Oddometer: 347
Thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #17372
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I saw this too. Now i'm looking for it. Find it yet?
You can find it here.

Note - the box the guy used is too big for the SW Motech racks.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #17373
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
You can find it here.

Note - the box the guy used is too big for the SW Motech racks.
Thanks, I coulda sworn someone did it with HT racks. Oh well.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #17374
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,284
Another maintenance tip for T800 owners with Triumph accessory center stands:

Triumph states you are supposed to remove and grease the center stand bearings (pivots) every 6000 miles. Instead, I loosened the left bolt about a quarter inch, then used a hammer to tap the bolt inward until it bottomed. This pushed the bearing out of the hole in the center stand just enough to allow me to squeeze some grease into the gap. I then retourqed the bolt and repeated the procedure for the other side. I had the motorcycle up on the center stand the entire time. Total time was about 5 minutes, which beats the hell out of removing and reinstalling the center stand to accomplish the same thing.

Enjoy!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #17375
outagas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
greasing

dont have a stand myself but i am a engineer ! if its a continuous tube between the bearings? why not buy a 1/4" grease nipple, drill and tap a hole in the tube then insert the grease nipple?

cant believe triumph wouldnt have thought of this!

youd never have to remove it again for greasing!

Lee.
outagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #17376
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by outagas View Post
dont have a stand myself but i am a engineer ! if its a continuous tube between the bearings? why not buy a 1/4" grease nipple, drill and tap a hole in the tube then insert the grease nipple?

cant believe triumph wouldnt have thought of this!

youd never have to remove it again for greasing!

Lee.
Nope, two separate sleeves.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #17377
outagas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
could still do it as long as both ends are sealed?

Lee.
outagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #17378
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outagas View Post
could still do it as long as both ends are sealed?

Lee.
They are thin sleeves without enough extra room to drill, tap, and attach a grease fitting.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #17379
KsTiger
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Help - Center Stand Recall - Too Short or Bad Install?

I had the new center stand (recall) installed on my 800XC 3 weeks ago. Like an idiot I did not test at the shop before leaving (idiot, I know). Put the bike on the center stand a few minutes ago for the first time and it is so short it does not lift the back or front tires off the ground. I knew something was wrong as it took no effort to put on the stand. I also noticed black paint on the garage floor where the stand slid a bit. Did they forget to install rubber plates on the bottom of the stand or did they just install the wrong stand? Additionally, it appears there is a bolt missing on the Upstop Bracket (plate that extends backward from the side kickstand). Can someone post a picture of their recalled center stand from the left hand side of the bike? Unfortunately my dealer is over 200 miles away.

FBJ913, we bought our bikes at the same shop in KC. Hoping you will reply with your thoughts on this situation. Please be kind, I am already kicking myself for not testing before leaving. Bad experience at the shop and left frustrated, even more reason to have tested.

Regards,
KsTiger

KsTiger screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 09:48 PM
KsTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #17380
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,978
Did they put a roadie stand on a XC?

The bottom of the legs are painted when new, will scratch off when used. No rubber where they touch the ground.

The part that extends back on the left side is the top stop, where the stand tops out. It has a rubber bumper on it, probably where the hole is you're seeing.

I'll see if I can find a diagram.

EDIT: Okay, here's the centerstand diagram. There is a short and a long centerstand - one for roadie and one for XC. If yours doesn't lift the bike they put the short one on. Seems your dealer is an idiot. LOL Just have them ship you the right one. Take the wrong one off and send it back. Put a couple of tie-down straps between two poles or stationary object to hold the bike up while you RR the stand. You have to remove the side stand to install the center. Otherwise it's a pretty easy job.

In this diagram the top is the left side. So item 3 is the part that extends back behind the left footpeg - it's where the stand stops when stowed in the up position. A rubber bump stop (7) is what the stand hits when stowed.

Rubber bump stops number 7 on the stand legs are to keep the stand from hitting the swingarm when fully extended - as in no weight, like going over a bump. Yes, it's a crappy design, but it does work. As long as the bumpers are there it is reasonably quiet.

browneye screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 09:59 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #17381
KsTiger
n00b

Thank you Browneye, I bet you are correct about them installing the roadie stand instead of the XC. My upstop bracket has the rubber stopper, the missing bolt is just behind the side stand on the up stop bracket.

KsTiger
Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #17382
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsTiger View Post
I had the new center stand (recall) installed on my 800XC 3 weeks ago. Like an idiot I did not test at the shop before leaving (idiot, I know). Put the bike on the center stand a few minutes ago for the first time and it is so short it does not lift the back or front tires off the ground. I knew something was wrong as it took no effort to put on the stand. I also noticed black paint on the garage floor where the stand slid a bit. Did they forget to install rubber plates on the bottom of the stand or did they just install the wrong stand? Additionally, it appears there is a bolt missing on the Upstop Bracket (plate that extends backward from the side kickstand). Can someone post a picture of their recalled center stand from the left hand side of the bike? Unfortunately my dealer is over 200 miles away.

FBJ913, we bought our bikes at the same shop in KC. Hoping you will reply with your thoughts on this situation. Please be kind, I am already kicking myself for not testing before leaving. Bad experience at the shop and left frustrated, even more reason to have tested.

Regards,
KsTiger
You had the stand installed in Kansas City? They are usually pretty good about maintenance stuff. Sounds like a good excuse to ride 200 miles today I know that's probably not on your list of things to do today. I'll PM you some details and who to talk to. They read this forum sometimes too as the owner has an 800xc... I'm sure they will make it right. I think the above posters are correct. You got a rodie stand.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #17383
KsTiger
n00b

Thanks Guys for the replies. I agree it must be the roadie stand and have contacted the dealer. Awaiting a call back.

Have a great weekend,
KsTiger
Old 06-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #17384
Bueller
Cashin?

Next project - Handlebars.

I already have Rox Risers, but due to ongoing tendon issues in both elbows I'm going to try to further improve ergonomics. I'm going to be using a set of Fly Racing Aero Tapered Mini bars:

These are narrow bars similar to their "woods" version, but with a couple additional degrees of sweep. Since handlebar measurement techniques vary from one manufacturer to the next, it's a partial guess as to exactly what I will gain in terms of pullback, sweep, rise, etc. But I do know these bars are 60mm narrower than stock, which means the grips will be moved in about 1.2" on each side. I should gain an additional inch or more of height over stock, and combined with the additional sweep may have the bars a couple inches back. I may or may not ditch the Rox risers. I will have to drill holes for the heated grip wiring, and tap the inside of the bars to accommodate the triumph bar inserts. A bit of work, but it should be worth it.

This is what this series of handlebar looks like, though this is not the mini version I purchased:

They should arrive later this week.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #17385
KsTiger
n00b

Dealer agreed it must be the roadie stand and will ship me the XC stand next week. Thanks again for the quick replies and have a great weekend.