Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #17566
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
You currently ride other bikes that this doesn't happen or previous bikes?
Yes, I do from time to time. And no, I normally don't have issues on these bikes if I have not ridden my Tiger in the days before.

Quote:
Pack some ibuprofin, I never leave home without it. I'm only 33 and my shoulder/ neck area and wrists ache like a SOB half way through a long day ride.
Sorry, but I'm not in the medicate for everything camp. Every single medication I take is very carefully considered (meaning I rarely take anything at all). And if I had to take pain medication every time I ride the bike I'd give up riding. But let's not start an argument around that, let's just say it's not a solution I would even consider.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #17567
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,636
Yeah Cug, maybe it's not the bike...maybe it's just your shoulder! And old age. LOL.

All I'm saying it maybe it has nothing to do with the bike. Seems to me your wife/GF has a 650 beemer or something? If you swap bikes does the pain go away?

I'm getting closer to 60 than 50, and I can tell you I ache all over after a full day in the saddle. It doesn't matter what I'm riding.

I have a herniated disc lumbar 4-5. The Versys used to give me migrains from time to time. This was one of my primary reasons for going with the XC - soft rear suspension. It doesn't bother my back from jarring. I'm fine on the dualsport - when it gets rough at all I stand up. As long as my muscles are 'hot' I don't have back pain. Sitting for long distances puts me at greatest risk.

Though I do recall a Tiger owner selling his roadie that was pretty new, about the time I was looking to buy. Thought about buying his, but the selling price wasn't low enough to warrant flying to Dallas and riding it back to So-Cal. He would get a ache between his shoulders after a short time on the bike, and no matter what he did it didn't get better so he sold it.

Hope you get it worked out.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Sorry, but I'm not in the medicate for everything camp. Every single medication I take is very carefully considered (meaning I rarely take anything at all). And if I had to take pain medication every time I ride the bike I'd give up riding. But let's not start an argument around that, let's just say it's not a solution I would even consider.
^^This. I'd rather suffer a bit - it's my body telling me to stop what I'm doing that's irritating it. If you numb it down then you can't tell when you're really damaging something. If my back is killing me then I'll take a couple of IB's. I have flexerils, vicodin, ib 800's, a plethora of drugs - just hate taking them. Sometimes I get shooting flaming pain in my knee, I know that's a pinched nerve. I thought I had shingles one time - went to the doc and he said nerves in the middle of my back were causing the pain, not shingles. A little 'puff' now and then is a different story. LOL.

browneye screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 11:38 AM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #17568
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Yes, I do from time to time. And no, I normally don't have issues on these bikes if I have not ridden my Tiger in the days before.

Yea I hear ya, I actually feel the same as you on medication but specifically with riding/wakeboarding/skiing I have come to grips it isnt normal wear and tear on my body it's a lot of moving, shaking, rattling and limited variations of extended ergo positions. Have yet to come home feeling more refreshed and energized than when I left. More like a hot shower and a cold beer later

hope you figure it out Cug
Old 07-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #17569
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yeah Cug, maybe it's not the bike...maybe it's just your shoulder! And old age. LOL.
No doubt about that one ...

Although, 43 (not quite, but close enough) isn't old enough to have these issues in my opinion.

I have ridden the F650GS (have to consciously stay very upright on that one because the bars are too far back for my taste) and it wasn't an issue. At least not an issue with that particular problem.

She now has an R1200R and there it wasn't a problem either but I haven't ridden it long enough to be certain (longest ride was 45 minutes or).

Quote:
All I'm saying it maybe it has nothing to do with the bike.
Kind of agreed. It's certainly a combination of existing issues in my shoulders together with sitting in one position for a long time, maybe together with the position itself.

If I could figure out WHAT to change to get it right, I'd do it right away without even thinking about it. But I don't know where the actual problem comes from - bars too close or too far away, too high or too low, too much sweep, not enough sweep? Seat putting my back into a bad position? Whatever it is, it's the one remaining thing I can't seem to get right.

And for comparison: I did three consecutive 16 hour days on my R1200GS and had no shoulder issues at all. Maybe I wasn't quite as f'd up as I am at the moment, but definitely not much better either.

Quote:
If you numb it down then you can't tell when you're really damaging something.
Yep. And I take away efficiency for the next time.

