Bought my XC for 10800. Adding in tax, fees and tags came to 12380 OTD
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #17807
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
This is where they made back some of their gross. You got a deal, $520 less than I paid for mine. Your dealer operates on a little smaller margin. I've never minded a dealer making some money on a sale.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #17808
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
This is where they made back some of their gross. You got a deal, $520 less than I paid for mine. Your dealer operates on a little smaller margin. I've never minded a dealer making some money on a sale.
Yes and I was ok with that. I haggled with 4 different dealers shooting for a price of msrp OTD. Lowest I got was 12.4k. Went into this dealer and told them this is all I would pay and they took it. It was a blah experience.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #17809
scanda
Trooper

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Yes and I was ok with that. I haggled with 4 different dealers shooting for a price of msrp OTD. Lowest I got was 12.4k. Went into this dealer and told them this is all I would pay and they took it. It was a blah experience.
Looks like I am 1.5 hrs from you, who did you end up buying from? I know its fun for some, but I hate the haggle experience. I just want a price and no hard feelings if its too high, I just move on.
scanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #17810
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanda View Post
Looks like I am 1.5 hrs from you, who did you end up buying from? I know its fun for some, but I hate the haggle experience. I just want a price and no hard feelings if its too high, I just move on.
Orlando Triumph Magic City. Not sure if I could recommend them or not. The whole transaction was very non personal, all business. I was really looking for a place that would welcome me in and be happy to have me as a customer, just didnt get that vibe there. However, they matched the price I had and I didnt want to drive 2 hours to get that happy vibe.

I don't really like haggling either but when I have 3 dealers offering the same OTD price, the 4th better match or I walk. I honestly expected more of a fight and was a little surprised how quickly they agreed. First offer was 13.2K and I told them no way and that x,y, and z dealer offered this price, and after 10 minutes of manager talk, they agreed.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #17811
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,009
You guys should come up to CT... I just got my XC - ABS OTD for 11,600 with the crash bar and skid plate installed, and adjustable lower links so I can get used to the bike before jacking it up on my tippy toes at stops. It is quite tall..

A bit of a numb experience, but mostly because they were a mad house over the holiday. They've sold 10:1 roadies to XC's and it had a little dust on it. I told him I was just waiting til spring and he said he'd take $1000 off.... SOLD.

btao screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 01:20 PM
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #17812
Randyincolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Holy crap! $1,580 for tax, fee's, and tags?????

What are the fee's? I thought it was cheap to register a bike in Florida?

I just purchased my XC last Friday. $11,150 OTD then I paid the tax and registration myself. More importantly is was a nice buying experience as I did the deal via email and one phone call. Dealer was up front, easy to deal with, and had the bike ready when he promised he would. My price did include a $350 "rebate" for being retired military.
Randyincolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #17813
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyincolo View Post

I just purchased my XC last Friday. $11,150 OTD then I paid the tax and registration myself. More importantly is was a nice buying experience as I did the deal via email and one phone call. Dealer was up front, easy to deal with, and had the bike ready when he promised he would. My price did include a $350 "rebate" for being retired military.
Just never understood the whole "what did you pay for your bike" question. Unless you're buying in the same state, from the same dealer then you're never comparing apples to apples. Bikes will always sell for MSRP in some places, like where a dealer can sell every bike he gets, why would he discount? And for bikes that have been sitting for awhile, sure you MAY get a discount but why does everybody want to beat up on their local dealers? I don't know of a single dealer I've ever dealt with who is getting rich, making some money, sure but getting rich. Nope.

We like having a dealer there to try on gear, sit on new bikes etc. We don't haggle, we pay their posted price and don't try to drive them into the ground on the bike sale. Without fail we have always been offered a discount on gear and accessories. We have saved WAY more over the years on gear than we ever would have trying to get "the best deal" on the bike.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #17814
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Your bikes are so cheap. I got a price for a roadie ABS yesterday. Total ride away price $15,890 Aussie ($14,897 US) apparently there has just been a $100 dollar price drop.

Can any one confirm that they didn't make any 2013 models in Venom Yellow? That is the colour I want and apparently is available. I think it must be left over 2012 but the dealer didn't know.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #17815
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
Your bikes are so cheap. I got a price for a roadie ABS yesterday. Total ride away price $15,890 Aussie ($14,897 US) apparently there has just been a $100 dollar price drop.

