ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #17416
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,358
I've had my Owner's handbook stuffed under the rear seat for 15,000 miles and zero problems. Then one day I look at it and its soaking wet and moldy ... So, I leave it out to dry. It recovered pretty well except for the very center page. It's got the worst mold. I ripped it out this morning and now am going to just put the handbook back in the bike (in a plastic bag this time). While going through this I found a little bit of riding advice from Triumph. Enjoy! (I hope you learn something!)
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #17417
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Put Full Bore tires on the Roadie. Running 42/36 PSI F/R. Very heavy steering at slow pace and I have to push much more to turn at higher speeds. Never had anything like this even with 606 knobbies on KLR. WTF?!
First things first, try reversing those pressures. 42 rear, 36 front.

I actually find the Full Bores to be very light-steering tires.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #17418
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Comcord
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
First things first, try reversing those pressures. 42 rear, 36 front.

I actually find the Full Bores to be very light-steering tires.

--mark
Duh! Brain fart. That's what I meant to type. 36/42 f/r.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #17419
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,636
Fullbore usa tires

I've put 3K + miles on the FB's without issue - XC though with the skinny 21" front. In fact, they are hard to tell from the scorp trails except for a slight vibe right about 18-20mph, particularly on decel. Otherwise they are neutral, great on road and dirt.

They look to be about 60% worn at 3K, so I'm thinking 4-5K mile life. Running them on the freeway flattens out the rear.

The wider 19" front may contribut to a more heavy feeling. I'll bet you'll forget it after a few hundred miles.

Make sure your pressure gauge is accurate.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #17420
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
They look to be about 60% worn at 3K, so I'm thinking 4-5K mile life. Running them on the freeway flattens out the rear.
Funny thing about the 150/70-17 Full Bore: you may find that around 5000 miles it looks like it's nearly toast, but then the wear seriously slows down and you can end up getting another 1500 miles or more out of it before there's no longer any tread left in the middle.

Granted, it's basically just a street tire at that point, but still...

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #17421
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Comcord
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Make sure your pressure gauge is accurate.
For $60 it better be damn accurate!

BTW, how's FB in the rain (on road)? With about 100 miles on them right now, I can spin rear easily. I hope they get better with more miles.

rrr70 screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 09:38 AM
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #17422
Bugchewer
Piece of Work
 
Bugchewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
Oddometer: 555
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Funny thing about the 150/70-17 Full Bore: you may find that around 5000 miles it looks like it's nearly toast, but then the wear seriously slows down and you can end up getting another 1500 miles or more out of it before there's no longer any tread left in the middle.

Granted, it's basically just a street tire at that point, but still...

--mark
Ha..Mark you would ride on rubber bands to get a ride in and still make them work! lol I appreciate your info because I am going to FB's after the Scorpions are scorched. I'm splitting time bewteen Scram and XC and getting ready for the "dirty ride" at the BTB (Bennington TIGER Bash)
__________________
It seems humans would rather die than change or admit that they are mistaken - Richard Rohr
Bugchewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #17423
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Funny thing about the 150/70-17 Full Bore: you may find that around 5000 miles it looks like it's nearly toast, but then the wear seriously slows down and you can end up getting another 1500 miles or more out of it before there's no longer any tread left in the middle.

Granted, it's basically just a street tire at that point, but still...

--mark
Yeah, I'm not a mileage squeezer. I'll usually install new tires for an upcoming ride or event when they get to about an eighth inch of tread left.

Quote:
BTW, how's FB in the rain (on road)? With about 100 miles on them right now, I can spin rear easily. I hope they get better with more miles.
I've never spun the rear, but never tried hard. I don't ride real aggressive on road with that type of tire. I'm pretty sure the rubber cures and hardens up with some miles, but can't tell you if they'll be real sticky compared to the Pirellis. I can tell you I take mine off for all road riding - go back to the scorps. I like them better for all pavement. But they're not nearly as good as the FB's off pavement.

Cannot tell you about rain either, I'm in southern California - it never rains here.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #17424
theDub
Adventurer
 
theDub's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Lake Tahoe, CA
Oddometer: 41
I've searched this massive thread and didn't find a definitive answer:

I plan to swap the XC risers on to my roadie for just a little more bar height as I've read many people have successfully done.

I imagine that I also need to buy the front bolts from the XC as they are longer which is needed to pass through the larger riser and secure it to the top triple. I see they are a different part number than the roadie front bolts. Is this correct? Should I buy 2 #7s from this parts diagram in addition to the riser it's self?
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #17425
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
I imagine that I also need to buy the front bolts from the XC as they are longer which is needed to pass through the larger riser and secure it to the top triple. I see they are a different part number than the roadie front bolts. Is this correct?
That's correct. You need two longer bolts (the ones from the XC).
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #17426
theDub
Adventurer
 
theDub's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Lake Tahoe, CA
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That's correct. You need two longer bolts (the ones from the XC).
Thanks for the confirmation.

I finally found what I was looking for in post #7301.

I'm pretty good an interneting, and I find it nearly impossible to find exactly what you are looking for in the vast vastness that is this thread. Do the mods just merge every new thread about the Tiger into this enormous one? I would argue that it would make it much easier to find the information you are seeking using the forum's search feature if they just left each new thread to exist on it's own.
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #17427
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,863
I also don't like it very much that we have such a monster thread. Would very much prefer an area for Triumph bikes.

But using the Google-foo really helps, type this into Google search field:

site:advrider.com inurl:t=599070 Tiger XC risers on Roadie

and you get some pretty good results quickly. If you're on the Mac you can also use LaunchBar to pre-define a search that already specifies advrider.com and the thread itself, then you only need to type the search term.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #17428
theDub
Adventurer
 
theDub's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Lake Tahoe, CA
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I also don't like it very much that we have such a monster thread. Would very much prefer an area for Triumph bikes.

But using the Google-foo really helps, type this into Google search field:

site:advrider.com inurl:t=599070 Tiger XC risers on Roadie

and you get some pretty good results quickly. If you're on the Mac you can also use LaunchBar to pre-define a search that already specifies advrider.com and the thread itself, then you only need to type the search term.
Yeah, I read the sticky on the google tricks to search specific threads, etc.

The problem with that (for me) is that I don't use the forum default of 15 posts per page. I use 100 posts per page because I don't like having to load the next page after reading just 15 posts in a long thread. Therefore the google results always send me to the wrong page. (My Tiger 800 thread is only 175 pages long instead of 1,166)
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #17429
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
advtenn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: East TN.
Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
if i use wd-40 its followed by a wire brush to clean and get rid of rust. this would help your flinging issue.
I'll give it a try. thanks
__________________
bikes guns and shine


"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #17430
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
The problem with that (for me) is that I don't use the forum default of 15 posts per page. I use 100 posts per page because I don't like having to load the next page after reading just 15 posts in a long thread. Therefore the google results always send me to the wrong page. (My Tiger 800 thread is only 175 pages long instead of 1,166)
Ah, getting fancy. Easy solution: use a different browser (or switch your browser to "private" mode) for the search so that your log in cookie isn't sent. That means you get forum defaults for the search links. After that you can use the post id.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015