User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #17386
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,076
Some final notes about my 12k service -

After going through the bike and doing pretty much everything Triumph recommends, I've come to the conclusion that at least with my usage I could effectively double the mileage interval on most of the recommended items with no ill effects. The items that really needed to be done at the recommended time/mileage on my bike were the air filter, oil & filter, and brake fluid change. The jury's still out on the coolant, which looked fine but I replaced it because it was two years old. The coolant itself is a whole other subject. Triumph recommends an ethylene glycol HOAT coolant. Good luck finding that in the typical auto parts store nowadays. Due to the "coolant confusion" of the '90's and 2000's all of the big name antifreeze peddlers are selling coolant labeled for "all makes, all models, all years" in an effort to capitalize on consumer frustration. Is it really compatible with everything? I don't know, but I bought a jug of Prestone so I suppose I'll find out. It is an ethylene glycol base "extended life" coolant, but has some other chemicals on the label too. Hopefully it will be ok.

The suspension linkage was fine and easily could have made it to the 24k service, but I took it all apart and greased everything anyway as the maintenance schedule indicated. I probably won't touch it again for a very long time.

I will check the valves at 24k again just to see if they've moved at all. If not, I'll probably move to 24k valve check intervals, assuming I would keep the bike long enough to get there.

I haven't priced having the service done at the dealer, but I would imagine if they followed the book and did everything recommended it would be expensive. I took my time today, but when all was said and done had several hours into the job.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #17387
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Road trip mileage

Just got back from a 2500km road trip. Highways and back roads. I was happy with my mileage on the first leg of the trip, 55mpg Imperial, but on the way home today I averaged 62mpg on two tanks of gas, again that's Imperial but thats still 52mpg US and bloody amazing. Speeds were a little higher going out around 130-140km/h and I was going slower coming back around 110-120km/h but this was over several 5-7000' mountain passes on twisty mountain roads so I wasn't taking it easy trying to get good mileage either.

Running the latest tune 653, bone stock.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #17388
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Have anyone installed Universal Mud guard from Touartech? I found OE Triumph one in AU, but shipping is gonna kill the deal.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #17389
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I will check the valves at 24k again just to see if they've moved at all. If not, I'll probably move to 24k valve check intervals, assuming I would keep the bike long enough to get there.

For what it's worth -- last time I checked the valves on my Tiger (at about 27,000 miles) they were in spec. I'm now at about 39,000 miles and will check them again in the near future, and I expect they'll still be in spec. Bike continues to run great, and I have no doubt it'll continue to for a long time to come.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014

markbvt screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 07:06 AM
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #17390
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Running the latest tune 653, bone stock.
I'm not so certain whether I like the latest map. I could be imagining it but it seems like it has added some slight surging running at lower revs (<3k rpm) which is annoying in city traffic.

Overall my mileage is very decent. Lifetime mileage over 9852 miles is just a bit over 50mpg (4.7L/100km). Mileage on my 3.5k miles road trip was 53.8mpg (4.37L/100km). Wife's F650GS was ~20% better though ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #17391
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Finally got the bike back this weekend. It's good to have that ordeal behind me. Here's a pic of the sonofabitchin' detent wheel that got everything started:

You can see the broken dog, that's what wouldn't let me shift. The broken piece ended up falling into the sump, and the mechanic wasn't able to get it out with a couple oil changes or fishing around with a magnet. He ended up taking the sump off and found it nestled in a corner, so I'm glad he went the extra mile to search for it. Of course, it was another hour's worth of labor, but he said it actually took him the better part of 3 hours to get the sump off and on (first time doing it on a Tiger, apparently). The other piece in the picture--I'm not sure what it's called or what it does exactly, but its part of the assembly as well. You can see a bit of scoring on it, so he went ahead and replaced that too.

The detent wheel itself was only like $25, but when all was said and done with the parts and labor, and including the towing, this little ordeal set me back $530+. I'm glad to have the bike back, but man, this has sucked.

I'd hoped that I'd gotten footage of the actual wreck, but no such luck. I do, however have some anticlimactic footage of rolling down to get to the main FS road. You can see that it wasn't any sort of brutal terrain.

some call me...tim screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 08:47 AM
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #17392
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
For what it's worth -- last time I checked the valves on my Tiger (at about 27,000 miles) they were in spec. I'm now at about 39,000 miles and will check them again in the near future, and I expect they'll still be in spec. Bike continues to run great, and I have no doubt it'll continue to for a long time to come.

--mark
On the subject of valve checks, what type of feeler gauges are you guys using? I had both a standard flat set and also a set with a 45 degree bend in them but I found both pretty tough to access under the cam lobes. Just wondering if there is something better than what I was using.

FWIW, I checked mine a few thousand miles ago at round 14k miles on they were all in spec.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #17393
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
On the subject of valve checks, what type of feeler gauges are you guys using? I had both a standard flat set and also a set with a 45 degree bend in them but I found both pretty tough to access under the cam lobes. Just wondering if there is something better than what I was using.

FWIW, I checked mine a few thousand miles ago at round 14k miles on they were all in spec.
I tried using both when I did the valves on my wife's Street Triple and same as you had a b!tch of a time on a few of the valves.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #17394
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 125
Sargent Seat

Just got my seat on. It takes a major wack with fist to get the rear seat to latch. Called Sargent and suggested they consider a very thin shim under that latch when riveting it to the seat. They say it will loosen up with use. Had a Corbin on a Valkyrie with the same issue. Also have to wack it when turning the key to unlatch.

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #17395
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Tat View Post
Just got my seat on. It takes a major wack with fist to get the rear seat to latch. Called Sargent and suggested they consider a very thin shim under that latch when riveting it to the seat. They say it will loosen up with use. Had a Corbin on a Valkyrie with the same issue. Also have to wack it when turning the key to unlatch.
So other than that, how's the seat? Is it an improvement? It has to be.
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #17396
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Have anyone installed Universal Mud guard from Touartech? I found OE Triumph one in AU, but shipping is gonna kill the deal.
I have one that is still new. Tried the placement and if you want to fiddle around a bit, it may work. It wasn't an easy solution for me. I can sell it to you if interested.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #17397
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

The intake valves are easy, but it is indeed tough to get a standard set of feeler gauges (both straight and 45 degree type) in there to check the exhaust valve clearance. I have a set of smaller craftsman feeler gauges that are a bit less than half the width of the standard size, but they are straight. I bent them to work. They were originally intended for setting plug gap, and I didn't care that I sacrificed them for this bike. They worked better, but there's probably not anything that will make it easy.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #17398
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
I have one that is still new. Tried the placement and if you want to fiddle around a bit, it may work. It wasn't an easy solution for me. I can sell it to you if interested.
Why exactly didn't you like it?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #17399
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
I'm a lazy ass and if something doesn't bolt right on, I don't have the skill, patience or time to tinker with it.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #17400
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

You kinda long ways away from me