Quote:
Have yet to come home feeling more refreshed and energized than when I left. More like a hot shower and a cold beer later
Totally true, but fatigue vs predictable, constant pain is quite a different story. I have been riding for years and given my experience with working at a desk too much, plus driving or riding for too long during different times in my life tells me that something that either is wrong with the body position or something I'm doing or not doing while riding is causing this. It's ike positioning your computer screen not straight in front of you but slightly side ways (even half an inch or so) can cause very similar issues.

Either I'll figure it out our it'll go away (hopefully) when I switch bikes again. I'm not known to stay on any given bike all too long anyways ...
Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #17570
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:

Although, 43 (not quite, but close enough) isn't old enough to have these issues in my opinion.
Um yeah, plenty old.

My first whiplash was at 21. At least a half dozen injuries over the following 30 years. I call it my Rice Krispies back...snap crackle and pop. Three different months-long chiropractor sessions that got my back to the point it was a noodle and would never stay in place. I can't pickup more than 50 pounds or I compress the disc and get a headache. God help me if I have to pick up a dropped bike. So I just don't do that - drop them that is.

Didn't you just have a pretty serious bike wreck on your Tiger? Did you have the pain before the wreck?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #17571
cug
--

Quote:
Didn't you just have a pretty serious bike wreck on your Tiger? Did you have the pain before the wreck?
Yeah, I started having these issues after about 2k miles on the Tiger last year. It's at 11k now, the accident traces are all gone by now (on bike as well as on myself), the bike is probably in better shape than it was before and I know way more about how all things are built in the front end ...

The last thing that needed sorting technically was a pulsing when braking, a warped disk caused that and a new disk fixed it quite nicely. During that time I also installed a beak:

Price was pretty good at Bike Bandit, around $80, but when you get individual parts instead of the kit, the site misses two bolts. I had some at home which, combined with washers, did the trick, just be aware that if you order the items individually, four of these:

4x SCREW, LGE HEAD, M5x16

are not enough. The actual kit comes with

2x Screw, M5 x 14 mm

in addition to the ones above. Anyways, it was a less pricey way of getting the beak and it looks pretty good in my opinion.

Side view, although not a very good one with the dark green in the background:

Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #17572
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:

I have ridden the F650GS (have to consciously stay very upright on that one because the bars are too far back for my taste) and it wasn't an issue. At least not an issue with that particular problem.

She now has an R1200R and there it wasn't a problem either but I haven't ridden it long enough to be certain (longest ride was 45 minutes or).

Kind of agreed. It's certainly a combination of existing issues in my shoulders together with sitting in one position for a long time, maybe together with the position itself.

If I could figure out WHAT to change to get it right, I'd do it right away without even thinking about it. But I don't know where the actual problem comes from - bars too close or too far away, too high or too low, too much sweep, not enough sweep? Seat putting my back into a bad position? Whatever it is, it's the one remaining thing I can't seem to get right.

And for comparison: I did three consecutive 16 hour days on my R1200GS and had no shoulder issues at all. Maybe I wasn't quite as f'd up as I am at the moment, but definitely not much better either.

Yep. And I take away efficiency for the next time.

Totally true, but fatigue vs predictable, constant pain is quite a different story. I have been riding for years and given my experience with working at a desk too much, plus driving or riding for too long during different times in my life tells me that something that either is wrong with the body position or something I'm doing or not doing while riding is causing this. It's ike positioning your computer screen not straight in front of you but slightly side ways (even half an inch or so) can cause very similar issues.

Either I'll figure it out our it'll go away (hopefully) when I switch bikes again. I'm not known to stay on any given bike all too long anyways ...
Do you ever stand while riding? Just wondering if it could help. My wife and I both stand if we've been riding a long stretch, or in the dirt. Gives your muscles a good stretch and for me my legs. I end up riding for 20-30 minutes standing sometimes. Jodie gets some looks while standing on her Street Triple.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #17573
cug
--

I do that from time to time as it is an easy way to force a different posture.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #17574
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

I'm pretty sure standing up is illegal in most cities/states, especially California.

