Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #17881
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Did some trail riding again yesterday. Mounted Contour camera on the right side on the engine crash bar. When reviewing the video I noticed that front is using pretty much all it's travel. Ziptie on the fork confirmed it.
What can be done?
Is it bottoming out? Causing problems? Why not use all the travel? That's what it's there for.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #17882
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Over fill as in to the top of the sight glass, or over fill as in it's pissing out some place?

What is the mechanical issue with over fill and will it hurt anything?
Over fill as in, too much oil. In my case above the over fill line in the site glass. The way I understand (I'm no mechanic) if you overfill- the oil pump works harder and can fail, it will spew out of the vent area in the air box, other motor mechanics will overall work harder, and I'm sure others. google it!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #17883
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Is it bottoming out? Causing problems? Why not use all the travel? That's what it's there for.

It is bottoming out.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #17884
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
It is bottoming out.
take it to the dealer and see if it's a warranty issue. or have a suspension shop rebuild them. simply changing fluid levels may help. i had mine done with all racetech components. but they had 15,000 hard miles on them.

also, (and again, i'm no mechanic) if you don't feel a problem through the handlebars. or you aren't getting beat to death. i wouldn't worry about it. the travel is there for a reason.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #17885
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is a screenshot

Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #17886
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Static sag and rider sag

I think the first step is to check the rear sag and set it properly. While we think the issue is the fork or front of the bike, the place to start is the shock and rear of the bike. Once you have established the static sag and rider sag is correct, then you can move on to the front. Good luck.
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #17887
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
I think the first step is to check the rear sag and set it properly. While we think the issue is the fork or front of the bike, the place to start is the shock and rear of the bike. Once you have established the static sag and rider sag is correct, then you can move on to the front. Good luck.

Never done it before. Any advice?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #17888
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
Question for Fork Experts

Quote:
Here is a screenshot

I suppose where the zip tie is set is bottom, right?

My question is whether my raised fender will hit the lower triple on bottoming. Since I don't know exactly where bottom is I can only guess on measuring. I'm coming up with plus or minus about a quarter inch. It may never smash the fender, then again it's a possibility. I guess I could remove the caps and springs and compress full to test, right?

If bottom is as pictured above I think it will clear, maybe with a thwak!

Anyone tested this with the Touratech riser? I can't imagine they would sell a riser if the fender would hit. I have the fork tubes flush with the top clamp for an extra few millimeters of clearance.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #17889
fbj913
I ride

if that fender extender was going to hit or cause a problem, i promise you i would know by now. i know there are others here that would know as well. i wouldn't worry about it. that's my 2c. i know a good suspension guy, if anyone wants to send me a pm i would be happy to share his info. he has torn my forks apart and rebuilt so you know he has an idea of the product.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #17890
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
Thanks for the feedback on tire size, folks. I figured it would be fine, since a 100/90 and 110/80 are so very close in overall size, but figured I would run it by this brain trust.

Where is that published? Section 1.36 (Full Specification) of the Factory Service Manual says "Front Tyre Size 100/90 - 19" and nothing more.
There's an amendment. Service bulletin. Referenced in Tiger800.co.uk

I'm onto my 2nd 110/80 front tyre with no issues at all.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #17891
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Over fill as in to the top of the sight glass, or over fill as in it's pissing out some place?

What is the mechanical issue with over fill and will it hurt anything?
Over filling can lead to a hydraulic lock. Things going bang. As to how much is too much I don't know nor do I want to be a guinea pig for others. That's why I use a graduated jug to refill. From low level to high level is about 500ml.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #17892
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I suppose where the zip tie is set is bottom, right?

My question is whether my raised fender will hit the lower triple on bottoming. Since I don't know exactly where bottom is I can only guess on measuring. I'm coming up with plus or minus about a quarter inch. It may never smash the fender, then again it's a possibility. I guess I could remove the caps and springs and compress full to test, right?

If bottom is as pictured above I think it will clear, maybe with a thwak!

Anyone tested this with the Touratech riser? I can't imagine they would sell a riser if the fender would hit. I have the fork tubes flush with the top clamp for an extra few millimeters of clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
if that fender extender was going to hit or cause a problem, i promise you i would know by now. i know there are others here that would know as well. i wouldn't worry about it. that's my 2c. i know a good suspension guy, if anyone wants to send me a pm i would be happy to share his info. he has torn my forks apart and rebuilt so you know he has an idea of the product.
Check Burren Riders thread. He broke his front fender off but I think he made his own spacer which was a tad longer than the Touratech. His feeling was the Touratech spacer "should" be OK but like you said with a possible light contact.

Found it, yep his were longer than the Touratech risers...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=81

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day Barry,

Funnily enough I think 15mm might be the go after all. I made mine 20mm and after a few crude measurements I deducted that the guard could come in contact with the lower triple clamp at that height, so I rolled it forward a touch to create some clearance. Unfortunately though, it still collected the Allen bolts in the bottom clamp (after bottoming the forks on a rocky trail) and busted the the front guard. The result, half an hour of stuffing around in the bush to clamp it back together and a $359 replacement part on my return.

As an extra precaution, I am going to add some more oil to the forks to restrict the bottoming action a little. The standard air gap is 120mm from what I can gather so I might try 110mm and see how that goes.

Cheers,

Danny

bross screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 01:58 PM
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #17893
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
It is bottoming out.
Check Burren Riders thread for his build up of his XC, tons of good info. Here's his comments about his front end bottoming.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=760
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #17894
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I'm looking into doing the handlebar swap as discussed several pages back. As I'm shopping around, I'm seeing that there are lots of variations, does anyone have the specs for the stock XC bars so I know what to compare against? Even a ballpark figure would be helpful.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #17895
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Check Burren Riders thread. He broke his front fender off but I think he made his own spacer which was a tad longer than the Touratech. His feeling was the Touratech spacer "should" be OK but like you said with a possible light contact.

Found it, yep his were longer than the Touratech risers...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=81

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=454

Thanks. Yeah, mine are about 20mm - about 3/4". I found a pic of the touratech ones and they are definitely shorter.

OTOH, seems rocks or mud on a knobby can also break that fender. Ah well, what to do. The rear brackets are easy to change, but making the fork leg mounts is a little tougher. Do-able, just not as clean. I did the same setup Burren did. Had not seen his and I thought I read that whole thread.

The brake lines need to be split up too instead of the cross over.

Maybe I'll mess with it tonight. Or just take them off. I have a thousand mile trip coming up end of the week.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote