Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #17506
kennedy762
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
If you think the stock windscreen is worth a darn, you're crazy... I just replaced that piece of junk with a Madstad wind screen and it is phenomenal!!!! For anyone considering a new windshield, Madstad is a great buy, and was installed in less than 15 minutes.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #17507
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
So here's a stupid question: I registered on the Triumph website. They have my VIN. Why couldn't they tell me about outstanding recalls?
I got a call from someone.. either Triumph or the dealer asking for a correction in my address so they could send the blinker stem recall to me via regular mail. That was weeks ago and still haven't heard from them.

On another note, how many actual recalls are there? The blinker stem is the first isn't it?
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #17508
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Interesting. Care to expand? Obviously, I haven't read those posts over there...

Bit of on-topic: Called a local dealer. They know nothing about fuel lines disconnecting, but there are two outstanding recalls on my bike, one for the centerstand bumper and one for the shifter return spring.

So here's a stupid question: I registered on the Triumph website. They have my VIN. Why couldn't they tell me about outstanding recalls?
Both of those items I believe (certainly the return spring) are service bulletins and not recall items. The turn signal stalk item is a recall item (safety=lawsuit) which is why people are being notified without any prompting. Service bulletins are not mandatory.

It's up to the individual to find out about service bulletins. There used to be a function on the triumph website where you could look up any service bulletins for your bike - no more. They obviously do this to reduce costs so fewer people get the bulletins done. It's bullshit and I told a rep a triumph how incredibly pissed I would if I were to break down due to a service bulletin issue that had I known about I would have addressed before potentially breaking down. I said ~"so now I get to waste my time and your time by having to call customer service and ask you about any outstanding technical service bulletins instead of just looking it up on the website?" "yes, when you bring your bike into your dealer for service they should check for any outstanding bulletins." So, if you do your own work you need to keep up to date on any issues on your own. Luckily thanks to forums like this word gets spread pretty quick about new bulletins.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #17509
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
My point was that the Full Bore rear will take a surprisingly long time to go from that "hmm, going to have to replace it soon" point to actually needing to be replaced.

--mark
Mark,
After wearing out two sets of TKC80/K60 combos, I thought I'd give Full Bore's a try. Better on road than the set above and serve well enough for anything but deep mud or sand. (lowering pressure to 25/30 helped a lot for this)

I'm still on my first set of FB's...when will they wear out?
I've read 4-5k is about average.

Have you used up a set of FB's yet?
If they are like most tires, as the riding gets hotter, they seem to melt away in the middle of the trip....
The rear on mine was about half gone by 2800 miles. Now at 4500 miles I can't seem to wear it out. I did a 1000 miles a couple weekends ago and there was no noticeable loss of tread depth on the rear.

I've got a new set ready and a 2-3k trip planned in two weeks. I probably can't expect to 7000, can I?
They are pretty in inexpensive, but changing them now leaves 10-20% of the tread unused.
strider.deano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #17510
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Mark,
After wearing out two sets of TKC80/K60 combos, I thought I'd give Full Bore's a try. Better on road than the set above and serve well enough for anything but deep mud or sand. (lowering pressure to 25/30 helped a lot for this)

If they are like most tires, as the riding gets hotter, they seem to melt away in the middle of the trip....
The rear on mine was about half gone by 2800 miles. Now at 4500 miles I can't seem to wear it out. I did a 1000 miles a couple weekends ago and there was no noticeable loss of tread depth on the rear.

I've got a new set ready and a 2-3k trip planned in two weeks. I probably can't expect to 7000, can I?
They are pretty in inexpensive, but changing them now leaves 10-20% of the tread unused.
Change 'em...they're cheap.

They are a surprisingly good tire, especially at those prices.

I thought about trying out the new karoo 3's, but $350 for a set? OMFG. I'll just use the FB's. The karoos aren't gonna last twice as long. Same for Heidi's, too stiff and too much $$. Yeah, they last longer, but who wants to run a tire for thousands of miles that's almost worn out??
Old 06-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #17511
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeier View Post
OUCH! see above, I've already installed a pelican. Cost me $45.
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #17512
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Mark,

I also run the FB tires and am happy with how they run and wear. I run them at 28/24 off road. My only complaint is with the front and how it tracks, or doesn't track. I'll be getting a more aggressive front as it seams every time I go down it's because the front didn't track, especially in the mud or loose sand.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #17513
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:

I've used up several. I got a little over 7000 miles out of the first one (that was all commuting, day rides, etc) and about 5500 out of the second one (that included a 4000-mile Labrador/Newfoundland trip). The one on my XC now has a little over 6000 miles on it, which includes a 3000-mile trip, and I'll be replacing it in the next few days.

It stands to reason, of course, that a tire will wear faster on a trip because it's getting heated up more, for longer sustained periods, than when doing shorter day rides or commuting.

Quote:
While the rear would probably make it, it would be pretty much bald in the middle by that point, so I'd replace it before leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I also run the FB tires and am happy with how they run and wear. I run them at 28/24 off road. My only complaint is with the front and how it tracks, or doesn't track. I'll be getting a more aggressive front as it seams every time I go down it's because the front didn't track, especially in the mud or loose sand.
Try the IRC TR8 knobby on the front -- I ran that combination on the Trans-Labrador Highway and really liked it. Works great on pavement, grips well on dirt, and wears at about the same rate as the FB rear.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #17514
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
OUCH! see above, I've already installed a pelican. Cost me $45.
And add the cost of the HT Tool Rack-$50 plus shipping....
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #17515
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,287
Front Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post

Try the IRC TR8 knobby on the front -- I ran that combination on the Trans-Labrador Highway and really liked it. Works great on pavement, grips well on dirt, and wears at about the same rate as the FB rear.

--mark
Any 50/50 tire will wash out on dirt or soft surfaces. Since the front is so easy to change out consider a 50/50 tire on the back, match one on the front for mostly road, then change out to a dot knobby when you're going to be doing a lot of off pavement.

The TR8 is a decent tire, it resists cupping quite well. Certainly a lot better than a D606. An even better tire is the Pirelli Scorpion Rally. It works fine on road but grips like velcro off. I haven't run one on the tiger, but put about 3500 miles on one on my husky. check 'em out.

Alternatively, a TKC80 for the front. Just beware the sidewall is soft so if you air down at all you risk pinch flats. The rally doesn't do that. The TKC's are well liked for road and reasonable offroad - a favorite of the GS crowd.

The D908 is another one to consider. Well liked by the 950-990 ktm guys, but any that have run the rally like it better. The rear rally is not favored as much and doesn't come in tiger size anyway.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #17516
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
And add the cost of the HT Tool Rack-$50 plus shipping....
Oh ya, i forgot about that , mine cost 0 pennies. , so, I'm still in for $40 . That would be a very simple piece to fab.
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #17517
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Thanks Mark and fbj, for the input. Although I only have about 2.3K on the set, I'll be swapping the front soon. I do ride a good bit of street but get off piste enough to not mind a little reduced front pavement performance for more dirt piece of mind. The full bore won't be lonely sitting next to the original tires that have bout 1K miles on them...

Unless anyone out there wants a cheap set of stock tires Before I get bored and burn up the rear My neighbors pissed me off last weekend, may be time to retaliate and smoke them out

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
Old 06-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #17518
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Figured out the issue I had with bike refusing to turn after installing Full Bore tires. Like a dumbass that I am, I somehow managed to put 30PSI in the front tire. No wonder it handled like shit on the road.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #17519
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Figured out the issue I had with bike refusing to turn after installing Full Bore tires. Like a dumbass that I am, I somehow managed to put 30PSI in the front tire. No wonder it handled like shit on the road.
So what did you put it up to?

Lord John Whorfin
Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #17520
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
so what did you put it up to?
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote