ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #17386
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
and tap the inside of the bars to accommodate the triumph bar inserts.
This is your chance to change the hand guards or just use the Barkbuster fitting kit inserts to mount your existing ones. http://www.chainspeed.co.uk/products...tting-Kit.html
__________________
3 - 1 black Tigers. 955i+800XC (sold)+800XC=113000 miles of fun.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #17387
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
This is your chance to change the hand guards or just use the Barkbuster fitting kit inserts to mount your existing ones. http://www.chainspeed.co.uk/products...tting-Kit.html
The bike doesn't see any hard core off road use, so I'm fine with continuing to use the stock hand guards. I am interested in the inserts though, but I need to better understand how I can use them in conjunction with the triumph heated grips and internal wiring. Anyone done this before?
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #17388
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer
 
KildareMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: County Kildare, Ireland
Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
The bike doesn't see any hard core off road use, so I'm fine with continuing to use the stock hand guards. I am interested in the inserts though, but I need to better understand how I can use them in conjunction with the triumph heated grips and internal wiring. Anyone done this before?
Can't see any way you can use the BarkBuster Spines with the Triumph oem (totally shite) handguards. They are completely different shapes. The barkbusters do not effect the heated grips in any way.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #17389
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Can't see any way you can use the BarkBuster Spines with the Triumph oem (totally shite) handguards. They are completely different shapes. The barkbusters do not effect the heated grips in any way.
What about the barkbuster handlebar inserts? Do they interfere with the heated grip wiring that runs inside the handlebars?
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #17390
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
What about the barkbuster handlebar inserts? Do they interfere with the heated grip wiring that runs inside the handlebars?
I'm not sure what inserts you're referring to, but I have the Barkbusters with the OEM heated grips and there's no issue.
__________________
-Lee
NE ADV Event Calendar (Request Additions here.)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #17391
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,402
here is what i accomplished today! i'm way happier with this than that shotty tool tube! also rode in the pouring rain on these dirty north dakota highways. it looks like i rode through 100 muddy puddles.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #17392
Moonsorrow
Jesus
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Dutch Delta
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
here is what i accomplished today! i'm way happier with this than that shotty tool tube! also rode in the pouring rain on these dirty north dakota highways. it looks like i rode through 100 muddy puddles.

Nicely done! However, I do wonder about the chain grease. I dont know about your bike but with me everything in that area gets covered in dots of grease in no time. I am still looking for a solution to that (other than not greasing the chain...).
Moonsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #17393
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
Nicely done! However, I do wonder about the chain grease. I dont know about your bike but with me everything in that area gets covered in dots of grease in no time. I am still looking for a solution to that (other than not greasing the chain...).
you use grease on your chain? or are you just talking about normal chain lube. after the lube is dry it shouldn't fling around. on the o-ring chains you don't need much. just enough to keep the thing from rusting away. i don't want to get into another chain lube discussion... but some riders say WD-40 is all you need for an o-ring chain. search the web and you will find many opinions.
also, i dont expect it to stay clean. its on a motorcycle after all...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #17394
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
advtenn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: East TN.
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
you use grease on your chain? or are you just talking about normal chain lube. after the lube is dry it shouldn't fling around. on the o-ring chains you don't need much. just enough to keep the thing from rusting away. i don't want to get into another chain lube discussion... but some riders say WD-40 is all you need for an o-ring chain. search the web and you will find many opinions.
also, i dont expect it to stay clean. its on a motorcycle after all...
From my expierence, WD-40 on a KLR chain every few hundred miles and again after pressure washing the chain got me 20,000 miles. I then replaced the chain and both sprockets.

I have been using WD-40 on the Tiger, but its flinging onto the hard parts.

It didn't fling as much on the KLR.
__________________
bikes guns and shine


"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #17395
Moonsorrow
Jesus
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Dutch Delta
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
you use grease on your chain? or are you just talking about normal chain lube. after the lube is dry it shouldn't fling around. on the o-ring chains you don't need much. just enough to keep the thing from rusting away. i don't want to get into another chain lube discussion... but some riders say WD-40 is all you need for an o-ring chain. search the web and you will find many opinions.
also, i dont expect it to stay clean. its on a motorcycle after all...
Well, at the moment I'm testing a Loobman chain oiler using regular engine oil. I Find that any bags mounted on the rack get dirty really quick (okay might be oiling too much I know). I dont mind getting my hands dirty but to have your hands covered with dirty engine oil everytime you get something from the box isnt working for me.
Moonsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #17396
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
From my expierence, WD-40 on a KLR chain every few hundred miles and again after pressure washing the chain got me 20,000 miles. I then replaced the chain and both sprockets.

I have been using WD-40 on the Tiger, but its flinging onto the hard parts.

It didn't fling as much on the KLR.
Sigh. WD-40 is not a lubricant; any resemblance or behavior similar to that of a lubricant is purely coincidental.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #17397
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
Well, at the moment I'm testing a Loobman chain oiler using regular engine oil. I Find that any bags mounted on the rack get dirty really quick (okay might be oiling too much I know). I dont mind getting my hands dirty but to have your hands covered with dirty engine oil everytime you get something from the box isnt working for me.
yeah I recommend you stop this, like, immediately. that oil can get on your tires, disk brakes, etc... causing major issues to your health after you can't stop or slide into a ditch. you don't need that much lube for an o-ring chain! I'm sure others will chime in too.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #17398
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
From my expierence, WD-40 on a KLR chain every few hundred miles and again after pressure washing the chain got me 20,000 miles. I then replaced the chain and both sprockets.

I have been using WD-40 on the Tiger, but its flinging onto the hard parts.

It didn't fling as much on the KLR.
if i use wd-40 its followed by a wire brush to clean and get rid of rust. this would help your flinging issue.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #17399
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
advtenn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: East TN.
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Sigh. WD-40 is not a lubricant; any resemblance or behavior similar to that of a lubricant is purely coincidental.

I agree that its not a lubricant.

But WD-40 is inexpensive and 20,000 is ok with me.
__________________
bikes guns and shine


"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian

advtenn screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 07:05 AM Reason: still learning to spell
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #17400
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
Well, at the moment I'm testing a Loobman chain oiler using regular engine oil. I Find that any bags mounted on the rack get dirty really quick (okay might be oiling too much I know). I dont mind getting my hands dirty but to have your hands covered with dirty engine oil everytime you get something from the box isnt working for me.
I'm using a loobman too. I originally used gear oil in the hopes that it wouldn't fling, but it didn't seem to matter. I have switched to ATF due to the high detergent attributes, which makes the chain virtually self cleaning.

It's another subject altogether, but I'm unimpressed with the loobman. Another case of "you get what you pay for". The theory is simple enough, but it dumps too much oil in too short of a period of time, and you can wind up with a nicely lubricated rear tire. Assuming my new handlebars fix the last of my ergonomics issues I will get a Scott E-oiler.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015