ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #1756
WormShanks
b00b
 
WormShanks's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: NW
Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter
As a fellow size 13 boot guy myself i noticed that earlier but dismissed it as just the way the pic was taken. I figured that bar was further in than the brake lever. ?? There will be plenty of crash bar versions available soon i'd guess to if its not an illusion.
Yeah, like when you scroll down a couple pictures and see it from this angle it looks fine?

__________________

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #1757
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gryphon12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Carnation, WA USA
Oddometer: 1,333
The BMW F800's (all of them) have welded passenger pegs, too. And, no, they didn't "fix" them in year 2, 3, 4 or 5.

IF I were to own any of these, I would cut the pegs off, weld on a CNC plate drilled and tapped, and bolt on proper, removable passenger pegs. Then I'd un-bolt them and ride solo.
__________________
1990 Honda NT-650 Hawk-GT

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #1758
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr
 
orlando_orange's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: back in noo zillund
Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
You ride offroad ? I dont mean that in a demeaning way either Merc.
Try dabbing your foot, which you will a lot offroad with the bike.
With those outriggers, your "knickers will be in a twist" l
literally.
i think what everyone seems to have missed is that the bracket is welded to the frame, but the actual footpeg is only fixed with a pin and circlip so this is easily removable and therefore there should be no problem with "dabbing":

__________________
...waiting for a new bike...
orlando_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #1759
Trumansky
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 4
The instruments
Trumansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #1760
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Dandenong Ranges, Australia
Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange
i think what everyone seems to have missed is that the bracket is welded to the frame, but the actual footpeg is only fixed with a pin and circlip so this is easily removable and therefore there should be no problem with "dabbing":

I think the problem for the complainers is that the bracket angles out from the frame. On the right side it needs to because of the exhaust but on the left it only does it for the sake of symmetry. The perception is the the bracket will get bend and I guess the assumption is that it will get bent whether or not the footpeg is fitted.
Doesn't worry me but it does others so that makes me happy because obviously those people will not be in line to buy making the queue shorter.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #1761
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Dandenong Ranges, Australia
Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumansky
The instruments
They look like another bike. May be the same instrument panel but it's not a Tiger 800.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #1762
Keithy
Chaotically Keith
 
Keithy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Leeds England
Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange
i think what everyone seems to have missed is that the bracket is welded to the frame, but the actual footpeg is only fixed with a pin and circlip so this is easily removable and therefore there should be no problem with "dabbing":
Might be advantageous to sharpen the empty bracket too once the peg is removed.....Should be able to slice through boots then

Probably the peg bracket will bend or snap off long before frame damage occurs......I'd never consider making an insurance claim for damage that was my fault....The insurance would without any shadow of doubt increase massively on renewal.....As in increase by the cost of the repairs.
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #1763
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dmarino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Oddometer: 203
Triumph Tiger 800 first ride - 'the ergonomics are spot on'


Dmarino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 AM   #1764
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to
 
Birdy68's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Bad Zurzach, Switzerland
Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumansky
The instruments



- Cool Water Temperature
- Gear Position
...and no flicking around with the 'function' button - BECAUSE:
- CLOCK, TRIP & GEAR Position SIMULTANEOUSLY visible.

__________________
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they're hot!
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:31 AM   #1765
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr
 
orlando_orange's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: back in noo zillund
Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
I think the problem for the complainers is that the bracket angles out from the frame. On the right side it needs to because of the exhaust but on the left it only does it for the sake of symmetry. The perception is the the bracket will get bend and I guess the assumption is that it will get bent whether or not the footpeg is fitted.
Doesn't worry me but it does others so that makes me happy because obviously those people will not be in line to buy making the queue shorter.
i disagree - i don't think this is a problem for the complainers i think it's just what they are looking for: a small fault to complain about and blow out of all proportion!
__________________
...waiting for a new bike...
orlando_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #1766
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to
 
Birdy68's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Bad Zurzach, Switzerland
Oddometer: 90
Truuuuue!

Some would say that there's a fly in their soup!
I would say there's additional protein in my soup...

It all depends on how you WANT to look at it!
There's many roads to Rome - which one will you take?
__________________
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they're hot!
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #1767
switch
Romanian Trailbiker
 
switch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Nope, not an open clutch cover, it's just a guard for the clutch, but not seeing the point of it. If the chain was on that side, maybe to protect the clutch cover from being ripped open by the chain but I just don't see much damage happening to the clutch cover in that area.
I think it's there to protect from rubbing wear. The footpeg mounts on my R1100GS clearly show their age from rubbing my riding boots on them all day. I only ride with motocross boots and that's a contributing factor. Same for the Clutch housing on my other bike. I wished they made fiber/carbon/aluminum protections like this triumph has right there.
__________________
No bikes right now :( Used to own the best dommie in Romania and a damn-good R1100GS. Modded the hell out of both before selling them. Looking to get another bike soon.
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #1768
thephantom
Two-wheeled wanderer
 
thephantom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange
i disagree - i don't think this is a problem for the complainers i think it's just what they are looking for: a small fault to complain about and blow out of all proportion!
The Visordown journalist raised the issue with the Triumph product manager, who basically said it was the cheapest solution. A journalist raised the issue again at the Tiger 800 launch when a bike was crashed and the rear footpeg was damaged, so this could be something that the press mention in reviews putting off potential purchasers. An easy "credibility enhancing" improvement they could have made over the F800GS, but didn't.

As far as I am concerned, it was a bad design choice. Would have been ok for the Tiger 800, but is less good for the XC and they understandably want to share the same frame.

It wouldn't put me off buying one, but given the choice, I would rather pay another 40-50 and have them fit bolt on footpegs.
thephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #1769
beep
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange
i disagree - i don't think this is a problem for the complainers i think it's just what they are looking for: a small fault to complain about and blow out of all proportion!
It probably is being blown out of proportion, but as a design "feature" it's pretty poorly thought out. I had a Suzuki Bandit nearly written off by the same design fault and that was after one slow speed slide down the road. It cost over 2000+ ($3000+) to repair for what could have been a 500 repair, without the new frame. Suzuki eventually designed this out of most of their bikes. To design this into a bike that's likely to end up on it's side at some point, if used offroad, is just cheap. Won't stop me buying one though
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #1770
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Jonny955's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Horsham, Sussex
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
I think the problem for the complainers is that the bracket angles out from the frame. On the right side it needs to because of the exhaust but on the left it only does it for the sake of symmetry. The perception is the the bracket will get bend and I guess the assumption is that it will get bent whether or not the footpeg is fitted.
Doesn't worry me but it does others so that makes me happy because obviously those people will not be in line to buy making the queue shorter.
The 'bracket' appears to be strong compared to those huge loops of steel you sometimes see on crash bars. I would expect it to act as a crash bar if the bike fell over, though of course the severity of such a fall would dictate whether any damage would occur.

My 955i has a similar arrangement and it's been over on it's ear on several occasions (off road). The welded-on pillion brackets have not been bent or damaged even though they do stick out, especially on the left. Items further fowards such as the handlebars and the engine crashbars have taken the brunt of the impact. I have known of minor damage to other 955i Tigers in this area, resulting in a break to the paint around the weld however there is always a fix (such as re-welding the brackets).

If you regularly ride off-road, you've got to expect your bike to take a few hits and you've got to expect to have to fix it or even modify it beforehand. There isn't a bike out there that is damage-proof just yet! If it isn't the pillion peg brackets it could be the front wheel on a heavy rut.

I'd have preferred to see bolt-on replaceablle hangers too but it's no show-stopper. It's a fantastic looking bike and I can't wait to crawl all over it at the NEC bike show.

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015