User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #17851
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Time for new tires on my Roadie.

I haven't really been happy with how the OE Pirelli's have been wearing at ~3600 miles, so I'm looking to try something else.

My question: It seems a lot of the road oriented adventure touring tires are only available in 110/80R19 for the front. Has anyone replaced the OE 100/90-19 with a 110/80R19 and been able to tell the difference good or bad?
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #17852
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
I use a Michelin Pilot Road 3 "Trail" in that size, which is basically a road tire in sizes for the dual sport bikes. Did ride on hard pack dirt with it and it was fine. Wouldn't go in anything soft with them - but I wouldn't want to go in any soft dirt with the heavy pig anyways.

Feels definitely different than the Scorpion I had before, but now that I'm used to it in a good way. More neutral steering, rock solid in corners.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #17853
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post

I haven't really been happy with how the OE Pirelli's have been wearing at ~3600 miles, so I'm looking to try something else.

My question: It seems a lot of the road oriented adventure touring tires are only available in 110/80R19 for the front. Has anyone replaced the OE 100/90-19 with a 110/80R19 and been able to tell the difference good or bad?
Either tire size is acceptable on the front of the Roadie. Go forth and pick one.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #17854
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerMarker View Post
Quick question, but the Rox risers that fit the XC also fit the Roadie correct?

These here

http://www.altrider.com/rox-pivoting...dlebar/pid/611

Yes.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #17855
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Either tire size is acceptable on the front of the Roadie. Go forth and pick one.
This made my day. I was really eyeing the new Karoo 3s for when my OEM Scorpions wear out, and was disappointed they didn't have a direct replacement for the front. There won't be any problem w/ the clearance of the front fender? What can I expect as far as handling differences?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #17856
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
With all this talk about ergos I thought I would post up my personal review of the new Sergeant "World Sport Adventure Touring" 2 piece seat set.

Summary: Utter rubbish.

I would post up pictures, but I took it off and put it back in the box and am trying to decide what's next. Send it back or have a local guy do some reshaping.

Overall it has some potential, but has some serious flaws that can only be partially overcome.

The first problem, which is not going to change, is the base. Sergeant makes their own seat base. It is plastic that looks like carbon fiber. It is not, but what it is, is thin and flimsy. It installs nicely and fits okay, but just okay. The seat/tank junction is not as clean as stock. However, as soon as you sit on it, it wiggles around underneath your weight. Also, when you sit on it, it pulls away from the gas tank junction. Now, I'm not as skinny as I used to be, but still only weigh around 195 lbs, so IMO, at that weight there is no way it should do either of these things.

That overall is a minor issue, but the major issue is the shape of the seat. The rear portion of the seat is nicely done and is a much better shape than stock. However, the front of the seat is horrid. It is too wide and forces your legs too far outward at stops. More importantly there is a weird hump or ridge that puts pressure on the backs of my legs which causes my feet to go numb in less than 20 minutes. Sergeant uses a super dense foam, like Corbin does and because it's so dense it does not give under your weight; so that ridge does not disappear, it just puts pressure on either my nerve or the femoral artery and make my feet go numb.

And, lastly, the passenger seat extends back further than stock. I have the Altrider rear rack and they interfere with each other. It makes installation and removal a challenge. Not really a flaw with Sergeant, but something that was not engineered well. However, what is a flaw is the latch. It is too short to just snap into place, like the factory seat. You have to really give it a good whack to get it to latch. Then getting it to unlatch is really a challenge too. In the short term it's not that big of a deal, but long term I think it could lead to excessive wear and tear to Tiger latching mechanism.

IMO, save your money and don't buy this seat.
I have one too.

It puts my legs to sleep as well left leg more then right.

the fit however and the wiggling is not a problem At first I thought I had the same problem but after closer inspection I found that the front of the seat was not fully "seated in the retaining bracket. The back was also not all the way forward, but forward enough to hold it on. I've just stuck with it and continue to ride on it. My leg numbness has gotten better but I will still take it to a local custom seat fabricator and have the foam modified.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #17857
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:

Continental trail attack and trail attack 2. Available in both sizes. Have TA2 on rear and TA on fronts of two tigers right now. We ride a mix of FS roads, and asphalt with an occasional muddy road. They suck in mud. We only end up in it due to unexpected thunderstorms.

The tires are great for everything else. I'm at about 4000 miles on the rear and It's got plenty left. I'm a pretty aggressive rider and live in the mountains of W. NC. I never got more then 800mi's out of a TKC 80 for comparison. after the TKC 80's I ran Heideneau' K60 Scouts. They were marginally better off road but could not compare on road.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #17858
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
I have one too.

It puts my legs to sleep as well left leg more then right.

the fit however and the wiggling is not a problem At first I thought I had the same problem but after closer inspection I found that the front of the seat was not fully "seated in the retaining bracket. The back was also not all the way forward, but forward enough to hold it on. I've just stuck with it and continue to ride on it. My leg numbness has gotten better but I will still take it to a local custom seat fabricator and have the foam modified.
That's what I decided to do. Shipping costs and turn around time were the deciding factor. I'm supposed to pick it up today, so we'll see what happens.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #17859
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Hope you have some seat time prior. Definitely not a beginner bike.[/QUOTE]

Huh? I think it's one of the most forgiving bikes on the road. It will pull 6th gear down to 35 MPH, smooooooth tranny. predictable and linear power delivery, decent stock suspension unless you are going to really push but then you would not be a beginner.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #17860
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
This made my day. I was really eyeing the new Karoo 3s for when my OEM Scorpions wear out, and was disappointed they didn't have a direct replacement for the front. There won't be any problem w/ the clearance of the front fender? What can I expect as far as handling differences?
I can't speak for the Karoos exactly, but you shouldn't have any problems on any tire that size with clearance. I've got K60 Scouts and it's fine.
'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #17861
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:

I'll mention one bad experience... When it came time to replace my stock Scorpions I went with Michelin Anakee2s in the stock sizes - the front only comes in bias-ply in that size. This front was hitting side wear bars in 2.5k while the rear was fine - Michelin partially warranted that tire. Ran two sets of Anakee2s RADIALS (110/80-19 front) after that, and they were awesome. Not sure if the problem was bias-ply vs radial, or I truly had a defective sample, but there not many radials available in 100/90-19 sizes and I prefer to match front / rear tire construction.

Couple thousand Anakee3 radials now... So far, so good.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #17862
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Point to note is that Triumph have a dual spec for the 800 front tyre. Either 100/90 or 110/80.

I'm just on with my 2nd set of replacement tyres, using the 110/80 front sizing. 1st set was Dunlop RoadSmart. Fecking brilliant tyre. 2nd set just gone on are Michelin PR3 Trial, again in 110/80 front. Grip just as well as the Dunlop. Meant to be better in the wet which wil be a good trick because the Dunlops were great. Then again haven't seen any rain for nearly 2 weeks. We're having a bit of a heat wave here. Was 32 degrees C yesterday..
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #17863
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
Continental trail attack and trail attack 2. Available in both sizes. Have TA2 on rear and TA on fronts of two tigers right now. We ride a mix of FS roads, and asphalt with an occasional muddy road. They suck in mud. We only end up in it due to unexpected thunderstorms.

The tires are great for everything else. I'm at about 4000 miles on the rear and It's got plenty left. I'm a pretty aggressive rider and live in the mountains of W. NC. I never got more then 800mi's out of a TKC 80 for comparison. after the TKC 80's I ran Heideneau' K60 Scouts. They were marginally better off road but could not compare on road.
+1 on the mud. But for everything else I've found the Conti Trail Attacks to be very fine tires. Exponentially better than the stock Bridgestone Battle Wings delivered on my '11 XC. At 6K miles they are just now showing wear.

I knew rain was likely but I didn't think it would rain so hard.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #17864
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Nice I did the same thing today. Except it was on a rocky, steep downhill trail. Probably way too extreme for this bike but what the hell, I was having fun and the Triumph skid plate was working great . Soooo much fun in the mud and water too I almost forgot I wasn't riding a dirt bike today. Eh, that is until I fell and had to pick it up and get it to rideable condition to get home again

Dented the tank a bit, scraped up some plastics and mirrors, broke a turn signal cover. Bent the kickstand switch plunger too, so I had to pry that out once I figured out why my bike wasn't running and not put the kickstand down after that. Twisted the forks too so I had to untwist as best I could until I could get home to loosen the triple clamps. Straight as an arrow now Also think I slightly bent my right side Triumph panniers lower mount bar. I say slightly because the pannier still went on, albeit much tighter and more difficult than usual. Oh well, no biggie GlobeScouts are in my very near future anyway

Dammit I should've took a picture of it down! Stupid me and my rush to stand her up.

btw - This was while rocking a stock scorpion front tire with 13,500 miles on it Thankfully the K60 arrived yesterday and it goes on Thursday. Just waiting on some rears to get back in stock places.

pps - That stupid kickstand switch is permanently getting ziptied out of the way once I get a new one. Actually may just not get a new one and move it. Thing sucks.
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)

TigerMarker screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 06:15 PM
Old 07-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #17865
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Yea f it I just moved it and zip tied it away above the evap canistor.
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)