I do it anyway, but not for any distance. One of my 990 buddies is also a trials rider and he's always standing on that stupid thing!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #17575
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,307

These bikes look so much better, with a beak.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #17576
cug
--

Quote:
I'm pretty sure standing up is illegal in most cities/states, especially California.
To be honest - I don't give a ****. If I get a cramp or ride over an obstacle or ... I stand up. If I get a ticket, I'll fight it.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #17577
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
You can't polish a turd.

You most certainly can.
XCRider803 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #17578
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
JMHO...

Geez, you guys and your bars. I know, you want them 'just right'.

Seriously, the stock XC bars seem a little odd at first, but they are desinged to 'encourage' you to take an attack stance, and they are intentionally wider for greater leverage to control a big bike in rougher conditions than just smooth pavement. This is an adventue bike not a cruiser. I know, some of you want to adjust whatever you get for cruiser comfort - swept back bars, hiway pegs, etc. etc. The Brits tend to take a pretty aggressive stance to their riding. This is a performance bike after all.

If your grip is putting pressure on your thumb and the inside of your palm then you just need to bend your arms at the elbow a little more, that will neutralize the pressure. Same for height - if the bars are a bit low you bend your knees more when standing. For sitting? You guys are raising your bars for sitting? Again, I understand if you're 6-4 and hunched over - different deal there.

Bike design parameters tend to be optimized for an average rider, 5-8 to 6', 165 to 200 lbs. If you're outside of that some mods may be necessary. Otherwise, consider adapting to what the designer intended. I know, you tried it and just didn't like it. Or, some you just can't leave well enough alone.

So that's my take. Please don't be offended.

Totally agree. Good points.
XCRider803 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #17579
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,269
Quote:
JMHO...

Seriously, the stock XC bars seem a little odd at first, but they are desinged to 'encourage' you to take an attack stance, and they are intentionally wider for greater leverage to control a big bike in rougher conditions than just smooth pavement. This is an adventue bike not a cruiser. I know, some of you want to adjust whatever you get for cruiser comfort - swept back bars, hiway pegs, etc. etc. The Brits tend to take a pretty aggressive stance to their riding. This is a performance bike after all.

If your grip is putting pressure on your thumb and the inside of your palm then you just need to bend your arms at the elbow a little more, that will neutralize the pressure. Same for height - if the bars are a bit low you bend your knees more when standing. For sitting? You guys are raising your bars for sitting? Again, I understand if you're 6-4 and hunched over - different deal there.

Bike design parameters tend to be optimized for an average rider, 5-8 to 6', 165 to 200 lbs. If you're outside of that some mods may be necessary. Otherwise, consider adapting to what the designer intended. I know, you tried it and just didn't like it. Or, some you just can't leave well enough alone.

I fit squarely in the size range you mentioned - 5'8" and 170 Lbs, 30" inseam. I was ok with the stock bars and 2" rox risers for a while, but not so much anymore. The problem isn't the bike, it's me. Severe tendon deterioration in both elbows, the lasting byproduct of 20 years turning wrenches in the auto business. No amount of "attack" stance is going to circumvent the issues, and even if it did I wouldn't want to spend a 600 mile day frozen in that position.

For me, chasing after the right set of bars - now waiting for my 3rd set to arrive - is more of a statement about how much I love this motorcycle. I don't want to give up on it, but I don't want to be miserable during a long ride. My T800 Roadie has a fairly ridiculous amount of accessories. If I can work out the comfort issues with the handlebars it will get some other things you might consider to be ridiculous, such as an electronic cruise control (THAT has no business on a bike like this, right!?!?). Again, I'm looking for elbow relief when traveling. If I can't work out the bar issues it will get a new owner. This is pretty much the last vestibule of a performance bike for me. If I can't make it work I'll likely find myself on a Road King or one of the new Moto Guzzi Cali 1400's. I'm not ready to give up the performance, but the need to be comfortable is starting to become more important than great handling. Whether it seems silly or not to someone who isn't dealing with these physical issues is irrelevant. I need to attain a greater level of comfort, and I'd really like that to happen on this bike. Besides, I have clear title and am not interested in a large motorcycle loan if I can avoid it.

So I'll keep chasing the comfort issues and try to keep riding this bike. Until I can't, of course. I may have my answer by the weekend.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #17580
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,890
Quote:
JMHO...

The problem is that this bike is not a performance, nor an adventure bike, in what relates to its handlebar.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote