User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #17296
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Always glad to help.

My T800 really is a fantastic bike that I have *mostly* enjoyed for the last 12,000 miles. To add to XPADREX's comments, I have only two dislikes:

1) Stock handlebar location, easily fixed with a set of Rox Risers. Triumph was very generous with cable and wire length, so I forgive them for not giving the stock bars more rise/pullback.

2) The seat. What the fuck were they thinking? I even bought and tried the Gel seat, which gets a double "what the fuck were they thinking".

I can't for the life of me understand why motorcycle manufacturers in general are so interested in keeping Russell, Sargent (great company btw), and the Mayer brothers overflowing with business. Does it really cost that much more to make a decent seat instead of the a vinyl covered ball crushing wedgie device? I rode a Moto Guzzi last weekend that had a wonderful stock seat. In fact, the 2002 Moto Guzzi Le Mans I used to own had a good seat too. There really is no excuse for the abomination Triumph calls a seat on this motorcycle. And for the record, not just Triumph - most motorcycle makers are guilty of this.

Beyond that the T800 has been wonderful. I'm hoping when I tear into it over the next week to do the 12,000 mile service that the valvetrain won't need any shims.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #17297
JWeier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Completely Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Always glad to help.

My T800 really is a fantastic bike that I have *mostly* enjoyed for the last 12,000 miles. To add to XPADREX's comments, I have only two dislikes:

1) Stock handlebar location, easily fixed with a set of Rox Risers. Triumph was very generous with cable and wire length, so I forgive them for not giving the stock bars more rise/pullback.

2) The seat. What the fuck were they thinking? I even bought and tried the Gel seat, which gets a double "what the fuck were they thinking".

I can't for the life of me understand why motorcycle manufacturers in general are so interested in keeping Russell, Sargent (great company btw), and the Mayer brothers overflowing with business. Does it really cost that much more to make a decent seat instead of the a vinyl covered ball crushing wedgie device? I rode a Moto Guzzi last weekend that had a wonderful stock seat. In fact, the 2002 Moto Guzzi Le Mans I used to own had a good seat too. There really is no excuse for the abomination Triumph calls a seat on this motorcycle. And for the record, not just Triumph - most motorcycle makers are guilty of this.

Beyond that the T800 has been wonderful. I'm hoping when I tear into it over the next week to do the 12,000 mile service that the valvetrain won't need any shims.
I completely agree! I've got to imagine that there is a ton of markup with Corbin, Sargent etc so you would think that Triumph could spend a little more on the seat and really improve the rider experience. You really don't realize how truly terrible the stock and/or gel seat are until you replace it with a high quality Corbin, Sargent etc.
JWeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #17298
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
I must have a stock butt cause the only seat I can't tolerate is my DR650, the stock was terrible but the Suzuki gel is OK. All my other bikes have been fine.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #17299
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I must have a stock butt cause the only seat I can't tolerate is my DR650, the stock was terrible but the Suzuki gel is OK. All my other bikes have been fine.
I had a DR250. Worst. Seat. Ever. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same or nearly the same seat as your DR650.

While I'll admit to being picky about seats and having trouble finding comfort, the Tiger seat - while not the worst I've ever experienced - is seriously lacking. The foam is wrong, the tilt is wrong, and it puts too much pressure on the tailbone and "sit" bones.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #17300
vanjoosten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
I had a DR250. Worst. Seat. Ever. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same or nearly the same seat as your DR650.

While I'll admit to being picky about seats and having trouble finding comfort, the Tiger seat - while not the worst I've ever experienced - is seriously lacking. The foam is wrong, the tilt is wrong, and it puts too much pressure on the tailbone and "sit" bones.
Did you know the tilt is adjustable? The height adjusters can be placed at different levels to give more or less tilt. Personally, I set it low in back and high in front so I don't put so much pressure on my junk.
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #17301
MXG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
+++ on the stock seat. I can live with the shape, tilt and width, but the foam density???? Are the test riders 60lbs?
MXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #17302
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjoosten View Post
Did you know the tilt is adjustable? The height adjusters can be placed at different levels to give more or less tilt. Personally, I set it low in back and high in front so I don't put so much pressure on my junk.
Of course. But that still doesn't fix the shape or the foam.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #17303
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Anyone else get the recall letter on the turn signal stems? I received mine today, about a year late as far as I'm concerned. My front stems broke soon after I bought the bike over a year ago. I glued them, but eventually bought a cheap after market set as I wasn't going to spend 50 some bucks a piece for a cotton pickin turn signal. As I'm almost 4 hours from my nearest dealer, I'll see if they will send me replacements. If not, I'll just live with what I have unless something else comes up that I have to go to the dealer for. Not sure if I should be happy they admitted they had a problem or ticked that it took them a year to admit that they had a problem.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #17304
vanjoosten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Agreed... The foam is inept
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #17305
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81husky View Post
Anyone else get the recall letter on the turn signal stems? I received mine today, about a year late as far as I'm concerned. My front stems broke soon after I bought the bike over a year ago. I glued them, but eventually bought a cheap after market set as I wasn't going to spend 50 some bucks a piece for a cotton pickin turn signal. As I'm almost 4 hours from my nearest dealer, I'll see if they will send me replacements. If not, I'll just live with what I have unless something else comes up that I have to go to the dealer for. Not sure if I should be happy they admitted they had a problem or ticked that it took them a year to admit that they had a problem.
Got the same letter today; a month after my dealer already repaired them.

A small correction though: only the bases and mount were replaced. You retain your actual signals and wiring. And the parts were around $5 total, which were covered by warranty.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #17306
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Optional "low seat" (no gel) are twice more comfortable than stock. At least for me. I bought mine second hand for about 100 USD and never put original back on after that. 6500 km ride and no single complaint about seat.
No idea why. It has even less foam.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #17307
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Optional "low seat" (no gel) are twice more comfortable than stock. At least for me. I bought mine second hand for about 100 USD and never put original back on after that. 6500 km ride and no single complaint about seat.
No idea why. It has even less foam.
Appreciate the suggestion, but the last thing I want is to lose more leg room. I have a Sargent worldsport front and rear seat on order.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #17308
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,141
Funnily enough it is not really "low seat". It is just flatter at rear part but still...with my 169 cm I have no problems with leg room :)
Unfortunately excellent aftermarket seats do not work for me as they all higher than even standard... so - ergos are definitely different here
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #17309
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Triumph Tiger 800

The seat is not great. My 1050 seat was probably the best stock seat around but the 800...ugh...only made worse by my matted down Alaska leather sheepskin (I need to comb it out). If you get a custom seat then look at the seat cover made by King of Fleece. It keeps my sheepskin and any other seats bone dry. I am going with trying the different height combos for now. My achin' keester
Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #17310
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX View Post
One snafu- the plastic guard thingamabob that blocks the fuel filler decided to take the plunge, and is now inside my tank. My scanalyzing tactics reveal that this is not uncommon across the internet. Insert raspberry here.
Not sure what you are describing and will have to take a look at mine when I get home. Do you mean the rubber gasket around the cap?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote