ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #17311
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Not sure what you are describing and will have to take a look at mine when I get home. Do you mean the rubber gasket around the cap?
I think he's talking about the stop in the filler hole that prevents the fuel nozzle from going into the tank and hitting the fuel pump when you fill the tank.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #17312
NobeyamaGP
Nerdy Adventurer
 
NobeyamaGP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, IN
Oddometer: 108
That's what it sounds like to me. Depending on the age of the Tiger, you may have the 2 metal bars welded in to the filler neck instead of the plastic piece. My '12 800 XC has the metal bars.
__________________
Michael

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
NobeyamaGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #17313
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Comcord
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobeyamaGP View Post
That's what it sounds like to me. Depending on the age of the Tiger, you may have the 2 metal bars welded in to the filler neck instead of the plastic piece. My '12 800 XC has the metal bars.
It fell into the tank at second fill up.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #17314
jimjim
Just another FF!
 
jimjim's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: oHIo
Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I think he's talking about the stop in the filler hole that prevents the fuel nozzle from going into the tank and hitting the fuel pump when you fill the tank.
Oh okay my '12 has the metal bars as did my '11.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #17315
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,268
there is like 8 pages of the filler hole bar discussion somewhere. this thread or maybe the XC offroad thread. some were plastic and they are breaking off and falling into the tank.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #17316
thickwicket
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver BC
Oddometer: 27
My Tiger Speaks

Hello Inmates....

I'm in Tiger heaven on my new '13 XC and amazingly, I have one month off to get to know this bike. As is always the case with a new bike, there are discoveries along the way. I originally posted this on triumphrat.net but thought I would throw it up here and see if anyone has any ideas...

......."I had the time today to go for a 4 hour ride: a mix of highway (keeping the RPMs below 5000 ) and city, some rush-hour traffic (first gear for MILES...) and a quick night-time spin to finish off the day. First of all, I am hearing a strange sound coming from either the front or rear wheel: it sounds like a moan. I know, I know... but that IS what it sounds like. I noticed it at around 2500 RPM, in first gear - it is rhythmic in that it seems to be controlled by the rotation of the wheel. Also, the rear brake makes a sound I can't quite describe...

I have had only one other new bike before this one (and I know all machines have their quirks) and I am determined to just enjoy this bike, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced these noises. You are right, I am breaking in a new bike so I do expect some things will rear up and then fade away as things loosen up a bit...."

Ideas? (And thanks!!)

thickwicket
__________________
If you're too comfortable, you're not breaking new ground

http://daily-201.tumblr.com

Member I.A.T.S.E. 891
thickwicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #17317
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickwicket View Post
Hello Inmates....

I'm in Tiger heaven on my new '13 XC and amazingly, I have one month off to get to know this bike. As is always the case with a new bike, there are discoveries along the way. I originally posted this on triumphrat.net but thought I would throw it up here and see if anyone has any ideas...

......."I had the time today to go for a 4 hour ride: a mix of highway (keeping the RPMs below 5000 ) and city, some rush-hour traffic (first gear for MILES...) and a quick night-time spin to finish off the day. First of all, I am hearing a strange sound coming from either the front or rear wheel: it sounds like a moan. I know, I know... but that IS what it sounds like. I noticed it at around 2500 RPM, in first gear - it is rhythmic in that it seems to be controlled by the rotation of the wheel. Also, the rear brake makes a sound I can't quite describe...

I have had only one other new bike before this one (and I know all machines have their quirks) and I am determined to just enjoy this bike, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced these noises. You are right, I am breaking in a new bike so I do expect some things will rear up and then fade away as things loosen up a bit...."

Ideas? (And thanks!!)

thickwicket
no idea about any of those noises. maybe take it back to the dealer and have them ride it...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #17318
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickwicket View Post
Hello Inmates....

I'm in Tiger heaven on my new '13 XC and amazingly, I have one month off to get to know this bike. As is always the case with a new bike, there are discoveries along the way. I originally posted this on triumphrat.net but thought I would throw it up here and see if anyone has any ideas...

......."I had the time today to go for a 4 hour ride: a mix of highway (keeping the RPMs below 5000 ) and city, some rush-hour traffic (first gear for MILES...) and a quick night-time spin to finish off the day. First of all, I am hearing a strange sound coming from either the front or rear wheel: it sounds like a moan. I know, I know... but that IS what it sounds like. I noticed it at around 2500 RPM, in first gear - it is rhythmic in that it seems to be controlled by the rotation of the wheel. Also, the rear brake makes a sound I can't quite describe...

I have had only one other new bike before this one (and I know all machines have their quirks) and I am determined to just enjoy this bike, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced these noises. You are right, I am breaking in a new bike so I do expect some things will rear up and then fade away as things loosen up a bit...."

Ideas? (And thanks!!)

thickwicket
Check your chain tension, dealers are notorious for over tightening a chain, especially with the longer travel on the XC and with chains, looser is better. You should have 1 1/2" free play. If it's banjo string tight you might be getting a harmonic off it as the suspension goes through it's stroke.

Got a center stand? Check your rear wheel spins freely and no binding of the brake disc. Check alignment of the rear wheel. You can use the string method but I like this Motion Pro tool for that job, makes it quick and easy.



String Alignment method
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #17319
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickwicket View Post
.... I noticed it at around 2500 RPM, in first gear - it is rhythmic in that it seems to be controlled by the rotation of the wheel. Also, the rear brake makes a sound I can't quite describe...

...
thickwicket
Could it be that the rear wheel isn't in alignment, and the brake is rubbing a bit? Can you put it on the center stand (or a stand) and watch the rear wheel spin and listen for the sound?
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #17320
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Check your chain tension, dealers are notorious for over tightening a chain, especially with the longer travel on the XC and with chains, looser is better. You should have 1 1/2" free play. If it's banjo string tight you might be getting a harmonic off it as the suspension goes through it's stroke.

Got a center stand? Check your rear wheel spins freely and no binding of the brake disc. Check alignment of the rear wheel. You can use the string method but I like this Motion Pro tool for that job, makes it quick and easy.



String Alignment method
OOh i like that thing. A zip tie works well too. Just attach it to the swing arm somewhere and see if the wheel hits while spinning...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #17321
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
some call me...tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
And when you get it back, repaired, I hope you're going to make some "brake snakes" which should help prevent the levers doing strange things. Quite common in Enduro circles. Here's my homemade setup using a pushbike brake inner and an electrical screw terminal connector. Total cost = 2.50 for both sides.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtTE08HliM4
Some levers actually come pre-fitted http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/brake-snake

Another observation regarding protecting the foot levers.........none, absolutely NONE of the crashbars available for these bikes offers any protection to the levers.
You know? Some sort of loop just ahead of the levers (refer to above photo) would stop them digging into the dirt in a fall.
Well, after some difficulty, the bike has finally made it into the shop. The diagnosis is as Mr. Chris suggested, the knock broke the detent wheel, which is part #5 in this schematic: http://www.bikebandit.com/2012-trium...4268#sch740799 The part is only $25, but other small parts like the gasket and circlips will need to be replaced. And part of the broken detent wheel is still in the engine, so an oil and filter change will be needed. Basically, looking at ~$300 for parts and labor, which is not covered by warranty. I tried to get it covered, but they wouldn't do it since it wasn't a manufacturing defect. The lady I spoke with at Triumph NA and she gave me the same silver lining rationale that Mr. Chris alluded to: it could be a lot worse with other designs which would require the case to be split in order to get to the mechanism.

So yeah, I'm kinda bummed that such a minor little incident made for such a miserable Sunday outing is costing me $400+. It seems like the Tiger's rugged good looks are actually disguising a glass jaw. I guess it's comforting to know that this isn't a regular issue (the mechanic said he'd never seen it before either), but still, a bummer.

Blacktiger is right about how there's no protection for the levers. I don't know if those brake snakes would have helped in my situation, but they certainly wouldn't hurt either. I'll be attaching some of those when I get the bike back again, for sure. I also wonder if a folding shift lever might have made a difference?
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #17322
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Well, after some difficulty, the bike has finally made it into the shop. The diagnosis is as Mr. Chris suggested, the knock broke the detent wheel, which is part #5 in this schematic: http://www.bikebandit.com/2012-trium...4268#sch740799 The part is only $25, but other small parts like the gasket and circlips will need to be replaced. And part of the broken detent wheel is still in the engine, so an oil and filter change will be needed. Basically, looking at ~$300 for parts and labor, which is not covered by warranty. I tried to get it covered, but they wouldn't do it since it wasn't a manufacturing defect. The lady I spoke with at Triumph NA and she gave me the same silver lining rationale that Mr. Chris alluded to: it could be a lot worse with other designs which would require the case to be split in order to get to the mechanism.

So yeah, I'm kinda bummed that such a minor little incident made for such a miserable Sunday outing is costing me $400+. It seems like the Tiger's rugged good looks are actually disguising a glass jaw. I guess it's comforting to know that this isn't a regular issue (the mechanic said he'd never seen it before either), but still, a bummer.

Blacktiger is right about how there's no protection for the levers. I don't know if those brake snakes would have helped in my situation, but they certainly wouldn't hurt either. I'll be attaching some of those when I get the bike back again, for sure. I also wonder if a folding shift lever might have made a difference?
take it back now if you don't want to spend money on it. or stay on the paved roads for a better chance of not spending money on it. its a tough bike, but still has mechanical parts that can and will break. things happen.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #17323
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
some call me...tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
take it back now if you don't want to spend money on it. or stay on the paved roads for a better chance of not spending money on it. its a tough bike, but still has mechanical parts that can and will break. things happen.
Yeah, I get that. I've already spent a decent amount on things that are supposed to protect it, to help prevent things happening. This was it's first real jaunt into off road terrain, and as such, I wasn't going anywhere too gnarly, or pushing too hard. Just a low speed dump into soft dirt/mud and the bike was rendered useless.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #17324
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,281
broken shifter linkage

A folding shift lever is probably a good recommendation. Add the cable guard thingies as well.

I keep saying this bike is a ROAD BIKE outfited to go off pavement - IT'S NOT A DIRTBIKE. If you dump it and break shit it's gonna cost you.

No matter what kind of guards and protections you install on the bike it's still a 475lb road bike. One look at the air filter tells you that, and a quick glance at the curb weight.

Sorry yours broke, though I do feel for ya.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #17325
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
there is like 8 pages of the filler hole bar discussion somewhere.
That's been my favorite part so far. Talking about the filler hole.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014