Can any one confirm that they didn't make any 2013 models in Venom Yellow? That is the colour I want and apparently is available. I think it must be left over 2012 but the dealer didn't know.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.
In the US, at least, Black and White were available in '12 and '13. Venom Yellow was a '12 color, with Saphire Blue replacing it in '13. FWIW, I walked out the door with a '13 Roadie ABS with a bunch of OEM farkles installed (engine guard, heated grips, 50L bag, beak, radiator guard, TPS, and a few other minor odds and ends) for just under $14k (incl. taxes and registration).
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #17816
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Just never understood the whole "what did you pay for your bike" question. Unless you're buying in the same state, from the same dealer then you're never comparing apples to apples. Bikes will always sell for MSRP in some places, like where a dealer can sell every bike he gets, why would he discount? And for bikes that have been sitting for awhile, sure you MAY get a discount but why does everybody want to beat up on their local dealers? I don't know of a single dealer I've ever dealt with who is getting rich, making some money, sure but getting rich. Nope.

We like having a dealer there to try on gear, sit on new bikes etc. We don't haggle, we pay their posted price and don't try to drive them into the ground on the bike sale. Without fail we have always been offered a discount on gear and accessories. We have saved WAY more over the years on gear than we ever would have trying to get "the best deal" on the bike.

Because most things are nogotiated or haggled for here in the states. The seller tries to get as much as they can and the buyer tries to get as much off as they can. It's what we do. Some are better at it than others. The ones that aren't pay more. It's that simple. The ones that whine about not wanting to negotiate a better deal pay whatever the seller asks. They call them a roll-over, and they'll try to make as much money as they can on them.

Let's put it this way, the dealer isn't going to sell it for less than he thinks he can get for it in his selling market. If you knew you could get a thousand dollars off the price by knowing you could going in, why wouldn't you? I know, you'd just give them an extra grand just for the hell of it, right?

A dealer will charge local freight, even if they pick them up. They'll charge for setup even though the factory pays them for it. They'll charge for sending their 'girl' to DMV for title work and plates. And they'll try to get full factory suggested retail price if they can. So you can either pay it all without a whimper, or know what is negotiable and what isn't, and make your best deal. In the car biz they'll even add on additional markup for something rare or limited editions, just because they can - someone will come along and pay it. At least they are starting from a higher negotiating point.

A high volume dealer accepts a smaller gross on each vehicle and makes it up on the total number othey sell. They wouldn't build huge fancy multi-million dollar showrooms and shops if they weren't making any money.

IMHO, their success is not on my back, it's up to them and how well they do as a business person. I'm going to try to get the best deal I can. In our area we have maybe five different dealers selling the same thing, for the really popular brands there are many more. If the guy down the street wants your business bad enough and will save you some money, why not go there? Everyone likes to get a 'good deal'. This is just basic business 101 in America.

In some out of the way place, perhaps where you are, maybe there's only one dealer you can buy from. That doesn't give you much leverage for negotiating if you want to try and maintain some kind of relationship with them.

In any case, I don't believe in trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the deal. I think the sales guy should get a commission and the store should make some money.

EDIT: Just to add something about dealers...my dealer is in the very high-end of town - Newport Beach. A building lot on the harbor is worth over a million dollars. They sell a LOT of bikes. I didn't think I would get a decent buy from them just because of where they are, but I did, and they spoil their customers - service levels and attitude is very high. The sell Ducati and Triumph. Here's their list of acheivements since start up:

2013 - Dealer News: Top 100 Best Dealer in the Nation
2013 - Dealer News: Best Use of Space
-
2012 - Ducati Top Sales: North America
2012 - Ducati Top Sales: Southwest Region
2012 -
Dealer News: Top 100 Best Dealer in the Nation
-
2011 - Ducati Top Sales: North America

2011 - Ducati Top Sales: Southwest Region
2011 -
Dealer News: Top 100 Best Dealer in the Nation
2011 - Dealer News: Best Use of Space
-
2010 - Ducati Top Sales: Southwest Region
-
2009 - Ducati: National Best New Dealer

browneye screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 03:09 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #17817
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
2014 models

3 years is a pretty average lifespan for a bike like the tiger 800 to go before some noticeable changes in the model. While I think it has sold well for triumph I would suspect some tweaks are on the way. A change in gearing (lower 1st and taller 6th) seems like a no brainer as does improvement to the Roadie suspension but usually we get stuck with cosmetic changes.
Anyone here anything about any changes in the 2014 model?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #17818
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
I paid $22,000. Sounds like I got hosed.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #17819
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
The bike was the cheap part for me...
By the time I had bought the GAP insurance, pre-paid the first 4 years of services up front, then ticked the box for all the options and accessories I liked the look of, then bought a load of aftermarket parts and luggage, oh and treated myself to full set of new top-to-tow riding gear, I had pretty much spent the value of the bike over again!
Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #17820
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyincolo View Post

$760 in sales tax, 500 dealer fee plus tag and title fees. Never cheap I will have to did out the invoice for the exact amounts.

Edit: looking at purchase order. Sales price $10850. Reduced from $11999.
$595 dealer/admin fee. Sales tax $766.64. Tag and title $90.10. At the time this was a good price. Seems now sales have dropped and dealers are lowering price more.

cory1848 screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 03:34 PM
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote