Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #17806
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
Nice I did the same thing today. Except it was on a rocky, steep downhill trail. Probably way too extreme for this bike but what the hell, I was having fun and the Triumph skid plate was working great . Soooo much fun in the mud and water too I almost forgot I wasn't riding a dirt bike today. Eh, that is until I fell and had to pick it up and get it to rideable condition to get home again

Dented the tank a bit, scraped up some plastics and mirrors, broke a turn signal cover. Bent the kickstand switch plunger too, so I had to pry that out once I figured out why my bike wasn't running and not put the kickstand down after that. Twisted the forks too so I had to untwist as best I could until I could get home to loosen the triple clamps. Straight as an arrow now Also think I slightly bent my right side Triumph panniers lower mount bar. I say slightly because the pannier still went on, albeit much tighter and more difficult than usual. Oh well, no biggie GlobeScouts are in my very near future anyway

Dammit I should've took a picture of it down! Stupid me and my rush to stand her up.

btw - This was while rocking a stock scorpion front tire with 13,500 miles on it Thankfully the K60 arrived yesterday and it goes on Thursday. Just waiting on some rears to get back in stock places.

pps - That stupid kickstand switch is permanently getting ziptied out of the way once I get a new one. Actually may just not get a new one and move it. Thing sucks.
'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)

TigerMarker screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 06:15 PM
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #17807
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
Yea f it I just moved it and zip tied it away above the evap canistor.
'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #17808
youtalkintome?
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Or, you could remove the switch and scotch lock the kickstand switch wires together.
youtalkintome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #17809
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Thanks for the feedback on tire size, folks. I figured it would be fine, since a 100/90 and 110/80 are so very close in overall size, but figured I would run it by this brain trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Point to note is that Triumph have a dual spec for the 800 front tyre. Either 100/90 or 110/80.
Where is that published? Section 1.36 (Full Specification) of the Factory Service Manual says "Front Tyre Size 100/90 - 19" and nothing more.
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #17810
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thumbs down Dumba$$

Dropped my Tiger in the driveway... Looking for a replacement signal light lens. I found one on bikebandit.com but it tried to charge me for 4 at $10 ea. Any other suggestions other than the dealer.

Thanks.

BTW, broke the clutch lever too.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #17811
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
The Tiger signals are fairly generic. Bring it to your closest motorcycle dealer (doesn't need to be Triumph) or accessory store and try and match it up. (I bought a bulb for one of mine by pointing to a bike on the floor at the local HD dealer and telling them I needed a bulb for one of those.)
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #17812
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDOC View Post
Dropped my Tiger in the driveway... Looking for a replacement signal light lens. I found one on bikebandit.com but it tried to charge me for 4 at $10 ea. Any other suggestions other than the dealer.

Thanks.

BTW, broke the clutch lever too.

You must be entering something wrong. Bike Bandit lets me select just one. I have a spare new one that I bought from Bike Bandit when I wasn't sure if the indicator assy that I was buying included the lens.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #17813
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
You can buy just one. Enter "1" in the quantity field and click add to cart.

2wheelpros.com is another source I use for OE parts.
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #17814
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
You can buy just one. Enter "1" in the quantity field and click add to cart.

2wheelpros.com is another source I use for OE parts.
Thanks. Will try it again. I entered "1" and when I to check-out it was $40... I will try it again.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #17815
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Thanks guys. Order confirmed!!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #17816
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I'm going to attempt to do my own oil change on my 800XC this week. I'm a complete newbie to maintenance, but I think that the oil change is probably a reasonable place for me to start.

What tools will I need to do the oil change? I am thinking a torque wrench (for the filter & drain plug), an oil filter adapter for the wrench, and a set of hex bit sockets (metric?). Have I missed anything else?

I have the filter, crush washer, and oil, which I believe is all the stuff that I will need...
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #17817
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I'm going to attempt to do my own oil change on my 800XC this week. I'm a complete newbie to maintenance, but I think that the oil change is probably a reasonable place for me to start.

What tools will I need to do the oil change? I am thinking a torque wrench (for the filter & drain plug), an oil filter adapter for the wrench, and a set of hex bit sockets (metric?). Have I missed anything else?

I have the filter, crush washer, and oil, which I believe is all the stuff that I will need...
Don't forget something to catch the old oil.
I like to use a measuring jug to pour the oil
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #17818
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post

be sure to put in LESS than the manual says you need on the refil. Then dribbed it up to where it should be. Otherwise you will end up overfull. Which is a PIA.....
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #17819
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
3 3/4 qts of oil, close enough. If you buy the k & m filter it has a 17mm nut on the end to make it easier next time.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #17820
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
3 3/4 qts of oil, close enough. If you buy the k & m filter it has a 17mm nut on the end to make it easier next time.
I agree with Yankee Dog. Go with less and make it up later. I've over filled mine twice now by using exactly what the manual says.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote