfort. I tried to reroute but made it worse.
fmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #17283
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Risers risers.

I have XC risers on a roadie with the 2" Rox risers.
The clutch cable is taunt at full lock but it doesn't effect the operation.
I put some door edge molding on the gas tank bracket so the cable wouldn't rub.
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #17284
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunson View Post
XC, too tight for comfort. I tried to reroute but made it worse.
i've had 2" risers for almost 2 years now. zero problems.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #17285
fmunson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
i've had 2" risers for almost 2 years now. zero problems.
Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question; how tight is too tight? In regards to cables that is!
fmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #17286
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunson View Post
Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question; how tight is too tight? In regards to cables that is!
Any binding is no good. With the bike idling turn the bars lock to lock and listen for the idle to increase, if it does the throttle cables are being pulled slightly which is not good. You don't want to be making a slow speed tight turn and all of a sudden have your throttle start increasing on it's own.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #17287
TripleTigerIII
NW Rider

Oddometer: 3
my 2012 Tiger 800xc had the stahling issues too during deceleration and stops. New upload of ECU software data and no more problems. Since then i've installed the Leo Vince slip on. I'm going to try the arrow tune next.
TripleTigerIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #17288
outagas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I guess the secret is to do all your maintenance before you leave home! Can't say I've Evers gone out for the day and thought oh I must adjust a d loob my chain!

But I agree for punctures ect- there's no arguement!

Lee!
outagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #17289
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTigerIII View Post
my 2012 Tiger 800xc had the stahling issues too during deceleration and stops. New upload of ECU software data and no more problems. Since then i've installed the Leo Vince slip on. I'm going to try the arrow tune next.
Don't bother. All that'll happen is your fuel mileage will plummet.

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #17290
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTigerIII View Post
If you running Leo with DB killer - from my experience - loading Arrow tune will jump up consumption a lot, makes bike run way too rich and brings no improvements.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #17291
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by outagas View Post
I guess the secret is to do all your maintenance before you leave home! Can't say I've Evers gone out for the day and thought oh I must adjust a d loob my chain!

But I agree for punctures ect- there's no arguement!

Lee!
depends on how long your gone
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #17292
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Hi Tim,

Had this happen to a friend's Tiger on a ride last summer, it required an actuator part inside the transmission to be replaced... The mechanic told me it was an unlikely issue but the design of the transmission made the service quicker and cheaper than it could have been, which was a compliment on the tiger design IMO. In this case the rider came afoul of a very deep rut and did a 180, coming down hard on the shifter with enough force to shatter an internal part. I came up behind him after it had already happened.

You can see how it looked on the trail from about 2:50 on this video from that ride. http://youtu.be/5EYXJ2LXMec

Wish I could tell you the exact name of the part but I reckon you'll know before I could find out.
Well, its good to know that somebody else has had the issue I guess. I was hoping to be able to report back with more info by now, but alas, that doesn't seem to be the theme for this ordeal.

I called the dealership Monday to get the bike into the shop, they guy told me they had an opening for Tuesday and that someone would give me a call in the morning. Tuesday came around, and I hadn't gotten any call, so I called them again and got transferred to their Triumph guy (it's a multi brand dealership). Triumph guy hadn't even been aware that I'd called the previous day, but confirmed that they did indeed have a spot open. I gave him the info about where the bike was sitting and all, and he said they'd pick it up and diagnose the problem. I asked when I could expect to hear back from them, and he said likely that afternoon, but if not then, then definitely the next morning. Well, didn't hear anything from them all morning, so gave them a call at 4:00. Even though the service depts. hours are 7:30 to 6, apparently the Triumph guy has already gone home for the day, and there's only one guy in the shop and he doesn't know anything about it. He took my name and number (again) and Triumph guy is supposed to call in the morning. I'm not holding my breath. At this point I still don't even know if my bike has been picked up.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #17293
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Well, its good to know that somebody else has had the issue I guess. I was hoping to be able to report back with more info by now, but alas, that doesn't seem to be the theme for this ordeal.

I called the dealership Monday to get the bike into the shop, they guy told me they had an opening for Tuesday and that someone would give me a call in the morning. Tuesday came around, and I hadn't gotten any call, so I called them again and got transferred to their Triumph guy (it's a multi brand dealership). Triumph guy hadn't even been aware that I'd called the previous day, but confirmed that they did indeed have a spot open. I gave him the info about where the bike was sitting and all, and he said they'd pick it up and diagnose the problem. I asked when I could expect to hear back from them, and he said likely that afternoon, but if not then, then definitely the next morning. Well, didn't hear anything from them all morning, so gave them a call at 4:00. Even though the service depts. hours are 7:30 to 6, apparently the Triumph guy has already gone home for the day, and there's only one guy in the shop and he doesn't know anything about it. He took my name and number (again) and Triumph guy is supposed to call in the morning. I'm not holding my breath. At this point I still don't even know if my bike has been picked up.
And when you get it back, repaired, I hope you're going to make some "brake snakes" which should help prevent the levers doing strange things. Quite common in Enduro circles. Here's my homemade setup using a pushbike brake inner and an electrical screw terminal connector. Total cost = 2.50 for both sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtTE08HliM4
Some levers actually come pre-fitted http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/brake-snake

Another observation regarding protecting the foot levers.........none, absolutely NONE of the crashbars available for these bikes offers any protection to the levers.
You know? Some sort of loop just ahead of the levers (refer to above photo) would stop them digging into the dirt in a fall.

blacktiger screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 02:22 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #17294
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
I'm certain this may get lost in a sea of posts- but I wanted to share my review of the "new" bike I've had for a year, my '12 Roadie.

I bought the Tiger as a birthday present last year, but newfound work responsibilities effectively reduced my riding to zilch- and I normally commuted, but that wasn't happening at the time. I rode it, sure- but a fraction of what I would normally ride a bike.

Fast forward to the past month- and there is some urgency on my part to get in riding before a mandatory physical hiatus prevents me from doing same.

As a gift, my bud Bueller offered to help me install the center stand and the heated grips I bought with the bike.

Yesterday, the centerstand went on- and the heated grips. As an added bonus, he updated my map (which wasn't even the newest one when I bought the bike, much less some changes since). We adjusted the chain (by we, I mean he did- evidently the two feet of play in my chain was more than he could bear!)- and the chain was adjusted with precision and brought to a blazing gleam.

I rode it home today, on the kind of Ohio day that is warm and humid when stopped, but cool and damp when moving. Here's my take:

1. The new map and the adjusted chain really sharpened this Tiger's claws- a bike that seemed plenty powerful this year is even more weaponlike. I daresay I may- MAY have violated something, somehow on the way home.

2. The factory heated grips are perfect for days like this- I set the button two clicks to the low setting, and it was really warm. I can only imagine high! This was a perfect offset to the cool air flowing around my upper body. The diameter of the grips felt good in the hand, too- very touring friendly.

I am convinced this is one of the best all around motorcycles I have ever owned. I grinned ear to ear the whole ride, and I swear even the stock seat cut back on the torture a skosh, waiting to remind me of tailbone woes until I at least climbed off 45 miles later. I think if I can only get this sorted, I will be thoroughly satisfied with this bike.

Other related thoughts:

1. Best stock headlights on any bike I have ever owned save for the GL1800;
2. Triumph's thoughtfulness in providing slots for this, that and the other showed planning for fitment (although whoever does the drawings for their installation manuals needs a beatdown);
3. fuel economy, even with the ancient map fro November, 2011 and under flogging conditions has been exxxxccceeeeelllleeennnt.
4. One snafu- the plastic guard thingamabob that blocks the fuel filler decided to take the plunge, and is now inside my tank. My scanalyzing tactics reveal that this is not uncommon across the internet. Insert raspberry here.

All in all, a good bike made great with some elbow grease and technical skill.

Thaks, Bueller!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #17295
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Just got my fuel filler thingy replaced today under warranty. Service tech seems to think the new one may be a bit stiffer, but otherwise looked identical. He mentioned the old part was going back to Triumph for inspection. Definitely bring it up with your dealer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote